1FRxx to 1FTxx After Shootings

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
I live in Ogden where all the offices were shot up after trying to serve a search warrant. Very surprised there is no discussion of it anywhere here on RR or UtahRadio two days afterwards. Am I the only person in Weber, Davis or Box Elder Counties monitoring with a scanner?

In the middle of this incident I was following local transmissions and in the middle of their shifts one Weber Sheriff's Officer (1FR34) and a So. Ogden Officer (4FR22) had the dispatcher change their callsigns to 1FT34 and 4FT22 in the computer. Thereafter they were dispatched by the new callsigns.

Today they are back on as their original callsigns starting their shifts at 06:00.

Specifically I was monitoring trying to nail down individual radio id's to use in narrowing down stuff I don't want to hear. But I don't understand how they change their callsigns at the end of the day much less in the middle of a shift like that. It does not appear their functions changed only their callsigns. BIZZARE!!! and CONFUSING!!

Anyone want to weigh in on this subject or the the subject where no information was posted by anyone about the shooting here in Ogden 6 blocks from my house?

In all the time I've been scanning since 1972 the officers moniker was their callsign and they protected it as fervently as they protected their badges. Now what is it that identifies them uniquely? It isn't their radio id's because patrol officers are issued both a handheld and a radio attached to the dashboard in their car with a different radio digital signature id.

Trying to monitor in Weber County - squeezed between Morgan County on our East (dispatched from our EOC), Box Elder on our North (Now sharing our simulcast) Tooele on the West (sharing the Promintory Point Site - just like Tooele and Salt Lake share Nelson Peak), and Davis on the South - all within 25 miles and ALL using different dispatch conventions, for the same stuff, is absolutely confusing unless I'm actively watching a scanner displaying the tgid the transmission is coming from. Even then I still do not know what the "R" Romeo or "T" Tango are used for in Weber County. They have completely different meaings in the other counties. We have a traffic officer here in Ogden which is officially known as 2FM1....They dispatch him as "Mike 1" and he does not ride a motorcycle but drives a crown vic.....

I was able to collect the individual radio id's of 1214 individual different users during the shooting - and it looks like that info will never help narrow down the scanning headache - it just added over a thousand more bits of info to the already growing collection......

Thanks,
Paul

kf7yn

Paul, let's formally ask if anyone in Weber County can shed light on the callsign designators. I know there is (or was) a Weber County Deputy that frequents this site.

One callsign I know for sure is AC which is Animal Control. Big help huh? T could be Traffic or Tactical or Task Force who knows... but the guys involved were Weber/Morgan Narc Strike Force so that may be a factor. I have no idea what the R callsigns are. Roving? That's half the fun in my opinion, figuring this stuff out. Been doing it for 40+ years.

As for the shooting, I can hear Weber from here, but I wasn't scanning when the shootout took place.

Spadinator

1FR is a school resource officer. We don't have any 1FT units. We do have 1FC units that are community resource officers and truck inspectors.

Fire822

Feed Provider
pmstewart

Have you ever considered putting your scanner online here at RR.COM. This would have been great listing had it been online.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
I've not had the equipment to do so until now but I will definately consider it .......

Observer1

In all the time I've been scanning since 1972 the officers moniker was their callsign and they protected it as fervently as they protected their badges. Now what is it that identifies them uniquely? It isn't their radio id's because patrol officers are issued both a handheld and a radio attached to the dashboard in their car with a different radio digital signature id.

Depends on the department. Some departments change call signs regularly (Listen to SLCPD sometime, you can tell when they change because officers call out wrong for a couple days)

UHP changes badge numbers every 3 to 5 years as they adjust for seniority. A guy who came on as 566 will be 3xx a few years later

I know Unified bases theirs on assignment area (So does SLCPD) so when your assignment changes your call sign changes.

With CAD used, whatever identifier is permanently assigned to an officer is then "attached" to whatever call sign they're using at that time.

Last edited:

Spadinator

I was not monitoring the call when it happened as I was at home with my family. All the officers involved are friends of mine. It would have been tough for me to listen to it with out wanting to go out there with them.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
From an long time scanner enthusiast there are some unfortunate drawbacks to this hobby.

In order for us to increase our knowledge and awareness about our hobby we have to be on our toes
when emergencies requiring resources past everyday operations arise. The unfortunate deaths of the couple South of here last week gave us an opportunity to hear dormant tg's and see conventional frequencies being used in the Wendover area as they were hunting down the two fugitives. We also got to share in the jubilation when they were apprehended.

I do not ever want to convey the message I'm oblivious to innocent people getting hurt and that I do not care. Its absolutely unfortunate everyday people get hurt in accidents every minute. In order to hone our skills there is a certain amount of "questionable" behavior we indulge in even though we mean no harm!

Paul

darinb

Premium Subscriber
Brigh

R call sign in ogden at one time was used for a reserve officer but im not sure if it is still used or not

Status
Not open for further replies.