396XT - Loudoun Co & STARS Reception Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

andsmith79

I recently purchased a 396XT and am unable to monitor Loudoun Co LTR & STARS. I have listened to both systems on previous 396XTs with no issues, but no go with this new one. The 396XT will not lock onto any control channel for these systems. I also have a 996XT and a 996T that receives both systems with no problems and all three scanners are sitting side-by-side. I have connected the 396XT to the same external antenna as the other scanners use, but still no control channel lock.

I live in Charles Town WV, but travel through Loudoun County every weekday. Even driving down RT7 through Leesburg I cannot hear anything on either system. I am able to listen to other digital systems (like the WVIRP) with no problems.

I have factory defaulted the scanner several times and even just got finished with reflashing the BCD396XT v1.08.14 firmware...and still nothing.

I've provided link for the ARCXT files below if anyone would be willing to load them to see if they can identify any issues.

http://www.tannersmith.com/scanner/loudoun_county.rsf
http://www.tannersmith.com/scanner/va_stars.rsf

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Wow, that is a new one. How did you program the unit? Do you use Freescan? Maybe Mike_s104 has some suggestions.

Yeah...use FreeSCAN. The ARC software is awful!! Also, get a PRS-800! (I never thought I would say that)

I think you are having two issues. Not sure what's up with STARS, but the issues you are having with Loudoun might, in part, be due to their radios are moving more to TDMA so you won't be able to hear them.

andsmith79

Yep...strange indeed! I used ARCXT to program the scanner. I copied the profile (systems) from the 996XT to the 396XT using ARC. With both scanners using the exact same files for both systems, only the 996XT receives transmissions.

I think I'll load FreeScan as you guys suggested and see what happens. Will do the old 2+9+hold & power before sending the systems to the scanner.

On a separate issue...with the same scanner...the option to permanently lock out a system went missing. The only options when pressing function and scrolling through the systems was Unlock & Temporary Unlock. The Permanent Lockout option was not there. After performing a factory default, the option to lockout returned. Starting to think I may have a faulty scanner...

Will post FreeScan results in a little while.

Thanks guys!

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

andsmith79

Just installed FreeScan & uploaded Loudoun Co to the 396XT and received the same results...no control channel lock. With the 396XT & 996XT sitting side-by-side and only scanning the Loudoun Co system, the 996XT is able to receive transmissions, but nothing on the 396XT.

I took some screenshots of the LC setup in FreeScan. If you can, please take a look and let me know if you notice any issues. Also, I used the RR.com import feature in FreeScann to make sure I did not 'fat finger' any of the settings.

FreeScan BCD396XT Setup

-Andy

brownlab

Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun
I am looking at a program Mike sent me last Dec for Loudoun. I would unselect the Motorola End Codes (both of them). and enable I-Call (not that Loudoun uses that much). Under Tape out, select Marked Channels. You have all the quick keys selected. I am not sure if that enables or disables them. Try unselecting all of them. Let me know if that works however you may have a defective scanner.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Just installed FreeScan & uploaded Loudoun Co to the 396XT and received the same results...no control channel lock. With the 396XT & 996XT sitting side-by-side and only scanning the Loudoun Co system, the 996XT is able to receive transmissions, but nothing on the 396XT.

I took some screenshots of the LC setup in FreeScan. If you can, please take a look and let me know if you notice any issues. Also, I used the RR.com import feature in FreeScann to make sure I did not 'fat finger' any of the settings.

FreeScan BCD396XT Setup

-Andy

You need to change the type to "P25 Standard (Digital XT)" for both STARS and Loudoun. The files I sent you should have them set to that.

brownlab

Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun
Isn't Loudoun P25 Phase 2?

Yes it is P25 X-2 TDMA/FDMA however there are some older radios on the system still using FDMA and when they mark up, you are able to monitor the X-2 TDMA. Fairfax County Fire and other jurisdictions run a lot of mutual aid to Loudoun and major incidents can usually be monitored. However we have been hearing less and less traffic on the county law enforcement channels which is why many of us have purchased PRS 800 radios.

andsmith79

Yep...tried everything...even used the files that Mike sent over for STARS and Loudoun and still nothing. I just remembered that I was in Ocean City last month on vacation and had their system in the scanner and also did not hear anything. It seems like I've purchased a defective 396XT. I just created an RMA with Uniden and plan on sending it in for repair in the morning. Hopefully they'll be able to fix it or send a replacement.

Thanks to all for the suggestions!

andsmith79

Hey guys! So I shipped the scanner back to Uniden for repair. I checked the site and it shows that it is "In line to be shipped". The repair status indicates that part IC112 was used for the repair. I did a g00gle search for the part, but could not find anything. My best guess is that it mean IC chip 112 was replaced...maybe. Anyone know what IC112 might be?

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys! So I shipped the scanner back to Uniden for repair. I checked the site and it shows that it is "In line to be shipped". The repair status indicates that part IC112 was used for the repair. I did a g00gle search for the part, but could not find anything. My best guess is that it mean IC chip 112 was replaced...maybe. Anyone know what IC112 might be?

It's probably the part number on their schematic and not necessarily a general part number.

W4UVV

Uh Oh

I recently purchased a 396XT and am unable to monitor Loudoun Co LTR & STARS. I have listened to both systems on previous 396XTs with no issues, but no go with this new one. The 396XT will not lock onto any control channel for these systems. I also have a 996XT and a 996T that receives both systems with no problems and all three scanners are sitting side-by-side. I have connected the 396XT to the same external antenna as the other scanners use, but still no control channel lock.

I live in Charles Town WV, but travel through Loudoun County every weekday. Even driving down RT7 through Leesburg I cannot hear anything on either system. I am able to listen to other digital systems (like the WVIRP) with no problems.

I have factory defaulted the scanner several times and even just got finished with reflashing the BCD396XT v1.08.14 firmware...and still nothing.

I've provided link for the ARCXT files below if anyone would be willing to load them to see if they can identify any issues.

http://www.tannersmith.com/scanner/loudoun_county.rsf
http://www.tannersmith.com/scanner/va_stars.rsf

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

I loaded your Loudoun Co. and STARS files in my Butel XT software and sight checked your setups.

You are not receiving any STARS frequencies because you locked out all STARS sites.

You are not receiving any Loudoun Co. frequencies because you locked out the Loudoun Co. site.

It's a personal preference but I saw you also selected "SCAN" instead of "SEARCH". I recommend "SEARCH" so any known talkgroups not in your database or new talkgroups if active will display.

John
W4UVV

Status
Not open for further replies.