dsd help

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg4vdz

Well ill start from the beginning with this and hope someone can shed some light my way my local police system changed to nexedge there on the same freq but its just data being transmitted i done some looking into it and figured out it was nexedge so i want to listen to them so i downloaded dsd for linux but cant figure out how to make it work or install it useing ubuntu i read some stuff about terminal and building it to install couldnt figure it out so i went and downloaded the windows version and installed it on my lappy single core processor atom 1.6ghz 1gb ram got it installed fine and got it running have a bct8 with disc tap hooked it up to mic in and it seams to work a little i get decoding but all the sound is gargled - broken but i can tell it is voice so im guessing im close so any help as to what im doing wrong would be greatly appreciated

SCPD

QRT
You probably need to adjust the recording level. DSD displays a number called "InLvl". Adjust the recording volume so this number is around 40%. Another option is to run an oscilloscope program. Adjust recording volume so the waveform fills the screen without clipping.

kg4vdz

i adjusted the mic input to 30-40 and still no help i went all the way down to 10 and all the way up to 70 trying to get a sweet spot but never could get any different results can you recomment a good scope program i can download and try that thanks for all you help i really appreciate it im dyeing to get this thing goingi really miss listening to my county communications

ilgrant

Your setup could be fine, too.

You will have to somehow find out if they have encryption running on their system. DSD won't decode encrypted communications.

kg4vdz

it dont sound like that sounds more like choppy audio i can make out some words but the sentences are not complete cant seam to find a good program to check the wave form i have adjusted the mic input and switched to line in but i get the same results i'll keep playing with it maybe i'll get lucky i read in one of the posts about switching the polarity ? how is this done

racingfan360

So a few questions to help me help you:

1. How confident are you that you're listening to a Nexedge VOICE system on that frequency? Here's a link to what a 6.25khz and a 12.5khz voice system sound like:
http://www.w2sjw.com/sounds/NXDN_multi.mp3

When you say it's just data being transmitted, do you mean constant data transmit? ie does it sound like Nexedge Trunk control channel?
Digital Modes Samples

2. Have you got Ubuntu sucessfully installed on your netbook? If so which version of Ubuntu?

3. Have you been able to get DSD to decode anything else successfully?

Jim

kg4vdz

Well im 100% sure its nextedge voice as my county just swutched over to it and in dsd when it stars to decode it says nextedge its 9600 no its not constant data just data when they transmit and no its not trunked yes i have ubuntu installed its the latest version 12.04 but i cant get dsd installed on it on two different windows 7 machines i get the exact same results my disc tap is fine as i use it to decode other digital formats with no problem so ummm lol but thanks for all the help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.