• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

frs/murs cross band link? legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WQFM513

what would be the legality of cross band repeating frs to murs and murs to frs, which would allow frs users to communicate with murs users and murs users to communicate with frs users. it would require one radio for each band, type accepted, patch cable for mic/audio to link both radios, and vox function on both radios.
both services are license free, and say no repeaters. what if i called it a cross band link, not a repeater?
any thoughts? no plans to build such a thing, just curious.

n5ims

both services are license free, and say no repeaters. what if i called it a cross band link, not a repeater?
any thoughts? no plans to build such a thing, just curious.

It really doesn't matter what you call it, a repeater is illegal on those bands. Trying to argue legality by simply changing the name would be like telling the judge and jury that "I didn't really rob that bank, it was just got an intrest free loan that the bank said I didn't have to pay back. After all, your honor, banks all of the time make loans with different terms and at times let folks declare bankrupcy and not pay them back. I just did that process in a single transaction and the bank appeared glad to have me walk out with the money!"

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
why not? both bands are license free, and you wouldn't be transmitting over the legal wattage for the band your radio is in.

NEITHER band allows cross band privledges! Is this simple enough for you.
There is no gray area here.

n9zas

n5ims

why not? both bands are license free, and you wouldn't be transmitting over the legal wattage for the band your radio is in.

Well, for one, the FCC specifically prohibits repeaters on MURS.

Sec. 95.1311 Repeater operations and signal boosters prohibited.

MURS stations are prohibited from operating as a repeater station or
as a signal booster. This prohibition includes store-and-forward packet
operation.

For another, you are prohibited from attaching anything to an FRS radio that is not FCC Certified as part of that FRS radio so this would make it hard to attach a MURS radio to it to allow this repeat function (err. "cross-band link") to work.

Sec. 95.194 (FRS Rule 4) FRS units.

(a) You may only use an FCC certified FRS unit. (You can identify an
FCC certified FRS unit by the label placed on it by the manufacturer.)
(b) You must not make, or have made, any internal modification to an
FRS unit. Any internal modification cancels the FCC certification and
voids your authority to operate the unit in the FRS.
(c) You may not attach any antenna, power amplifier, or other
apparatus to an FRS unit that has not been FCC certified as part of that
FRS unit. There are no exceptions to this rule and attaching any such
apparatus to a FRS unit cancels the FCC certification and voids
everyone's authority to operate the unit in the FRS.
(d) FRS units are prohibited from transmitting data in store-and-
forward packet operation mode.

WQFM513

(Sec. 95.1311)(Sec. 95.194 (FRS Rule 4) FRS units.) this is what im looking for, just saying no no doesnt do s***, my kids proved that one to me. Reason for or why. now that i have an official fcc rule to see, now i know why i cant do it. thanks n5ims for the secs.

D

DaveNF2G

As a rule of thumb, the FCC does not permit crosspatching between different radio services.

Hams can crossband because the frequencies are all in the amateur service. MURS and FRS/GMRS are different services entirely.

roadranger

I am not so sure...

...why you would wan to do that. There wold be little range gain, say to the MURS users, which I am sre that was designed to be a short range, unlicensed service. Imagine not having to cover much distance, for instance in a box store. Main user unnamed, for topic's sake, uses and has used it to cover each store since before being grandfathered in. Anyway, the service is great in most buildings, even up or down a few floors. The service was really meant for short range comms, no matter how many of us do the distance records. Neat Idea, yet many has covered the "why not?" GMRS repeaters seem to be enough. I might get a license yet.

Murstech

No its not legal but.. Guess what Im building?
Its a 25 watt uniden marine radio I have modified to use on MURS. I am using a small FRS walkie talkie to connect to it and making a control board that will act just like the mobile extenders the California Police use.

So.. Right now I get about 8-12 miles on MURS between base and mobile both running 25 watts. What Im going to be able to do is flip a switch in my car to activate the extender. Then when Im in the grocery store I can use a small FRS walkie talkie to talk back to home base!

Since all of this is basically illegal I might as well add a connector to the FRS radio in the car to extend the range. In fact this is all going to be mounted inside a project box and Im going to use a homemade remote control box mounted to my dash.

ThomasMcKean

Its a 25 watt uniden marine radio I have modified to use on MURS. I am using a small FRS walkie talkie to connect to it and making a control board that will act just like the mobile extenders the California Police use.

So.. Right now I get about 8-12 miles on MURS between base and mobile both running 25 watts. What Im going to be able to do is flip a switch in my car to activate the extender. Then when Im in the grocery store I can use a small FRS walkie talkie to talk back to home base!

Since all of this is basically illegal I might as well add a connector to the FRS radio in the car to extend the range. In fact this is all going to be mounted inside a project box and Im going to use a homemade remote control box mounted to my dash.

We'll be checking the papers to see how many thousands of dollars you will owe in fines. :)

jhooten

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Doing it is one thing. Knowing it is illegal and going on an public website and bragging about it is foolish.

How about you post a vid on youtube so the feds have even more evidence? It worked for the toilet bomber.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
You guys are right Jerry.

But you gotta remember that the end results are a form of intertainment for us to read about some body doing something illegal, posting on facebook, youtube or whatever and getting busted. There's lots of times I said to myself, "what a dumba#@"! lol (Not referring to any person on this thread, so please don't take offense.)

BJ_NORTON

If you're going the illegal route, may as well just buy a couple 40 watt maxtracs and program them up on FRS... sure would be a lot simpler way to increase the range :roll:

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber
let be real people. No one will ever notice the cross band is there, and if someone does, he will get a letter.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
let be real people. No one will ever notice the cross band is there, and if someone does, he will get a letter.

Oh yes we would,lol! Do you think we would not notice the delay after each transmission? Or the person listening on the alternate band noticing your delay?
You can't b.s. a b.s'er! :wink:

n9zas

SCPD

QRT
Oh yes we would,lol! Do you think we would not notice the delay after each transmission? Or the person listening on the alternate band noticing your delay?
You can't b.s. a b.s'er! :wink:

n9zas

Very true and some folks make it a point to make it their business....

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

Not to mention hobbyists who monitor both bands, and would hear the obvious link if they're within range of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.