Greater Cleveland Radio Communication Network

GHF

Cleveland Ohio new system

Check out the response from the FCC on this application.

You would think that the money that will be spent on this new system that the application would be done correctly.

Seems that the application is on hold or denied until the correct information is submitted.

I would think that the vendor for this project would be at least be giving the City of Cleveland some direction as to how to apply.

budevans

Cleveland Tower upgrade

Cleveland has started tower upgrades for the new P25 system. A new antenna mounting structure was built on the Brooklyn Heights tower last Friday May 11th.

See the before and after pics.

Last edited:

budevans

Five new antenna's

Monday, five new antenna's were added. The top of the tower is now pretty crowded. See the pic below.

For some reason the site won't accept the new picture. File type, size and dimensions all with stated requirements.

Last edited:

budevans

Updated tower photo

I just saw a message stating that the image upload issue was fixed.

Here's a Pic of top of the Brooklyn Hts tower with the 5 new antennas added (total of 8 at the very top).

Last edited:

budevans

Brooklyn Hts tower May 22

The original 3 antennas (at the very top of the tower) have now been removed. Workers have been seen on the tower since May 13th.

Here's the latest pic of the BH tower.

Last edited:
cleveland P25 system

got some news yeaterday a friend of mind was at the Motorola shop in Parma they told him there working on building the system now and doing testing but would not say if its a phase-2 type i'm going to program the frequencys posted from here and see if i here any radio traffic i'll be useing a GRE-800 scanner and do a wild card.he said the system should be up 100% by the end of next year cleveland EMS is first to move then FIRE then POLICE last so lets see if anyone gets anything from the frequencys.

dave

a388sig2

got some news yeaterday a friend of mind was at the Motorola shop in Parma they told him there working on building the system now and doing testing but would not say if its a phase-2 type i'm going to program the frequencys posted from here and see if i here any radio traffic i'll be useing a GRE-800 scanner and do a wild card.he said the system should be up 100% by the end of next year cleveland EMS is first to move then FIRE then POLICE last so lets see if anyone gets anything from the frequencys.

dave

Did anyone honestly believe they would go to a system that could be scanned by equipment for amateur home enthusiasts? Even if they did go to a system that could be heard on a scanner, I'd expect them to go 100% encrypted.

budevans

Over 150 frequencies?

I see 25 listed in the STA requests. In a Project 25 Trunking System all towers have the same frequencies. Each tower I saw (in the STA request on the FCC site) had the same 25 frequencies listed.

Regarding encryption, it's possible. Cleveland and SWRCN are merging. SWRCN does use encryption for PD and Fire, but not for other system users. Cleveland also has more than PD and Fire on their current system. For example, I'd be surprised to hear the Water Department was encrypted.

Plus Cleveland is trying to recruit other Cuyahoga County communities to join their system. Most are shocked by the cost of the digital radio's they'd have to buy. I seriously doubt they'd be willing to spend even more money for encryption, since they don't use it now.

Last edited:

a388sig2

Regarding encryption, it's possible. Cleveland and SWRCN are merging. SWRCN does use encryption for PD and Fire, but not for other system users. Cleveland also has more than PD and Fire on their current system. For example, I'd be surprised to hear the Water Department was encrypted.

Plus Cleveland is trying to recruit other Cuyahoga County communities to join their system. Most are shocked by the cost of the digital radio's they'd have to buy. I seriously doubt they'd be willing to spend even more money for encryption, since they don't use it now.

Let's hope so.

has anyone got any radio traffic yet on the 25 frequencys doing testing?
my friend was told by the Motorola shop on plaza drive the shop was doing range testing?
i did program all 25 in my GRE-800 nothing yet on a wildcard.

budevans

Dave,

So far no hits. I programmed a TSYS with the 25 freq's listed in the FCC STA application and created group and private wildcards.

Two things come to mind.

1st: The STA's haven't been approved.

2nd: When the MARCS Cuyahoga County P25 system was being built, the initial testing was done in conventional repeater mode using a single designated channel. The Project 25 trunking mode wasn't turned on until the first phase of the build out was completed.

I'm thinking about programming the 25 freq's in conventional mode, to see if I get any hits.

SCPD

QRT
I'm confused. Some of those 25 frequencies are active now in their current system. I'm receieving about 3 control channels in that list but with no hits setup in a P25 system.

SCPD

QRT
I put those 25 freqs in as conventional and now getting hits. Log shows NAC 340 and F2 on several. I don't recall hearing any voice but wasn't really in the listening mode.

GHF

Just to throw in a little more mud.

Cleveland now is using the VSELP ASTRO DIGITAL system. No scanner radio can monitor this system in the clear.

If you have programmed a frequency being used on the old system in conventional mode you will probably see the NAC code of the currently used system.

The hits that you are receiving may be on the old system and you will not be able to hear anything, re: voice.

Just a thought… Maybe just program in the new frequencies (proposed) in conventional mode and see what happens.

Until the license is approved you may hear nothing on the new frequencies.

SCPD

QRT
… Maybe just program in the new frequencies (proposed) in conventional mode and see what happens......

Yes I just said I did that :)

I guess that the duplicate freqs will be used in the new system whenever. I was just following the suggestion to put them in and see if P25 testing shows up. Anyhow that's what I logged so far and haven't heard any voice/testing.

I was thinking the P25 system would be completely different frequencies. Will be interesting to see what develops.

GHF

Yes you programed 25 frequencies...but some may be from the old system.

FREQ SYSTEM CONV FREQ.
854.1375 OLD SYSTEM 1
854.1875 OLD SYSTEM 2
854.2375 OLD SYSTEM 3
854.2875 OLD SYSTEM 4
854.3375 OLD SYSTEM 5 IF YOU HAVE ADDED
855.1375 OLD SYSTEM 6 ANY OF THE OLD SYSTEM
855.1875 OLD SYSTEM 7 TO YOUR LIST OF 25
855.2375 OLD SYSTEM 8 YOU WILL GET HITS
855.2875 OLD SYSTEM 9 FROM THE OLD VSELP SYSTEM
855.3375 OLD SYSTEM 10
854.5625 NEW SYSTEM 11
854.6875 NEW SYSTEM 12
854.7125 NEW SYSTEM 13
854.7375 NEW SYSTEM 14
854.8375 NEW SYSTEM 15
854.9625 NEW SYSTEM 16
855.6625 NEW SYSTEM 17
855.7125 NEW SYSTEM 18
855.7375 NEW SYSTEM 19
855.8375 NEW SYSTEM 20
855.8875 NEW SYSTEM 21
855.9625 NEW SYSTEM 22
855.9875 NEW SYSTEM 23
856.1375 NEW SYSTEM 24
856.1625 NEW SYSTEM 25

GHF

Note:

The City of Cleveland decided to create there own system.

They could have gotten into the new Marc IP 25 system. (Cuyahoga-Lake)

City council could not wait for more information on the new Marc IP 25 system and voted to create their own under an emergency vote and now are stuck with the cost.

Boy I'm glad I don't live in Cleveland as for the wasted money for this system. City of Cleveland Council and the Mayor along with the Safety Director should be proud. Now I'm stuck in the suburbs paying through the Water and any other taxes for this blunder.

Safety Director said only 15 channels on the Marcs IP 25 system. (maybe he should have stuck with writing parking tickets or should be selling snake oil)

Marcs said that the channels could have been increased to 30 channels or more.

Mayor should have the right to assign a Police Chief, Fire Chief and Safety Director, no test. You have got to be kidding me.

Your goverment working for you....

budevans

Cleveland Testing

I turned my scanner on at 5:30 p.m. and the first thing I heard was Cleveland P25 testing.

The Control Channel freq being used is 856.16250

I caught a radio ID of 4180001 and another of 4180089.

I will park on the CC freq and try to get the System ID and WACN.

Last edited: