Boyd County Public Safety going Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman977th

Feed Provider
As many of you know, Catlettsburg PD (northeast KY) has been on a digital MotoTRBO system for a while now. Just talked to a former dispatcher at the RPSCC, and he said APD & BCSO are going to be going to the same system in the next few months. Also, all fire departments in the county are going to be switching to P25 VHF systems. RPSCC just put in a modification to their license to add frequencies, change emission designators, mobile/base/repeater sites, etc. We are due to get our radios on our department in the next couple months, so as soon as I find out what's going to be what, I will let you guys know. Kinda sad though, I'll have to get my old Pro-106 fixed/traded to a Pro-197 so I can pick up the system & broadcast it online...

kyguy

I see where they added a few freqs with emission designator of 11K2F3E , I thought that mototrbo was 7K60FXE - or does it matter for the designator??? now I'm confused - again !!! :confused:

iceman977th

Feed Provider
I see where they added a few freqs with emission designator of 11K2F3E , I thought that mototrbo was 7K60FXE - or does it matter for the designator??? now I'm confused - again !!! :confused:

As am I. I just talked to our fire chief, & seems like CPD will stay MotoTRBO, while the rest of the county will also go P25. EMS, Coroner, & Fire will be on one system, as for police, I've heard they're going MotoTRBO & now heard they're wanting to go P25 as well...I'll try & gather more info as time goes on, but as for now, Fire & EMS will be P25 digital (Phase II I believe), with the law enforcement up in the air.

kyguy

Is CPD actually motoTRBO ? They just don't sound like the samples I've heard of mototrbo on my radio.

iceman977th

Feed Provider
Is CPD actually motoTRBO ? They just don't sound like the samples I've heard of mototrbo on my radio.

Yeah, it's like a machine gunning sound. Here are the portables they use IIRC. Plus I've talked with my friend who works for EM and the PSCC, and he confirms it is MotoTRBO.

copperhd

Premium Subscriber
Going digital

As of today (8-25-14), I heard the county sheriff say they were testing their digital on F2 & F3 to be switched tomorrow (8-26-14). I could hear them on analog but heard nothing on digital testing. Are they going to different freqs? I know Catlttsburg has been scrambled/unscannable for some time, is the county going to be unscannable also? I have two 996xt scanners & a 396xt, so just going digital wouldn't be a problem. I sure hope they aren't slamming the door on us.

W3DMV

Someone please post how things finally turn out. I went through every license I could find in Boyd County
and could not find any license except for NFM analog. Even the Catlettsburg license (KCZ479)
is FMN analog. It was renewed on 5/30/13 but no other changes were noted. Maybe its
analog encrypted ?
Also checked all the new applications and modifications for the past 365 days and nothing
has been received....

copperhd

Premium Subscriber
Gone digital

As of 9:00 A.M. this morning Boyd county went digital on F2, F3, & F5. There was no scambleing nor trunking, just went digital. They are working on a couple of bugs, but it sounds so much cleaner as if they were in the same room. I'm pretty sure it will help in covering some previous dead spots they have had in the county too.

iceman977th

Feed Provider
Catlettsburg has been operating on a MotoTRBO system for a while now, was previously encrypted but reports are saying that they have removed the encryption, but are still TRBO. I will be in the truck shortly to confirm if they have gone digital or not.

copperhd

Premium Subscriber
They still have a bug in it sometimes, but for the most part it is loud & clear. Now I have to pay a little more attention to tell the difference between KSP & boyd, especially when I,m in the other room dropping logs.

iceman977th

Feed Provider
Been listening intermittently thoughout the day, APD seems like they have little issues, I've heard SO call out for radio checks several times. It does confuse me listening to determine between fire and law, but you can usually tell the difference in Boyd Law and KSP. KSP's system has a bit more of a noise/buzz to it, and the dispatch identifies as Ashland vs. Dispatch. Also the unit #'s are a dead giveaway.

copperhd

Premium Subscriber
I have no issues between APD & AFD 'cause I have them in different systems & rarely listen to both at the same time until I hear a notice from the PD that there is an active fire/accident/emergency. As for the noise on KSP, I have seen other comments (very few) on this, but I have never detected any on my 996xt/396xt at all, just crystal clear audio as if they were in the room with me. When I,m in the other room I,m usually busy with another task and don't pay to much attention to call signs of I.D. numbers, just activity until it get down to an active car chase or robbery, then I look to see who is doing what & activate the proper banks & bands & even more scanners to follow the activity without missing much. If you have a single scanner, trying to follow multiple agencies (especialy on different systems) in a tri-state area you can't help from missing something. I have listened since the early '70s starting with a tuneable radio thru the old crystal sets up til today (remember the old PLECTRONS when they were considered cadillacs?). I don't consider myself an expert on scanning/scanners by a long shot, but I sure don't rely on that rag of an excuse newspaper Ashland puts out to know whats going on around the town/county.

Status
Not open for further replies.