NJ State 800 Smartzone

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Guys,

Here's the latest I am allowed to disseminate to the 'general public' from my inside source at /\/\ about what the NJSP is doing with their radio systems.

First - The 800 MHz system:

• NJSP primary operations are NOT leaving this system!
  • They are working quite diligently to upgrade the main architecture to P25-capable hardware.
  • 3 months ago, they finished upgrading the main system controller from 4.6 to the new 7.x hardware. They are currently working now to link the RF sites back into the 7.x core through the new SmartX site converters via the new routing hardware (way over most people's heads...).
  • The system will be a 'Phase-I' P25 when they do finally chose to make the switch, as the current Quantar repeaters are only capable of FDMA modulation.
  • 'Rank-and-file' road troopers & the like will NOT be encrypted. Certain groups like the CIB & ESU most likely will (for understandable reasons).
Second - The 700 MHz system:

• Will be a full 7.11 'Phase-II' TDMA system. Will share all sites in the southern-half of NJ that the current 800 MHz sites are at. There are certain sites in the north that will be 700-only fill-in transmitters.
  • The NJDOT will be the first users of the system as their full-time mode of operation with AVL's in the trucks.
  • The NJSP will be able to use the system for secondary & special operations as they see fit.
  • They plan to migrate certain other non-NJSP users over to this system, and add other outside agencies that have expressed serious interest in buying subscriber time on the system for their own daily operations (they are still working on the MOU's for this).
  • There is a good chance you will also see some interop & USAI stuff use this system, along with a federal agency or two (none were named).
Lastly - I have NO info regarding time-frames for deployment. He didn't have them either, and I already asked him WAY too many questions! :lol:

GM

Premium Subscriber
I vote to make this thread a "sticky," as it will provide answers to many questions both now and in the future for our participants out there. (It also helps to not make the Middlesex Co. 700 MHz TRS hijacked with this topic.) And as always, thanks Scott for passing along the answers to many questions that a lot of us have out here.

W2SJW

Database Admin
I think we should do the same with my Somerset County Update post as well. When the upgrade there finishes in Q4 of next year, we can drop the sticky...

W2SJW

Database Admin
Small update - the intellirepeater that used to be at the Princeton barracks before it went to a full simulcast site will eventually be set up at division HQ in West Trenton during the upgrade.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks for the info Scott.

If I understand correctly, there will be 700MHz fill-in transmitters where 800MHz has dead spots?

W2SJW

Database Admin
No, the 800MHz & 700MHz systems will be completely separate. All South Jersey repeater sites for the current 800MHz system will also house the 700MHz gear.

In North Jersey, there will be a few extra places that are only 700MHz fill-in sites.

SCPD

QRT
So 700Mhz will exist in the north in the same fashion as the south, just the north will have extra sites?

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
03:00 here in Garden State Radio land. MedCentral, Atlantic, and Monoc are actively doing radio checks on the HERN TG's with all the trauma/major medical centers in NJ. Thought they didn't have to support these anymore as of July?

Last edited:

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
The state isn't supporting the HERN Radios, but the hospitals have the option of picking up the monthly maintenance fee (about $25 a month) and keep the radios.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Dunno what it was but just had i8001 pop up on NJSP North Simulcast. Sounded digital. Any hints? Testing?

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
i8001 is a Radio Repair radio. Probably doing a P25 iCall. I have seen that in the past, although not too often.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
41712 popped up today, P25 digital. Didn't catch the NAC. Was very brief. One of the new F&WS perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.