Cheapest scanner that you can talk to people on??

Status
Not open for further replies.

n5ims

There are none. Scanners are receivers only and you can't use them to talk to people using them, only hear what they say using real transmitters or transceivers (combination transmitter/receiver radios). There are some of the transceivers that include limited scanning (generally a maximum of 16 channels).

The cheapest tranceiver you can find are generally the FRS radios available in many stores, including WalMart, Target, Radio Shack, Bass Pro Shop, even 7-11 may have some. They require no license and are generally easy to use. They often come in two packs so you can have one and give one to your buddy that you want to talk to.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Talk to

As replied to on your previous post, SCANNERS ARE RECEIVERS,they do not transmit.

n9zas

Maybe he just wanted to TALK to them even if they would never hear him....j/k Kinda like talking to your TV during Ball games....

Iron Triangle Ohio... otherweise known as Fostoria
talking scanner??

I'd have to agree with the guys here, there is no such thing as a scanner that transmits. They are designed to receive only. You want something to talk to other people with I would recommend that you get a CB, an FRS/GMRS radio...though I wouldn't buy one of them cheap FRS radio's if you gave me the money to buy one....5mile transmit coverage...MY KEESTER!! I'm quite content with my Motorola HT1550 portable, it suits me just fine... or you can take your ham license and fix yourself up with a nice ham radio rig.. I recommend Alinco/Kenwood... Then again they are all pretty good.

Last edited:

QwKiE

try this

Model: MHS75 | Catalog #: 55039748

Uniden® MHS75 Submersible Handheld Two-Way VHF Marine Radio
Holds up to 88 channels it is a scanner type radio in 156-158MHz area..
Covers all USA, International & Canadian marine channels keeping you up-to-date with all the latest
http://www.radioshack.com/graphics/uc/rsk/Support/ProductManuals/55039748_PM_EN.pdf
Somewhere I read you can get 35 miles from this radio correct me if I am wrong about that.
This radio can be found at radio shack on there internet sales for around 80 dollars I sent
the manual link so you can read about this before you buy.
Purchase this at Uniden® MHS75 Submersible Handheld Two-Way VHF Marine Radio - RadioShack.com
Hope the links work but if you have to copy and paste them. I could not get the pic of this radio to work but this is what you might be looking for.

QwKiE

Forgot you don't need a licence to have this matters a fact they want all boats over 14 ft to carry one of these radios for help if you need it on the water ways

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Model: MHS75 | Catalog #: 55039748

Uniden® MHS75 Submersible Handheld Two-Way VHF Marine Radio
Holds up to 88 channels it is a scanner type radio in 156-158MHz area..
Covers all USA, International & Canadian marine channels keeping you up-to-date with all the latest
http://www.radioshack.com/graphics/uc/rsk/Support/ProductManuals/55039748_PM_EN.pdf
Somewhere I read you can get 35 miles from this radio correct me if I am wrong about that.
This radio can be found at radio shack on there internet sales for around 80 dollars I sent
the manual link so you can read about this before you buy.
Purchase this at Uniden® MHS75 Submersible Handheld Two-Way VHF Marine Radio - RadioShack.com
Hope the links work but if you have to copy and paste them. I could not get the pic of this radio to work but this is what you might be looking for.

Ummm no, I don't think we want him bothering the coast guard. :roll:

n9zas

QwKiE

gewecke you should read before you coment I did a lot of research on this radio I was going to buy one for I do a lot of boat site seeing. I listen all the time to them when I got to Pourt Huron.

gewecke

Banned
gewecke you should read before you coment I did a lot of research on this radio I was going to buy one for I do a lot of boat site seeing. I listen all the time to them when I got to Pourt Huron.

Oh, I DID read your post,and it seems like a great marine radio BUT read the previous posts in this thread THEN read between the lines and you'll understand why I said that. :)
This thread is a humorous one.

n9zas

QwKiE

So you think hes a lil kid you were a lil kid at one time to. If he can afford the radio and he learns from it so be it if he gets in trouble so be it to. LITTLE girl next door 14 with a new car and she can't follow the rules but if she gets caught its her problem. this might be a different world today than it was when you were a kid.

QwKiE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the cheapest scanner that you can talk to people on?

This was all I seen from the person you were laughing at was no coments about him doing anything wrong he was just asking a question. I gave him an answer same as I would do for you if I could help you.

gewecke

Banned
So you think hes a lil kid you were a lil kid at one time to. If he can afford the radio and he learns from it so be it if he gets in trouble so be it to. LITTLE girl next door 14 with a new car and she can't follow the rules but if she gets caught its her problem. this might be a different world today than it was when you were a kid.

Well in any case I don't mean any offense to you or the op, but most people who are with it enough to learn of this site and it's content will also know that scanners do not transmit in response to the original ops question.
I'm not sure what relevance marine radios had to begin with but "nuff said". :)

n9zas

gewecke

Banned

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the cheapest scanner that you can talk to people on?

This was all I seen from the person you were laughing at was no coments about him doing anything wrong he was just asking a question. I gave him an answer same as I would do for you if I could help you.

If you scrolled down after the ops question then you would have seen other comments relating to this.

n9zas

QwKiE

But

All that was not by the original poster, so don't blame him for asking a question and trying to get a civil answer from someone that might know something about what hes asking. And this radio I was talking about is a manual and scanner type radio so that the others that are comenting know whats being said he wanted to know if there was a scanner type radio you could talk on and there is just not what your thinking.
BUT nuff said I am done with it to, been interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.