PSR 800 Spectrum Sweep P25 Detect/Decode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ntnahed

I'm in Austin, Texas and I've got a PSR 800 on the way. I D/L'ed the manual, and after having read it was wondering if the Spectrum Sweep close call type feature will detect nearby P25 transmissions and provide audio. Also, anybody monitoring the Austin GATTRS system with a PSR 800? I've had marginal success with a 396t monitoring this multi-site simulcast P25 system. It seems to be notorious for interference and drop-outs, and I'm hoping for more reliable coverage with my new radio.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
The PSR-800 has gotten good reviews here, in Michigan, where we have a statewide P25 system. The county I live in has a simulcast system, which my PSR-500 has a few issues in providing clean signals from. The PSR-800, according to those that have used it, has performed much better.

Hopefully that is the same case for you there.

IowaGuy1603

Like the post above---I monitor a P25 simulcast system that those with a 396 have problems with.

I haven't used it to signal sweep.---------------but having had other scanners with the feature I don't see why it won't work.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
I live in Illinois we have a state wide p25 9600 baud radio system called StarCom21 that I monitor regularly. I have noticed a huge improvement in digital decoding over the Uniden scanners. The 800 even beats my XT on the system. You will love the way the scanner works and all the features it offers when you receive it. I have been a Uniden guy for a long, long time and I still am for the most part but when it comes to multi site p25 systems I haven't had a scanner that works better than my 800's for P25 700/800 MHz systems. Also if you don't already have one go and get a 800 MHz antenna from radio shack it will work great on 700/800 and even work on VHF and UHF also quite well but it really works great with my 800 on 700/800 trunking sites.

Hope this helps,

Bob

ntnahed

Thanks for the replies and info. My 800 should be here before Friday, but I find myself wishing I'd coughed up the extra $20 for next day air. I was considering the PSR 500, a Pro 106 or possibly upgrading my 396t to an XT. Sounds like made the best choice with the 800. As we say in Texas, "YEE-HAW!!!"

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
When you get it feel free to PM, EMAIL, or find me on Yahoo Messenger if you need some help getting started. when I first got it I had it loaded and scanning in about 10 minutes. But the importing and changing of options through the PC Software can get a little confusing at first, this is a completely new approach to a scanner. When you do master it though (and it's ways easier than the PSR-500) you will think it is the best scanner you have ever used. I was skeptical at first about importing things from the on board radio reference library and the new memory style on top of a new approach to memory it made me stop and do a lot of reading before I really got going. Once you get going though it seems limitless, you have 200 V-folders each holding 200 scan lists that can hold as many trunking or conventional channels as you want. you can customize all of it down to the channel level and even pump discriminator audio right to the head phone jack to use with programs like unitrunker and DSD. Well any way all my info is in my profile and I am more than happy to help if you need it. Also I have a couple home patrols and I cant wait to buy the Extreme Upgrade for them, but thats for another thread.

Have fun with your new radio,
Bob

I'm getting one this week use to have the pro-96 and pro-2096 my friend got his a few weeks ago and I'm going for it.I know its going to be hard to use at first and understand how to scan things mine will be all trunking systems so were see good luck ntnahed.

ntnahed

Got my PSR 800 yesterday, and it's up and running. Updated the software and the RR library, and it's kicking a$$! Have a RS 800 mhz antenna on it already, and I'm quite impressed with reception and audio quality. I think I'll keep my 396t for a while - I DO like being able to tune to a specific freq or TG.

Going down to Houston next week, and I'm looking forward to trying it out on a road trip. I think the 800 was a much better choice than the Home Patrol for me. Robert, thanks for the kind offer, and I will be taking you up on it. (Where's the "set password" on the computer program?) Dave, I'm sure you'll find it easy to program the 800. That's the idea! i got mine running in less than an hour with everything updated. And thanks for the links, IAguy...

Status
Not open for further replies.