• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Can you use Direct Talk with BT headsets? (have more questions too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4DAN

So, I was doing some reading and came upon some old threads that talked about Nextel Direct Talk (Not Direct Connect) where the phones have the ability to go off network and talk directly over the 900mhz ISM band frequencies. First off I had no idea that some of these iDen phones did that, but it suddenly sparked an idea in my head. From the reading it sounds like this is basically a digital simplex 900mhz system. I understand that that the Nextel phones do not communicate with the Tri-Square or Motorola DTR radio's that also use 900mhz, but that is fine. There are some pretty cheap older Motorola iDen phones out there on ebay with this direct talk feature and most times these phones are pretty rugged too.

Now my interest around these is mostly with the models that do support BT. Does Direct Talk work over say a normal BT headset or is it by speaker phone only? I'm hoping they work over BT. Is the PTT button on the side of the phone the only way to key up if BT headsets work? Do some phones support an external PTT switch by chance?

I'm a motorcycle rider and already have a BT headset communicator on my helmet as does my wife. Now BT to BT communication works fine when its just us on a street ride and we stay close together, but when in a large group and we get separated, we frequently get out of range of the headsets and we also can't talk to anyone else unless they have the same headset and we are already paired, not very feasible. My wife and I both have the Scala Q2's, but will be upgrading to the Sena SMH10's here shortly, but regardless, the concept behind them is the same. All the BT headset communicators have the ability to connect to a cell phone that supports BT and talk over that connection.

Now I already use my Ham radio via a BT chip in the radio and have that setup, but I'm looking for a dual sport setup where the mounted ham radio isn't as feasible and also when we are riding with people that aren't ham operators. Plus being dual sport with dust & water and such, I don't want to ruin expensive equipment due to the elements we'll be riding in.

My main point in this thread is focusing around an upcoming 10 day dual sport motorcycle trip with up about 8 riders. At least 4 of us are trying to find ways to talk to each other. The most obvious choice for talking in a large group is using basic FRS/GMRS radio's and what we had planned to do, but believe it or not, incorporating FRS/GMRS radio into this mix of our BT headsets is actually not that easy. No one has started making BT capable FRS/GMRS radios yet and although there are BT adapters to plug into a FRS/GMRS radio, they all are pricey. Sena has finally released the SR10 which is basically a BT hub which you can hook a 2 way radio to and talk from the BT headset through the BT Hub over any 2 way radio you hook up, but the entire setup is very pricey; well over $300 just for one person. I do have the SR10 setup for myself, but convincing 7 other friends to spend that kind of money ($300+ for a BT communicator, headset, 2 way radio and corresponding plug) isn't going to happen so looking at cheaper options. Now some friends already have their own BT communicators and others were just going to use wired headsets which don't work that well for noise cancelling, but would at least let them hear us.

So when I started reading about these Motorola iDen phones that have Direct Talk capabilities and some even have BT built in, the light bulbs started going off. If these types of phones support the most basic HFP/HSP (Hands free profile or Head Set Profile) for BT, then they should sync to our BT helmet communicators just fine instead of our normal cell phones. The two big questions are do these phones support Direct Talk over BT and what ways can you initiate the PTT button on these phones? If its only the phone, that makes it a bit trickier as far as placement, but not impossible. A remote PTT button would work better, but we can work with it if not.

So assuming Direct Talk works over BT, the other questions I have is how Direct Talk works in practice with a large group? Say 7-10 people? I would assume all phones would need to be programmed to the same channel/code and when one person keys up, everyone else can hear the conversation, just like most 2 way radio's operate? Am I missing anything that would make someone feel this won't work as I assume it would?

Now it appears the Motorola i355 has been one of the more popular models for this and is cheap on ebay ( <$20), but it doesn't appear to have BT. Now I do own a Jabra A210 and a Cardo BTA II BT adapter that is specifically for Non BT phones and it appears the 2.5mm plug found on both these devices is the same type of plug used on this phone and many others. So essentially, I can turn a non BT phone into a BT phone. I already know both of these BT adapters sync to our helmet communicators, so I'm good there. However, personally I think I would rather spend a bit more and find a phone that supports BT. I see one that I just found is the I335 model. I'm sure even more recent ones support BT too.

The final question I have is SIM cards. My understanding is that getting any of these phones to work with Direct Talk, they need to have a Sim Card in them? This page gives some info about that, but doesn't go into a whole lot of data - http://blogs.n1zyy.com/n1zyy/direct-talk-compatible-phones/ Anything in particular to look for when buying a cheap sim card off ebay for one of these?

So let me know your thoughts and ideas about this?

Last edited:

KK4DAN

So no help with this one?

I've done some research and I think the Motorola ic902 is the model with BT I want to check out. Might pick up a i355 too just because they are so plentiful out there.

I did come up with another question. I know at some point Nextel & Sprint merged and some phones were considered hybrids and picked up both their systems, although if I'm not activating them, I'm not sure that matters. There are also several boost mobile phones out there and even a few Sourthern Link. I'm trying to stay with Nextel/Sprint phones only to keep things simple, so just curious if I might run into any issues with any of these sprint/nextel phones trying to talk to each other on Direct Talk? I notice sometimes they call it MotoTalk and maybe another name I can't remember off hand.

stmills

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

1. Mototalk & Direct Talk are the samething - Motorola name & Sprint Nextel Nane.
2. Models with names beginning with Ic instead of just I are sprint network phones with nextel network PTT.
3. From what I recall on headsets you can do PTT via headset asking As a PTT button is on the head set I am not sure how that works on BT.

dmansingh02

Bluetooth for Nextel Direct-talk

I dont know if you can use bluetooth with DT directly. the problem is the PTT button. There is commercially available adapter that comes with its own PTT made by Blucomm. The problem with the nextel phone is that it is very hard to find adapters for the 2.5mm port that allows an external PTT. But pushing the PTT on the phone for me is not that big a deal.

There are alot of nextel phones with BT if they work with Directtalk that would be a pretty cool thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.