USS Edson to Bay City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin

KB8QDM

Premium Subscriber
I know the museum up there has been trying to get the Edson for years, and I'm glad they were finally successful. But it does beg the question of what ties the Edson has to Michigan and Bay City.

For what it's worth, I would have almost rather seen them rescue the USCGC Bramble from the Port Huron museum. A 180' bouy tender isn't as flashy as a destroyer, but Bramble has ties to Michigan going back to 1962, it was the ship that worked all the bouys in Saginaw Bay, and up into the river. It was also used to help fight the fire when the M/V Jupiter exploded at the Total dock in 1990.

QwKiE

Chris this is just a good peace of history and i'll get some pic's when it comes through the lakes to Port Huron from the Detroit area.
But you are right it would be nice if they could rescue all the boats, and who knows maybe what you are asking may come to life some day.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Initially they wanted the charles e adams a destroyer of the same class that were built by defoe shipbuilding in Bay City, not that ship though, but it was one that was in more dire need of repairs - still have a shirt and hat from a fundraiser they had. Edson became available so they decided to try for that one.
According to ussedson.org their looking at August 3 for an arrival.

Last edited:

QwKiE

Just keeps on moving along

Right about now this tug just keeps on tugging, Just south of Halifax, Canada right now.

Attachments

• Colonel tug  USS Edson.jpg
    Colonel tug USS Edson.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 2,139

QwKiE

It comes and gos you just have to look for it as it is right now it is out of range. Meaning he might have his GPS off or some other thing but thats normal for boats to do that.
Just type in the name if its in range it will point it out.

pjbracing

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! It is a very neat mapping site! I just didn't know if I was doing something wrong . . . .

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
I caught them coming up the Welland Canal. This a very impressive ship! The Colonel has been joined by the tug Ecosse who has taken up position astern.
Comms were all on normal marine freqs.

Status
Not open for further replies.