MBTA EDACS - Standard or Pro-Voice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

transitman

The MBTA EDACS system shown on the Suffolk County (MA) page is listed as EDACS Standard with several TG's shown. However there have been numerous postings on RR and other blogs that the MBTA system is Pro-Voice and cannot be monitored with a current scanner. Which system is in use?

ecps92

I think it Might be some confussion, based on terminology.

Monitored vs Tracked. I'm sure someon who has submitted the info will pop in

I listen to them in conventional mode from time-time, but considering they are still on UHF T-Band that covers much better it's rare to listen to the 800 System

The MBTA EDACS system shown on the Suffolk County (MA) page is listed as EDACS Standard with several TG's shown. However there have been numerous postings on RR and other blogs that the MBTA system is Pro-Voice and cannot be monitored with a current scanner. Which system is in use?

garys

Premium Subscriber
From a thread a few years ago on Scan-ne.net, the audio is Pro Voice and the control is ESK extended. The TGs can be decoded, but the audio can not be monitored. They are using the system, but as Bill points out, they still simulcast on the UHF-T system.

The build out of the EDACS system has been going on for several years as there are multiple phases to the project and most of them are individual contracts that have to be put out to bid.

mmisk

DSD for Windows and EDACS Provoice

You can listen to non-encrypted EDACS provoice comms using DSD for Windows.
DSD for Windows may be found on another forum on RR, and it works quite well.

Mike

walter900

Hi, so does this still hold true?? No current scanner can monitor the Massachusetts MBTA standard edacs system? It appears to be listed as a standard edacs system on the RR page and doesn't mention that it is MaComm or Provoice.. So did something change and they can now be scanned using a standard edacs scanner like the BCD396XT? Is it a Provoice system or not? As a Provoive system makes no sense at all as it would keep neighboring police departments from also scanning them and knowing what's going on in real time.

Last edited:

garys

Premium Subscriber
It is Pro Voice, but the Transit Police are not (as far as I know) on that system. They still use UHF and have several talk groups on the MSP Motorola trunk. They may be primarily on the trunk and simulcasting on UHF, but I'm not sure.

If you have MSP Zone 5 programmed into a scanner, you can hear Transit PD traffic all over eastern MA. The information is listed in the database here and at scan-ne.net.

Hi, so does this still hold true?? No current scanner can monitor the Massachusetts MBTA standard edacs system? It appears to be listed as a standard edacs system on the RR page and doesn't mention that it is MaComm or Provoice.. So did something change and they can now be scanned using a standard edacs scanner like the BCD396XT? Is it a Provoice system or not? As a Provoive system makes no sense at all as it would keep neighboring police departments from also scanning them and knowing what's going on in real time.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
For interoperability purposes, neighboring departments will have the ability to talk with this department via talkgroups that are in analog mode, using either a few dedicated edacs radios for talking to their neighbors, or using either the national mutual aid channels in analog mode, or, most likely, patching into the system via a gateway.

No commercially available scanner today decodes ProVoice. But DSD does!

walter900

For interoperability purposes, neighboring departments will have the ability to talk with this department via talkgroups that are in analog mode, using either a few dedicated edacs radios for talking to their neighbors, or using either the national mutual aid channels in analog mode, or, most likely, patching into the system via a gateway.

What about this Provoice scanner everyone's raving about? What is DSD?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M-A-Com-Har...5-DIGITAL-SCANNER-W-PROGRAMMING-/201393266525

ecps92

Not sure whose system you are referencing, but here (Boston) the Interop is T-Band, called BAPERN

NEMLEC & BAPERN - Scan New England Wiki

Local Cities/Towns can contact each other, including the MSP. many College Campus PD's and the MBTA on the network, which covers EASTERN Massachusetts from the NH Border to the Rhode Island Border

garys

Premium Subscriber
You should mention that agencies on 800 trunk system (MSP, Cambridge, MassPort) have talk groups patched to the UHF channels.

I haven't seen a T Police portable in a while, but my guess is that they are using dual band Motorola radios. The reason being that they need coverage all the way down to the MA/RI line which is way beyond the coverage of the UHF system. They also need coverage north and west, for that matter.

Not sure whose system you are referencing, but here (Boston) the Interop is T-Band, called BAPERN

NEMLEC & BAPERN - Scan New England Wiki

Local Cities/Towns can contact each other, including the MSP. many College Campus PD's and the MBTA on the network, which covers EASTERN Massachusetts from the NH Border to the Rhode Island Border

Status
Not open for further replies.