Feed Request

Status
Not open for further replies.

suwannee26

I live in Live Oak, used to listen to suwannee county feed, but it's been unavailable for a couple months now. can anyone out there please provide suwannee county fire and police again?

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Good deal. Let us know if you need any help getting it set up.

suwannee26

Ok, i just recieved the scanner in the mail yesterday, now I need to find an AC adapter so I don't have to keep replacing batteries, and the audio cord to hook it up to the computer. It is a realistic pro-39 and it works great!

suwannee26

OK I have the ac adapter. That will save on batteries, now, I have ordered from Amazon, a USB cord that has a male headphone jack on the other end. Is that what I need to broadcast? or can I use a cord that has a jack on both ends and plug it into the microphone jack on the pc? What do you suggest?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
OK I have the ac adapter. That will save on batteries, now, I have ordered from Amazon, a USB cord that has a male headphone jack on the other end. Is that what I need to broadcast? or can I use a cord that has a jack on both ends and plug it into the microphone jack on the pc? What do you suggest?

You will need a shielded mono cable with a 1/8 inch (3.5 mm) mini plug on each end. Plug one into the headphone jack on the scanner and the other end into the LINE IN jack on your PC. The cable is available from Radio Shack for around $6.

The USB cable you ordered will be of no use with this scanner. You should ask BEFORE you buy.

More information available here

Last edited:

suwannee26

Thank you for all the help. Check it out, Suwannee County Florida is now online. It sounds good so far, except there is a light hum. I looked up the troubleshooting for this and it talked about replacing cables. all these cables are brand new. any suggestions? does it sound good to you?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Great Job - Sounds Great

Your feed sounds great. Your cables are fine. I didn't notice any hum. I would turn the volume down just a little. Also if you turn the squelch up a tad it may eliminate the static at the end of the transmissions (but watch that is doesn't cut out actual audio as well).
I also notice a little static. This could be cleared up by using a 2 meter amateur portable antenna, which is tuned close to the frequencies that you are receiving, instead of the stock rubber duckie.
Otherwise it sounds really good, especially for an older handheld scanner.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
The hum you are hearing is PL tones. Not much you can do about that except using a filter or equalizer to notch them out.

SCPD

QRT
Like I said I don't hear any hum, and it couldn't be PL tones as they are sub-audible, which can not be heard by human ears.
I am sorry but they are PL tones. PL tones go from 67 Hz to 254.1 Hz which is certainly within the range of human hearing. I don't know where the term "sub-audible" comes from because they are usually loud enough to be heard.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I am sorry but they are PL tones. PL tones go from 67 Hz to 254.1 Hz which is certainly within the range of human hearing. I don't know where the term "sub-audible" comes from because they are usually loud enough to be heard.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In telecommunications, Continuous Tone-Coded Squelch System or CTCSS is a circuit that is used to reduce the annoyance of listening to other users on a shared two-way radio communications channel. It is sometimes called tone squelch. Where more than one user group is on the same channel (called co-channel users), CTCSS filters out other users if they are using a different CTCSS tone or no CTCSS.

Receivers equipped with a CTCSS circuit usually have a switch that selects normal mode or CTCSS mode. When enabled, the CTCSS radio circuit, instead of opening the receive audio for any signal, causes the two-way radio receiver's audio to open only in the presence of the normal RF signal AND the correct sub-audible audio tone (sub-audible meaning that the receiver circuitry can detect it, but is not apparent to the users in the audio output). This is akin to the use of a lock on a door. A carrier squelch or noise squelch receiver not configured with CTCSS has no lock on its door and will let any signal in. A receiver with CTCSS circuitry (and with it enabled) locks out all signals except ones encoded with the correct tone. CTCSS can be regarded as a form of in-band signaling.

SCPD

QRT
Hearing range usually describes the range of frequencies that can be heard by an animal or human, though it can also refer to the range of levels. In humans the audible range of frequencies is usually said to be 20 Hz (cycles per second) to 20 kHz (20,000 Hz), although there is considerable variation between individuals, especially at the high frequency end.

Also from wikipedia

The reason they "are not apparent to the users in the audio output" is due to receiver design, not limitations on human hearing

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.