CN Police in Saskatchewan

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohjo

Just saw one of the CN police crusing around the rail yard. Just wondering are these guys on the normal CN frequencies or do they have one of their own? Can they communicate with the trains as well? I don't listen to the CN frequencies too often but when I do I have never heard the CN police.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
In Edmonton they are or were on 160.575. Now TAFL doesn't show it. Perhaps they are still there but have protected status on the license files. They do have Traffic channel radios on the EPS trunked system and a patch group should they need a patch. I'm still looking for CP police in Alberta.

omrail

i don't know about CN other then in Alberta the cars have a radio with the RCMP on it. i would think that CN is much like CP and that for officer to dispatch it is all done via Mike or phone of some kind.

as for CPPS in Alberta car to car is found on 159.8850. but noting on it in Edmonton unless there are a few units in town. it may also be the same for the CPPS in Saskatchewan.

hope that helps you two

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Thanks omrail it does. What has happened to all those CN 160 MHz channels. I see only 4 simplex channels on their old company code 800119 and about the same in the RR database for Alberta. Are they using MIKE for all but train to train comms? I see a blanket 851.000 license and 812.2875 and 816.4625 for Edmonton which appear to be repeater inputs in the Walker yard in Edmonton.

mohjo

Thanx that does help. I would assume CN police are dispatched through cell phones in Sask. as well since the trains are all dispatched from Edmonton here in Sask. (and the few times a year I listen to CN frequencies I haven't heard CN police). I did see two "whip" antenna's on the police car, but that may be used for communication with crews and trains. Again I'm just making educated guesses here, cause I just don't know. ;)

colby4601

Cars have a radio with rail frequencies and a radio on the PPSTN with RCMP tg's. They fall under the "M" call signs on air.

mohjo

Hey, that makes sense. I here "mike" signs all the time on the RCMP. Thanks Colby! So they must be dispatched by RCMP Control then???

omrail

The CN Police are dispatched from there control in Montreal i think it is. the rcmp is for backup and so on. like i said i do not know much of the CN Police so what has happened to CN 160 MHz. but for the CP side CPPS are dispatched from there new control in Winnipeg and as far as i know use MIKE for that. the radios may also have a link to control but i don't know.

most times when on the road and in the yard the police monitor the local road channel. that way is a train crew calls the RTC to report something the officer is a lot faster at responding.

harryshute as for CN in Edmonton the Edmonton train show is next mouth and CNP should be there stop in and ask and see if you get any info out of them.

also so all know Railway Police have Jurisdiction all over canada. so any road any town in canada. and have full federal powers

Last edited:

mohjo

Ah I see. That makes sense. Thanks for the help guys, I wouldn't have figured all that out in a million years. :)

abear27

The Railway Act limits rail police jurisdiction to 500m around railroad resources. So while they are like federal police within this half-kilometer area, once they are outside it they are out of jurisdiction.

Several years ago there was a highly aggressive CN Police officer in Regina that would be out on Sask Drive writing traffic tickets. I'm pretty sure the RCMP and city police quietly wish the CN Police would stick to their property … like the CPPS does.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I can't say I have heard any rail police on the air, or even someone calling for them or needing them in the past 5 years. I did not have 160..575 in any scanners, so have now put it in a couple. I thought I read that 159.885 was digital, but have not heard a peep on it. Thus, replaced it with the 160.575.

Status
Not open for further replies.