• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

LPE-200 Read Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

roots

Hi All,

here's my situation:

I just got 2 LPE-200 and cannot get programmer to read them. I already have a LPE at home and have no issue with it.

The new I just got, I put them in programming mode, in ProGrammer select LPE (system model)....then the status box open and the % goes up to 100% then I get an error saying:

"Could not initialize radio. Make sure radio is in programming mode, and the programming box or cable is connected to the correct port."

I now my cable/setup is working, since my other radio can be read/write without any problem, it's only those 2 radios!!!

any idea?

thx,

morganAL

I have seen a few with bad connections to the UDC connector on the side. I had to have it replaced to fix it. I also had one that I had to plug in the wall wart for the programming box. I never really dug too deep into that issue but couldn't hurt to try.

yankeephill

The LPE was programed with newer version software, older software will not read it. You can program the LPE with the older software and then be able to read and write with the older version.

roots

when I try to just program the radio, it still says that radio cannot be initialize, but it's in programming mode for sure!!!

It always failed at the "loading ram bootloader"!!!

Should I press program with the radio that is working and when I see the screen to press ok then disconnect the good one and connect the one i'm trying to program?!?

regards,

Last edited:

mitaux8030

Silent Key
Give what Morgan said a try.
The ribbon cable from the UDC to the radio PCB could be faulty. Swap the front face of your working LPE200 to your faulty one, and then try reprogramming. If that works, then its your UDC ribbon cable in the front panel that is the problem.
If this doesn't work, then you've a problem on the PCB and no amount of foolery with the programming process will work.
If it fails at the RAM bootloader phase, then I doubt very much a 'Recovery' will fix things either.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
It's quite possible that the firmware in the radio is too new for the version of programmer you're using.

If you can read it via the revision menu, what firmware is in the radio, and what version was last used to program the radio, and what version of programmer do you have to work with?

If you can get into the radio with hyperterminal, then it's definitely alive and the right software can access it. You might try that, but HDT has to be turned on in the radio for this to work.

Also, be aware, not every cable works for every radio even though they connect up the same. I can't use my cable for P7100s on an LPE or even an older Jaguar.

Elroy

low3oh

Normally a radio programmed with a later version of software will tell you "this radio has been programmed with a later version"... not just error out.

check that the udc contacts are all clean and that the pins in your cable are all making good connections.

the p7100 cable should work on a jag and lpe200 as well, as i used one cable for a multitude of rebanding on all sorts of portable platforms. Price Industries makes some nice cables that seem to work across platforms.

Can you get anywhere in radio maintenance?

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
The ribless cable for p7100s that also doubles as a keyloader cable will not work on a Jaguar. This is certain.

However, the cable that works with the TQ3370 rib box, does work with everything with a similar connector. LPE, Prism, M-RK, jaguars, P5100, P7100, P7200.

Go figure...the older cable is more universal than the newer one.

Elroyi

low3oh

The ribless cable for p7100s that also doubles as a keyloader cable will not work on a Jaguar. This is certain.

However, the cable that works with the TQ3370 rib box, does work with everything with a similar connector. LPE, Prism, M-RK, jaguars, P5100, P7100, P7200.

Go figure...the older cable is more universal than the newer one.

Elroyi

Sorry, but you are wrong. I have personally programmed hundreds if not thousands of mrk, lpe200, p71, etc radios with a ribless cable with both programmer and RPM.

Last edited:

low3oh

To be clear, i use the square connector cable that attaches via the screw hole for the udc cover, not the 1/4 turn twist-lock style that attaches below the udc.

Last edited:

WPXS472

I know this is a very old topic, but I am having the same problem with a new/old stock scan model I bought off eBay. I know the cable is good and software is working because I read another radio and it worked fine. Did anyone ever come up with a sure fix? I will disassemble the radio and put another cover on it to see if that helps.

Fearthis50

Wpxs if housing dont work I've seen older lpe not work with ribless .they would only program with Ericsson rib and cable

WPXS472

If that's the case, then I am out of luck. I only have a ribless cable, and for a couple of radios, I don't think I want to go to the expense and bother of obtaining a genuine GE rib and cable. I wonder just what the difference is. Is there a way to tell the age of one of these?

WPXS472

I bought another one from the same vendor and it reads just fine. Serial number is actually lower than the previous one, so I don't think it is an age issue. Any other ideas? I can always use the case to spruce up an older, beat up one, and maybe get a few good parts out of it.

Fearthis50

I believe it was an old Ericsson one I had problems with.easiset way is swap case from good one very easy to do

Status
Not open for further replies.