Johnson County P25 system question

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiowa

Premium Subscriber
I just bought a Pro-106 scanner and am having issues receiving the Johnson County P25 system. It sounds garbly not overly clear.

Does anyone here have this scanner and located in Iowa City that would be willing to share their config with me? I've done some research on the forums here, but am hoping it would be better than this.

Thanks

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
Consumer grade scanners are not very good at listening to P25 simulcast. Check out the multi-page J-Comm thread from last year for solutions.

radiowa

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the responses. I'll take a look at that thread.

splash1

Premium Subscriber
I just bought a Pro-106 scanner and am having issues receiving the Johnson County P25 system. It sounds garbly not overly clear.

Does anyone here have this scanner and located in Iowa City that would be willing to share their config with me? I've done some research on the forums here, but am hoping it would be better than this.

Thanks

This is how i have my pro 106 set up.
CH 1 851.050
CH 2 852.825
CH 3 852.1375
CH 4 851.7875
CH 5 854.2375
CH 6 856.7125
CH 7 858.9875
CH 8 854.4375
CH 9 859.9875
CH 10 853.1125
CH 11 852.5375
Set up your system according to manual then add frequencies manually and see if that works for you.
Idid listen to Johnson co for about 2 hours last pm while in the area without any problems. The pro 106 does have trouble with that system in some ares of town.

radiowa

Premium Subscriber
Thanks splash1.

I have setup my scanner as you mentioned and it seems to help some but still am missing transmissions. Every now and then you can see the scanner lock on a frequency/talk-group, but nothing is transmitted (almost as if someone bumped the mic).

Where were you located in Iowa City when you used your pro 106? Can you share with me your config file (if you use software to program your pro 106)?

Also, general question, what is the best squelch setting for the P25 systems? I believe with the Moto 800mhz it has automatic squelch control.

This is how i have my pro 106 set up.
CH 1 851.050
CH 2 852.825
CH 3 852.1375
CH 4 851.7875
CH 5 854.2375
CH 6 856.7125
CH 7 858.9875
CH 8 854.4375
CH 9 859.9875
CH 10 853.1125
CH 11 852.5375
Set up your system according to manual then add frequencies manually and see if that works for you.
Idid listen to Johnson co for about 2 hours last pm while in the area without any problems. The pro 106 does have trouble with that system in some ares of town.

splash1

Premium Subscriber
Thanks splash1.

I have setup my scanner as you mentioned and it seems to help some but still am missing transmissions. Every now and then you can see the scanner lock on a frequency/talk-group, but nothing is transmitted (almost as if someone bumped the mic).

Where were you located in Iowa City when you used your pro 106? Can you share with me your config file (if you use software to program your pro 106)?

Also, general question, what is the best squelch setting for the P25 systems? I believe with the Moto 800mhz it has automatic squelch control.

Can you tell me the talkgroup it hangs up on.

Squelch is set to p25 auto. I do have multi site set to off.

Not home right now, but will try to send you my set-up file.

I was in the North Liberty area yesterday.

radiowa

Premium Subscriber
Usually it's Law 1.

Although since I've had this I haven't heard any Fire or EMS calls? Generally I see is Point2Point, ISP - CR BASE

Do you have the attenuator turned on for that system?

Can you tell me the talkgroup it hangs up on.

Squelch is set to p25 auto. I do have multi site set to off.

Not home right now, but will try to send you my set-up file.

I was in the North Liberty area yesterday.

splash1

Premium Subscriber
Usually it's Law 1.

Although since I've had this I haven't heard any Fire or EMS calls? Generally I see is Point2Point, ISP - CR BASE

Do you have the attenuator turned on for that system?

Attenuator is off. What antenna are you using, and do you get the same reception results all over town or just your home?

radiowa

Premium Subscriber
My current setup - I have the attenuator on and use a paperclip for an antenna when I'm at home; it works sometimes, but most of the time not. Usually only hear a blip of the traffic. The reason I know that is because KCJJ usually has a JCOM scanner on their internet feed at night and I would expect to hear the same(or close to) transmissions.

When I'm mobile, I use a Radio Shack 800mhz antenna. I frequently drive from Ely to SE Iowa City and I never get any traffic whatsoever. I have tried with the attenuator both on and off but it does not seem to make a difference.

Attenuator is off. What antenna are you using, and do you get the same reception results all over town or just your home?

IowaGuy1603

radiowa..............I know splash has had good luck with his 106 but he experimented quite a bit.

I use a PSR 800 and can normally hear things pretty good when I am in Johnson County.....drove through today .............yes I hear the garbled stuff sometimes and it is not encryption......just the joys of listening to J-Com.

Going to hate it when Linn county goes to that system----------------------98% of the time J-Com is understandable when I drive around and NEAR the county........

radiowa

Premium Subscriber
Most of the time for me it locks on to the talkgroup - but it does not transmit audio. I've removed all encrypted talk groups. Have you made any changes in the "expert menu" on your scanner at all? If so, I'd be curious what those are.

I agree with you on Linn Co moving to that! Right now it's the best system to receive :) Don't particularly want another JCOM system...

radiowa..............I know splash has had good luck with his 106 but he experimented quite a bit.

I use a PSR 800 and can normally hear things pretty good when I am in Johnson County.....drove through today .............yes I hear the garbled stuff sometimes and it is not encryption......just the joys of listening to J-Com.

Going to hate it when Linn county goes to that system----------------------98% of the time J-Com is understandable when I drive around and NEAR the county........

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.