antenna for GRE PSR800

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRBTRB

My PSR 800 arrived yesterday, After fighting with (wrestling maybe) the software for awhile I was able to get a handle on the basics of programming the unit. One of the things that I knew was coming was an antenna upgrade. I ordered a Radio Shack Magnet-mount mobile scanner antenna Item#: 2102469 most of my monitoring is low band and this should work fine. Reception here is terrible on my previous 3 scanners a similar antenna worked well. In the 25 years I have lived here I have wrestled with 2 way reception. Standard FM radio reception is terrible at best and can vary greatly day to day ( very hilly and my house is in a valley. When I was asst. fire chief we fought with this constantly. Anyhow, I am curious to see what others are using for antennas. I am also wondering why GRE did not package the radio with an A/C converter and batteries
Trent Bradbury

IowaGuy1603

My PSR 800 arrived yesterday, After fighting with (wrestling maybe) the software for awhile I was able to get a handle on the basics of programming the unit. One of the things that I knew was coming was an antenna upgrade. I ordered a Radio Shack Magnet-mount mobile scanner antenna Item#: 2102469 most of my monitoring is low band and this should work fine. Reception here is terrible on my previous 3 scanners a similar antenna worked well. In the 25 years I have lived here I have wrestled with 2 way reception. Standard FM radio reception is terrible at best and can vary greatly day to day ( very hilly and my house is in a valley. When I was asst. fire chief we fought with this constantly. Anyhow, I am curious to see what others are using for antennas. I am also wondering why GRE did not package the radio with an A/C converter and batteries
Trent Bradbury
THe ducky works pretty well for me------------but you have reception problems way beyond me.

The RS mag mount works fine for me------------- It sounds like even the commercial guys couldn't get your fire radios to work well so trying to get a scanner to receive is probably just as futile.

GRE obviously didn't want t use a AC converter when for the most part 5v USB ports are everywhere.

brownlab

Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun
I use a 800 MHz 2.5db Gain Base BNC Scanner Antenna (stock number 14-540716) from Scanner Masters which is a rubber duck. There is a hinge at the base which allows the antenna to bend from a 90 degrees to 180 degrees angle. It will also rotate 360 degrees. This said a lot depends where the Radio is located in the house. Lots of people seem to like the 800mz from Radio Shack but it does not sound like you have the P25 issue which those are best for. I have a collection of various RS and Uniden rubber and metal antennas and I have found none to be perfect but the 14-540716 seems to work the best at least for me. BTW, the PRS 800 reception is very good to begin with. Better than my Uniden 996XT and I really hate to say that because I love that radio but the PRS 800 is very impressive. There, I said it (lol)

TRBTRB

Just ordered the a/c converter and the automotive converter as well... The sony rechargable batteries I put in this morning died already.I have an assortrment of antennas around here as well. my house sits in a dish on the side of a mountain. luckily the state police repeater is nearly line of sight. Most of the radio issues while I was on the fire department I handled myself the dead spots locally are on the other side of the ridge. I also noticed that if you are charging batteries on board the reception is somewhat diminished. Overall I am extremely happy so far. Iam sure that with an antenna upgrade and a solid power supply the PSR 800 will out perform anything out there....I cannot wait til the base station / desk top model comes out later in the year
Trent

IowaGuy1603

You can buy both of then at Walmart

I had about 6 to 7 hours on my last charge using the back light only when the scanner was receiving . ..............but I don't charge my batteries anymore in the scanner. I use an external charger and 3 sets of batteries.

Last edited:

ntnahed

I'm using a RS 800 mhz antenna on my PSR 800, but I'm getting 5 bars with the rubber duck it came with too. I use a stubby RS "nascar" antenna on my 396t, which seems to have a slight attenuating effect, but also helps to sort out the simulcast issue the 396's are known to have here in Austin.

As for power, I buy Sunbeam alkaline batteries at the local Dollar Tree - a 4 pack costs a buck and lasts me several days in my 396, at least 6 hours continuous use. I'll see how the 800 does with them. I'll probably go with rechargeables, but I'm dang sure not gonna charge 'em in my new radio!
"External charger and 3 sets of batteries" sure sounds like the right way to go to me.

TRBTRB

Nice even steady A/C power for me no issues as the voltage decreases. The added bonus is with A?C power you can make the scanner ligh up like a christmas tree if you want and not worry about voltage drop. I'll use the batteries when other more reliable sources of power are not available
Trent

abear27

I've always ordered a Watson W881 Super Gainer antenna along with my scanners and have been really happy with them. They're a good size and seem to be able to really pull in signals well in my area.

My PSR-800 does seem to eat batteries faster than my 396XT, but I knew both these devices would be battery hungry when I got them.

I've been using a Maha Energy POWEREX MH-C401FS charger and batteries that others have referred to in some of the other threads. They are quite good and I haven't been dissapointed with them yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.