Help with thin client HP T5720 set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

NR8O

Ok, I'm usually pretty good with computers but getting this thing set up for audio streaming is driving me crazy. What I have is a HP t5720 NX1500 512/512. I've done a clean fresh install of XPe, configured it to boot straight in to Admin access, removed media player and a couple other things to free up some space, etc. I end up with 195 MB used and 292 MB free on the flash drive. I also completely understand how to Enable/Disable EWF and how to commit data to volume once any changes are made

Where I am running in to problems is getting .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 installed and working. I'm downloading HP XPe Add-On (.NET Framework) from the t5720 section of HP's website (file sp40554.exe). I'd like to run Scannercast on this unit. Anyway, I know there are guys on here using this thin client to stream audio so hopefully someone can give me some tips.

Thanks!

Last edited:

NR8O

Disregard. Got it figured out with a tip from Rob_K via private message.

SignalSeeker

Premium Subscriber
Please share the tip. I could not get .Net reloaded on mine so I ordered a 1gig ROM for it. Currently using ?Oddcast? As it does not require .Net and it is very solid.

PeterGV

K1PGV
I dunno... I have multiple HP t5720's with 512/512 running ScannerCast. I just downloaded .Net 2.0 SP2 and installed it.

It might have something to do with the version/packge of XPe that you have installed. There's the 2009 version (sp43289) XP SP3, which is MUCH larger than the 2006 version (sp33234) which is XP SP2. I recommend you use the XP SP2 version. It's designed for systems with 512/512, versions the newer version which is not.

For the purposes of a feed computer (where you're going to be running with EWF and the firewall enabled in any case) there's no practical advantage that I know of to using the XP SP3 version.

Hope that helps,

Peter
K1PGV

Rob_K

Feed Provider
Please share the tip. I could not get .Net reloaded on mine so I ordered a 1gig ROM for it. Currently using ?Oddcast? As it does not require .Net and it is very solid.

I recommended RadioFeed. It detects when .NET isn't installed and gives you a link to download. I've had success with it on my thin client and a XP PC and a Win7 PC.

NR8O

What Rob_K said. The .Net Framework file you need is dotnetfx.exe. You can find it here - Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86)

From my notes, here is the route I took to get my t5720 set up.

I started out by following this MagicJack tutorial and installed a clean version of XPe. Dummies guide: Configure an HP t5700 for MJ using XPe w/SP2 | magicJack and MagicJack Plus Unofficial Support

It will take you through a fresh install and set-up of your thin client so that it will boot right to your desktop with Administrator privileges. Follow it down to the Delete Unnecessary Packages.

One thing I will mention is that I couldn't get the XPe imager file I downloaded to make a bootable USB DOK device on my 8GB USB drive. Luckily I had a 1GB drive sitting here. It uses the FAT file system which has a 4 GB limitation so keep that in mind.

After install, my t5720 C:\ flashdrive had 212 MB of used space and 275 MB free.

To free up some space I grabbed another USB drive I had and downloaded the following files to it.

Remove Media Player - ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp37501-38000/sp37783.exe
Remove Citrix ICA - ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp39001-39500/sp39090.exe
Remove TeemNT - ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp39001-39500/sp39083.exe
Remove SAM - ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp38001-38500/sp38487.exe

Those are the only files I decided to uninstall but there are more available. You can find the above and more at : HP Compaq t5720 Thin Client*-* Download drivers and software - HP Business Support Center

It's a two step process to delete the unnecessary packages. Insert your USB drive into the thin client and surf to the files downloaded above. By double clicking each one, the actual uninstall files you need will unpack and copy to the C:\ flashdrive. The files you need to run are stored in the directory at C:\Program Files\Altiris\eXpress\Deployment Server\RIPs. Navigate there and double click each of the Remove files and let each one do it's thing. You will see some DOS windows open, etc. - give each one some time to do its thing. Once everything is run, it's safe to delete the Deployment Server subdirectory which removes the uninstall files and frees up some flashdrive space. A quick reboot and on my system I ended up with 184 MB used and 303 MB free on my flashdrive. A gain of 28 MB. I'm sure more could be removed but that's as far as I took it.

The only thing left to do is install .NET Framework 2.0 so you can run your feed program of choice. Rob_K went the route of downloading RadioFeed and running that. During the install it will realize you don't have .Net installed and will prompt you to download and run the file dotnetfx.exe mentioned at the beginning of this post. If that works, great, you are done. I wasn't that lucky and ran into a not enough flashdrive space or ram drive space or something like that and had to go a different route.

Here's where I stopped taking notes so hopefully I get this right. First, I downloaded dotnetfx.exe and put it on my USB drive. I created a \temp directory on the same USB drive. I then clicked on Start on my thin client, right clicked My Computer, then Properties, chose the Advanced tab, and finally Environment Variables. Highlight TEMP under variables and click Edit. Change the Variable value to point to the \temp directory on your USB drive. In my case I changed it to D:\temp. Highlight and do the same thing for the TMP variable. Navigate back to your USB drive and double click dotnetfx. If all goes well .NET Framework will install. If I remember right, after the install there was an install file on RAMDrive Z: that I was able to delete but unfortunately I didn't write the filename down. My C:\ flashdrive space after Framework install came out to 320 MB used and 167 MB free so the install used up 136 MB of space.

Anyway, from there you can install and run one of the radio feed clients such as ScannerCast or RadioFeed, both work fine on my thin client. It's been over 5 days since I set mine up running RadioFeed and it has been flawless. You can copy a shortcut of your feed program to your Startup folder in Windows, Commit the changes to memory, and that way if you have a power failure upon reboot it will start your feed program back up.

Hopefully, I got all of this right! Feel free to shoot me a PM or post here with any questions or comments and I'll do my best to help...

73, Ron – NR8O

Last edited:

NR8O

Very much appreciated. I ordered my thin client and its in the mail now. This should really help me set it up.

Good luck! Mine has been chugging away for months now without a reboot feeding two audio streams and I'm sure it could handle a couple more.

supraman762

When making the bootable thumb drive it says to get the tools from the xpe sp2 download. When I click on the downloaded file it wants to extract to z drive which is too small to hold it. It gives me no other options. I'm at a standstill.

I have the t5720

512 model

It has xpe sp3

supraman762

Is there an easy way to clone the 512 memory to the 1gig memory when i get it? I would hate to have to pay someone to do it, money is getting scarce and I really want to get this feed up and going.

supraman762

umm in clone you mean copy it from the 512 to the 1gig ?
If so, is using a USB pen drive suitable ?

I have a 2 gig pen drive and I can use that. But im not sure the details. I know I have to make a bootable pen drive and somehow install XPE to the pen drive. I have tried to do this a few times and have been unable. I am in a little over my head right now and dont really have the money to pay someone to do it.

I have a 512 drive in the TC right now and have followed the above tutorials to the letter and have been unable to make it work. The real problem I believe is that it has XPE SP3 on the TC right now and thats not leaving me with enough space to install the programs to either flash to SP2 or to install .net framework.

So I decided to purchase a 1gig replacement drive in hopes that this would make things a little easier. But now I have the problem of trying to get XPE on the new drive so that I can get things started. Help Please.

SignalSeeker

Premium Subscriber
Here is how I copied mine.

For the cloning I used;
http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/
Download the free Todo version and install it on your regular computer.

Open up Todo and go to build recovery media, you will need a USB thumb drive for it to put the image on. Build the image.

Once that is done you need a USB to IDE/SATA converter such as this;
http://www.frys.com/product/5625211
The main thing you need for this project is going from USB to 2.5 IDE.

Plug your new 1gig drive into the cable adaptor thingy, power supply not used. Also plug in your thumb drive. You need to figure out how to change boot order. On my HP I think it was Del turning post screen. Then set USB highest in boot order.

From there boot it up, you should see Todo starting. Keep tracking of the sizes of your drives, you want to copy from 512mb to 1024mb while not overwriting your thumb (probably wont let you).

Give it a shot, i am at work so that is as best as I can remember it.

Justin

***. Edited post to reflect USB to SATA device I used .***

Last edited:

NR8O

I have a 2 gig pen drive and I can use that. But im not sure the details. I know I have to make a bootable pen drive and somehow install XPE to the pen drive. I have tried to do this a few times and have been unable. I am in a little over my head right now and dont really have the money to pay someone to do it.

I have a 512 drive in the TC right now and have followed the above tutorials to the letter and have been unable to make it work. The real problem I believe is that it has XPE SP3 on the TC right now and thats not leaving me with enough space to install the programs to either flash to SP2 or to install .net framework.

So I decided to purchase a 1gig replacement drive in hopes that this would make things a little easier. But now I have the problem of trying to get XPE on the new drive so that I can get things started. Help Please.

Supraman, did you make a bootable usb drive and install a fresh version of XPe on your thin client?

supraman762

Supraman, did you make a bootable usb drive and install a fresh version of XPe on your thin client?

I made a bootable usb drive (win 98) according to the above listed tutorial. I was unable to install a fresh version of XPE. I dont remember if it was a space issue or if the XPE download had an error I changed the temp drive from the TC ram to the pen drive and that helped but I was still unable to get it done. It has been a few days since I last tried and I dont remember the exact error message but if needed I will try again when I get home from work this morning and let you know exactally what it says.

supraman762

SignalSeeker

I just ordered that tool you posted, I will follow your instruction as soon as i get the tool and the drive i ordered.

On a side note that tool is going to be a great help because i just had a pc fail and lost a lot of data that i had not yet backed up (grandbaby ultrasound pics, wedding pics, etc...)

Thanks to all who chimed in to help with this. I really appreciate you all.

-Austin

Status
Not open for further replies.