Hamilton CTY, Scanner Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

reverendmoon

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

I've been scanning for years, but out of the hobby for several.

I'm interested in scanning police/fire in Hamilton CTY. Mainly the Carmel/Noblesville Police/Fire.

I have a Pro92/2067 which I program with W92. I installed a Radio Shack Discone antenna on my old house - my new house has no antennae.

I'm looking for recommendations on a new setup - one particularly that will integrate with the Web-Download I see offered to Premium users. Can someone in the Noblesville/Carmel area recommend a setup? I'm looking for personal experience. What setup do you find successful?

thanks!

holeinace

I used my pro96 with a RS 800 mhz antenna and had good reception from inside the Firestone Plant. I also had good reception of Hamilton county with the same setup from the I69 and SR13 area.

bamx2

I used my pro96 with a RS 800 mhz antenna and had good reception from inside the Firestone Plant. I also had good reception of Hamilton county with the same setup from the I69 and SR13 area.

I have a 396XT and can get good reception mobile in Hamilton county most of the time. Easy to set up with Free Scan too.

W9NES

I also use a Uniden 396xt as my handheld to use when I am away from the Northwest Communications Center to monitor Metro Indianapolis, Boone and other counties including Hamilton.

GTO_04

All the scanners mentioned will do a good job monitoring the Hamilton County EDACS system.Plus they have digital capability so you can monitor ISP on the SAFE-T system.

GTO_04

W9NES

If I was going to buy ANOTHER scanner, I would buy a Uniden 396XT. The 396XT is very easy to program by hand with no computer. GRE'S are not easy to program.I have a Ham radio friend that has a GRE handheld and he is selling it. He is now looking at a Uniden 396XT or a Uniden Home Patrol HP-1.

W9NES

GRE'S are very hard to program and no one understands how to program them.This is the reason why my Ham radio friend is SELLING his GRE handheld. He also bought the software to program it by the computer and it is still GARBLED. MY Friend is looking at a Uniden 396XT or a Uniden Home Patrol. If I would go to buy another scanner it would be a Uniden 396XT or another Uniden Home Patrol HP-1. Thank You.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Tim, normally I ignore your nonsense, but to say no one understands how to program a GRE shows your ignorance on the subject. You of all people should be the last person offering advice on these forums.

W9NES

Indy 500, That fine thanks for letting us know that you can program your own scanner. But others do not have any idea of how to do to that. That is the reason why Uniden is easy to set up with or without software. My Ham radio friend is selling his GRE PSR-500 with the software because he does not like it.He does not like to sound(Audio) on the radio. He is looking at buying a Uniden 396XT or a Uniden Home patrol.After I showed him how SIMPLE it was to set up a Uniden 396XT he could not believe what could be done in 10 mins. Also showed him how to set up the Uniden Home Patrol Hp-1. Now he wants a 396XT or a Home Patrol.

IndyRick

ReverendMoon, I'm also in Hamilton County and my main area of interest is Hamilton Cty Fire and EMS. A few moths ago, I broke down and purchased the Home Patrol HP-1, and I couldn't be happier with my purchase for monitoring FD/EMS. Easy to just plug into your USB port and get the latest database. I've used it mobile quite a bit in Hamilton County and have encountered no reception issues.

If you'd like, I'd be glad to meet you somewhere some morning or afternoon and you can play with the HP-1 for a while. That way you could decided if it's something you'd like before you dropped the cash on it.

usswood

W9NES....tell your friend to email me with what he wants his GRE to pick up and I will send him a template for it. All he will have to do is upload it to his scanner with the cable that should have come with it. Hows that, cause I know how to program them also, and have done so for a few people that needed help!

W9NES

Thanks for the offer usswood but he has sold his scanner and now has a Uniden Hp-1. He is very happy with the Uniden HP-1. He is hearing more on the Hp-1 than he did on the GRE PSR-500.

W9NES

The scanner was PROGRAMMED up for the metro Indianapolis central Indiana area with software that he bought from GRE for the GRE-PSR-500 handheld and he was hearing NOTHING. Now that he has the Uniden Hp-1 not only is he hearing all of metro Indianapolis but outside the Indianapolis area including counties that he has NEVER heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.