Middleboro/Lakeville Ma feed now online-please test it for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

clmaini

hello local mass listeners...

I created a new live audio feed today/saturday Aug 4th,2012 and would like some other members to tune into it and see if it sounds OK on your end. Just looking to see if the Audio level and quality seem ok.Please reply back wiith your views.

The new feed is in the Mass>Plymouth County section and titled Middleboro and Lakeville Police,fire and EMS.

Thank you...Chris in middleboro

P.S. May need to do some more fine tuning

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Chris,

Audio sounds good. Let me ask, are you using a scanner without PL (CTCSS) in it?
Good start so far!

-- Mike

clmaini

hello Mike....

Thanks for checking it out. I have also been trying to test it out myself by just using my Laptop and seeing how it sounds overall. I think I got volume level set to a good setting on Host PC. I do notice some interfearence on certain stations,but then some other frequencies are about as clear as a bell. I probabbly have to fine tune things a bit more.

I have 2 scanners...1 being the Radio shack Pro96 and the other being the Radio shack pro2051...right now the pro2051 is connected to the dedicated PC , but at first I had the Pro96 connected. The pro96 seems better overall and I may just use that one for the live feed. Im going to test things out over the next week or so and eventually get it all tuned up nicely.

Thank you...Chris in Middleboro

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
After a quick listen, I think I'm hearing a low battery beep on the feed, which means the 96 is running. I'm also detecting perhaps no channel delay is added to these channels? Does sound decent from what I'm hearing.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Now it seems to be stuck on a channel with constant hiss. What channels are you scanning in the feed?

clmaini

hello junior...thanks for listening in and replying.

I just swapped out scanners..was using the pro2051, but as of a few minutes ago...about 9pm..switched it to the pro96. The pro96 seems far superior than the pro2051. will leave the pro96 connected indefinetly,since the pro2051 is pretty crappy for what I am doing with the live audio feed and all.

the beeping was me pressing buttons/banks/channels..off/on. The scanner itself is plugged into the AC Adapter power and everything, including my weather station stuff for live weather website is plugged into a APC Battery backup UPS. weather site link in my signature below. also eventuallywant to either add link or embeded the live audio feed into my weatherwebsite, but will figure that all out later day.

The dedicated pc for audiofeed and weather siteis anolder P4 2.26GHZ Dell Optiplex GX260 with 1gig Ram, 80gb hard drive and just a onboard audio (soundmax) in the motherboard. I plugged in the1/8 mono jack from headphone out on scanner to Microphone in outlet of PC. Perhaps if I installed a regular PCI Slot Sound card..the audio/quality would do better? or would this not matter?

as for stations..I have Middleboro/lakeville/halifax/plympton/carver/plymouth/raynham/taunton/carver/wareham/ police,fire and perhaps even a few others.

I am using a p96 file with win96 for most of plymouth county I got from a member of the pro96 yahoo groups i belong to.
to program my pro2051 I have Arc 433 software I purchased about 5 years years ago when I owned another pro2051, but then sold it, but kept the software.

if you want a copyof the p96 file in use...let me know where to send it to you? or can I post it up here as an attachment some how?

Still learning about all of this and doing the Live audio feed, but learned quite a bit already and didnt take long to get feed up and running by reading the great Instructions within here.

any help tips or pointers welcomed.

Thank you..Chris in Middleboro

P.S. Managed to ZIP the p96 I am using and includedas attachment to this message

Attachments

• pro96.zip
    21.5 KB · Views: 66

clmaini

hello again....another question...

see the attachment I included of the web player live audio feed for my feed. Notice next to the 20:32 the orange colored vertical bars are in motion, but at the time there was no audio.

question is does anyone know why the orange bars are always moving, even when there is no auido going on, where as all the other stations/Feeds I have chimed into using the web player viewer are flat lined orange lines, unless there is audio on their feed and then the orange lines move.

hope this makes sense and you understand what I am trying to explain.

also would like to know how to fix this.

Thank you..Chris in Middleboro.

Attachments

• screencapture.jpg
    screencapture.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 413

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
hello again....another question...

see the attachment I included of the web player live audio feed for my feed. Notice next to the 20:32 the orange colored vertical bars are in motion, but at the time there was no audio.

question is does anyone know why the orange bars are always moving, even when there is no auido going on, where as all the other stations/Feeds I have chimed into using the web player viewer are flat lined orange lines, unless there is audio on their feed and then the orange lines move.

hope this makes sense and you understand what I am trying to explain.

also would like to know how to fix this.

Thank you..Chris in Middleboro.

Those bars are displaying the slightest audio interference and/or noise on the feed, and sometimes audio below what we are able to hear.

If you click on the dotted line it will then only display the wide bars during normal audio instead of the little dotted bars.

I posted in your other thread before I saw this one. It sounds like you have a priority on. Did you want this? It can make it difficult to monitor for novice listeners. Otherwise it sounds good.

clmaini

hello....

Mark I forgot to mention in that p96 file I am using above...I am only scanning banks 1-4.

as for a Pri being on...YES it was set on PriWX but I have turned it off. No Pri on now

...Chris

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Chris,

Good Job. Isn't it cool being a feed provider? And don't fret if you get low listener counts at times, that's just how it goes. Bad weather comes through, or there is news from your area, you'll see that count skyrocket. You definately will want to use the 96 w/ the proper ctcss/dcs's programmed in along with plugging it into the wall. I knew you were running non CTCSS as I was hearing New Jersey on it the other night! (Which was kind of cool!)

Again thanks for the feed and keep up the good work.

-- Mike

clmaini

hello Mike....

well I re-edited my p96 file some more so that just Police,fire and EMS only are being transmitted and no other private frequencies I may have had on by accident. is it ok to transmit DPW or is that not allowed. I forgot what the rules are for that?

I also wanted to ask this...I believe my pro96 has the CTCSS ability by unsure how to turn it on/activate it etc. I will attach my most current/in uise p96 file if you or someone can take a look at it and see if everything looks OK and is ON/OFF that should be. if someone could edit for me and reupload it here as attachment I can then upload it to the scanner.

another question is this...the pro96 has the ATT ..I think its called attenuation feature and im not sure what stations this should be enabled for, or should it be enabled for all stations and a brief explaination of what it actually does. from what I read, I think it just adjusts the volume automaticall y for certain frequencies, but all this techno stuff I am unfamiliar with. so maybe check that setting also while inside my p96 file.

right now I am only scanning banks 1,2 and 3 in the p96 file and some of the stations within those banks I locked out because they are probabbly either too far away or someone else's live feed is more suitable for that area.

one other thing to also look at is Bank 8 frequencies which has a lot of MASS state tropers frequencies, but not sure which, if any I should have on/off. I do know there is a mass state trooper building right up the street here on route 28 middleboro just before middleboro rotary but dont know what troop they are. may be good to add a few troopers for my feed, or is it not a good idea?

one last question is this...I found a Good Android App called Scanner Radio, which is here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.scannerradio&hl=en

once installed just click on BROWSE ,then By Area, then USA, STATE,COUNTY.

It is the free version and has a nice interface to it. I have tried other apps, but like the way this one Looks and it works good also. There is also same app for iphone/Apple, but I belive they call it scanner radio deluxe..(free version).
The question is this...when this app is running is it using data all the time, or just when there is a Transmission?

I dont have unlimited Data Plan, I have 100mb only per month.

phone in use is Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate (verizon network), but carrier is called PagePlus Cellular

well thats enough questions for now and Thanks for anymore Techno help.

Chris...In Middleboro

Attachments

• p96file.zip
    21.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
is it ok to transmit DPW or is that not allowed. I forgot what the rules are for that?

No, you need to get permission to add any other agency full time to the feed. (You are allowed to temporarily add a agency short time for testing purposes only, such as NOAA wx.)

I also wanted to ask this...I believe my pro96 has the CTCSS ability by unsure how to turn it on/activate it etc. I will attach my most current/in uise p96 file if you or someone can take a look at it and see if everything looks OK and is ON/OFF that should be. if someone could edit for me and reupload it here as attachment I can then upload it to the scanner.

Your P96 file is a mess. No offense but you are monitoring things you hadn't applied to monitor on your feed, and you have things all over the place. Including monitoring dead channels, etc.
I have built a clean P96 file for you to use for your feed scanner, which I have attached.

another question is this...the pro96 has the ATT ..I think its called attenuation feature and im not sure what stations this should be enabled for, or should it be enabled for all stations and a brief explaination of what it actually does. from what I read, I think it just adjusts the volume automaticall y for certain frequencies, but all this techno stuff I am unfamiliar with. so maybe check that setting also while inside my p96 file.

You do not need the attenuator on your scanner. The attenuator is only needed in situations where you have major signal overload, which you don't have. See the attached file, I left it off on all channels.

one last question is this...I found a Good Android App called Scanner Radio, which is here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.scannerradio&hl=en

once installed just click on BROWSE ,then By Area, then USA, STATE,COUNTY.

It is the free version and has a nice interface to it. I have tried other apps, but like the way this one Looks and it works good also. There is also same app for iphone/Apple, but I belive they call it scanner radio deluxe..(free version).
The question is this...when this app is running is it using data all the time, or just when there is a Transmission?

I dont have unlimited Data Plan, I have 100mb only per month.

phone in use is Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate (verizon network), but carrier is called PagePlus Cellular

well thats enough questions for now and Thanks for anymore Techno help.

Chris...In Middleboro

I have no idea about the wireless phone.

The feed is good. Don't add too much to it. And you can't any department or service which you did not apply for anyways, and you can't add any PD channels which are only used for secondary/tactical use. (See the terms in your feed provider agreement.). Check out the p96 file I attached, it should be suitable for your feed and cover all you need.

Any other questions, feel free to ask...

-- Mike

Attachments

• rrfeed0.zip
    13.1 KB · Views: 75

clmaini

hello Mike...

Thank you for editing my p96 file and the other helpful tips.

I opened up the file with win96 and noticed you put the PD's in bank 1 and the FD's in bank 2...the only problem is the first 6 frequencies for the police dept's are blank?? The names of the towns are there, which starts with middleboro as number 1, but the frequencies numbers and CT/DC Numbers are missing??

the RX mode for these is set to FM...Should it be CT like the rest of the others?

can you please download the file back to your PC and edit in these missing items and then reupload the zip on thread here for me to download?

look at my attachment/screenshot and you will see what I mean. Dont know why those didnt get set.

where do you find the CT/DC numbers for a frequency? and exactly what do they do, as compared to FM Mode?

I could add the frequncies and change the RXmode to CT ,I just dont know what CT/DC Numbers to put in that column for the 6 stations missing data in screenshot.

All the FD's data on Bank 2 is filled in, so that is all set

Thank you...Chris

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 278

clmaini

hi mike....

think I figured it out. The CT/DC numbers are found on the data base under "Tone" Column?

..so I added the frequencies for 6 stations missing data, turned them to CT RX mode, and then put in the tone numbers. most of them were 203.5with exception of Halifax being 91.5

Does it all look correct in my screen image below?

Thanks again..Chris

Attachments

• screen1.jpg
    screen1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:

clmaini

hello junior08...

Thanks for checking and reply.

I Realized after that middleboro tone wos 103.5 and have since fixed that. will need to fix Lakeville freq tommorow after work. I also added in Plympton that was forgotten about.

since making the changes that mike submitted, transmissions and live feed seems overall a lot better than the way I originally had it. Seems Clearer.

with the new things that a scanner can do, as compared to the old crystal scanner days or manually entering a freq one at a time to the basic freq..I am a newbie at RX Mode and all the other new to me techno stuff, but willing to learn new tricks from you pro's. I guess the only way to learn is to ask when in doubt.

one thing I dont understand is what is the difference between RX Mode FM Versus CT?

All the fire depts set are below in the screen capture image below. se if they all look ok. they seem to be working as far as I know. I didnt edit any of these or add or remove any that mike set up for me.

The really cool thing I like about supplying a live feed and listening to the other feeds from radio reference is...being able to hear it all on my cell phone via the Android App while away from house, in vehicle or while at work. its easier to carry around the cell phone than it is a scanner and dont have to worry about losing it, or having it stolen from my vehicle. now if I lose my phone than thats my own damn fault...lol

Thank you again...Chris

Attachments

• firescreencap.jpg
    firescreencap.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 374
Status
Not open for further replies.