Dallas FD Scanning Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmer166

Feed Provider
Hello,
I have a question about the Dallas FD. I have been listening to them online and I hear them say they have a major accident sometimes. Does this mean there is somebody trapped? They do not talk to much on the radio, at least not online.

Thanks

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello,
I have a question about the Dallas FD. I have been listening to them online and I hear them say they have a major accident sometimes. Does this mean there is somebody trapped? They do not talk to much on the radio, at least not online.

Thanks
If you hear one of the units at a 'major accident' calling for a heavy rescue response, that does indicate somebody is trapped. A 'heavy rescue' usually draws a truck company (a second truck, if the accident is on a freeway, as a truck is customarily assigned initially to those anyway, to block traffic) as well as a battalion chief. This can get a bit muddled, since Dallas Fire Rescue calls their ambulances "Rescues", and you may hear calls for additional 'rescues' on a major accident. Most everyone else in the area uses the term "Medic" for their ambulance or MICU (Mobile Intensive Care Unit) vehicles.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
You will not hear any fire ground traffic as the units talk to each other on scene via a direct channel.
Mostly used at fire scenes, i have been in the area or driven by wrecks on the highway and heard them use channel 12 (their fire ground channel) to talk to each other. Thats when they are on scene. If they are still en route they will use the repeater channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.