• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Browning ping or squeal sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

darticus

Why are there two different sounds Browning mark 3 's made. I personally like the ping better. Is there a way to get a nice ping INSTEAD OF A SQUEAL? Thanks Ron

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Why are there two different sounds Browning mark 3 's made. I personally like the ping better. Is there a way to get a nice ping INSTEAD OF A SQUEAL? Thanks Ron

They are both nothing more than silly noises that create adjacent channel interference and are annoying on the air! :(

n9zas

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
If I remember right, the noise you speak of is an artifact of the switching between the transmitter and receiver.

In my mind, if you have a squeal instead of the "trademark" ping, you're relay is not switching quite quick enough and the transmitter is hearing itself through the receiver more than it should.

There may be nothing that can be done. A real tech could answer that question. And by tech, I don't mean the local CB shop hack. Find someone that knows the older style rigs, and understands their inner quirks.

Personally I always enjoyed the ping of a proper Golden Eagle..

Token

The ping is caused by the receiver not being fully muted when the transmitter keys up, it is a short bit of feedback in the system. This was actually a failure in design in the first models, but was left in or installed in the latter models because it had become such a recognizable Browning “feature”. The ping can be shortened or removed by turning the squelch up. The sound of the ping also changes when the transmitter and receiver are not correctly aligned. It can also be affected by the microphone type and gain and microphone position in relationship to the speaker. Remember that while the amplified D-104 mics look great with these rigs they did not come with them and with everything cranked up that can cause a problem.

In use you could normally get used to a specific persons room/microphone sound combination and tell who was who with the ping, even when nothing was said.

If the radio is stock and the microphone gain is not turned up too high there should not be a squeal but rather a short ping. If you have a noticeable squeal then someone in the past might have altered the radio or the associated capacitor may have changed value as it aged. I don’t happen to remember the exact cap number on the Mk III, but I think it was associated with the audio section of the receiver and might be C66. If I remember right the stock value was about 20 microfarad, and many people installed higher values to increase the ping. Confirm all of that before you try and do anything with it though, I pulled that from memory and might be wrong.

As for adjacent channel noise issues, this was not a problem with the stock Browning, but rather many of the noise boxes people added to other radios trying to make them sound like a Browning. Combine those kinds of things with the modulation turned way up and you ahve splatter issues for sure.

T!

darticus

You are 100% correct. C66 was it and 20 mfd @450v was it. I have the original mic but didn't check to see if the ping changes without the d104.
Another question about the same radio. You may also know the answer to this. The person it came from said years ago they would mod the VFO so you could tune it in to talk on half sideband channels. He said it was only adding a capacitor and it would allow you much more VFO tuning. Anyone familiar with this procedure. Will it cause problems turning side band now as I haven't tried it as yet. There does seem to be a cap in line added right by the VFO knob but inside the case. Any suggestions? Thanks Ron

The ping is caused by the receiver not being fully muted when the transmitter keys up, it is a short bit of feedback in the system. This was actually a failure in design in the first models, but was left in or installed in the latter models because it had become such a recognizable Browning “feature”. The ping can be shortened or removed by turning the squelch up. The sound of the ping also changes when the transmitter and receiver are not correctly aligned. It can also be affected by the microphone type and gain and microphone position in relationship to the speaker. Remember that while the amplified D-104 mics look great with these rigs they did not come with them and with everything cranked up that can cause a problem.

In use you could normally get used to a specific persons room/microphone sound combination and tell who was who with the ping, even when nothing was said.

If the radio is stock and the microphone gain is not turned up too high there should not be a squeal but rather a short ping. If you have a noticeable squeal then someone in the past might have altered the radio or the associated capacitor may have changed value as it aged. I don’t happen to remember the exact cap number on the Mk III, but I think it was associated with the audio section of the receiver and might be C66. If I remember right the stock value was about 20 microfarad, and many people installed higher values to increase the ping. Confirm all of that before you try and do anything with it though, I pulled that from memory and might be wrong.

As for adjacent channel noise issues, this was not a problem with the stock Browning, but rather many of the noise boxes people added to other radios trying to make them sound like a Browning. Combine those kinds of things with the modulation turned way up and you have splatter issues for sure.

T!

peterwo2e

is a factory glitch that became the radios trade mark if yo have this ping you owned the best CB radio in the industry. it does becomes annoying at times but taking the ping away from this radio is like taking the chevron stripe from nikes or taking out the apple logo from mac. is a feed back from the receiver. mic distance from the speaker etc etc will dictate how the ping will sound. it might sound like a squeal or a ping etc. lots of folks thru the year have tried to imitate the browning sound but nothing beats the real thing.
enjoy that baby cause they are becoming very expensive to own and really good ones are very scarce.

JayMojave

Yeah what Peterwo2e said:

Those Browning Radios with the Ping or Squeal sounded great! And yes its the sound of one of the better radios out there, keep ah hummin and buzzin.

One old guy during the 1960's, his handle was CC in Dirks Ar, had a "Gink Gonk" that you could hear up and down the Pacific coast in out fishing boat. We commercially fished for Albacore Tuna, and had a two element quad mounted on the roof of the wheel house, that thing worked great!

CC in Ar would pass info back to Mom in So Ca, and back to us out at sea. A lot cheaper than the Marine Operator that everyone was listening in on.

Oh yeah the memories. Thanks Browning......

Jay in the Mojave

kb8viv

Man, when I was a kid, I used to hear these things on the air and dream about owning one, LOL.

Steve

kb2vxa

Banned
If the ping was so great why did so many pay me to de-ping them? (;->) Now we have the backwards ping you know as a roger beep, just as annoying. <groan> Hey, when I was a kid we communicated by banging on hollow logs with sticks!

Last edited:
Smoke Signals

If the ping was so great why did so many pay me to de-ping them? Hey, when I was a kid we communicated by banging on hollow logs with sticks!

Not far off;

I wanted a pair of Walkie Talkies so bad when I was a kid, I MADE one. Each one was a block of wood with a frozen orange juice can(Microphone/Speaker) and a coat hanger. Range was about 15 feet. My cousin could hear every word if he held his ear to the can. After that came the "Morse Code Kit" with two keys and a 6 volt battery, perhaps a precursor to our Internet. Al Gore and I worked together on that.

Now, about the ping... I own(ed) a Cobra CAM88, which was a real nice sounding radio. Tubes. I need to get that working again. With a D-104, it sounded mint! I used to "spoof" the Browning by striking a coffee mug with a spoon when keying up. It required just the right spoon and just the right mug, but was very believable.

I also used a reel-to-reel tape recorder to produce an echo and an endless tape loop on a foot pedal to produce a "Privacall®" sound. (Remember those?) Since I sampled the birdie sound from the local FD, it was distinctive to my station.

The distinctive sound was a way to pierce the static and reach out to distant, incoming mobiles while calling them.Hang on while I swing the beam!

I gave up on CB when popularity brought about by the "Convoy" song made it unbearable on the local airwaves.

Last edited:

JayMojave

Hello Doctor Dialtone: (Great Handle!)

Our CB Group / Club also had many sounds and sound effects. Train whisles, Sirins, Squching Tires, and the hole bag of sound effects. It was sometimes a hour filled with a lot of fun and non sense. Just about everybody had some sort of sound effect. Hearing someones beam being turned, or swinging around sound effect was probably a spoon on a coffee mug.

Using a car echo box we transmitted out echo audio over the air ways with a slight echo, some didn't like it, some did. But a lot of fun.

As I start to hear skip station start to come with the noise, I have noticed a slight echo to the receving stations audio is a help when in the noise. I heard a echo mic on the local 2 meter repeater a few years ago, man did that stir the pot.

The Browning Radios, Ping could be slightly modified by adjusting the mic to speaker distance, this is why so many Browning Radios Ping was somewhat different, I believe.

Dear old Dad liked the Browning radios so much, he bought a cheapie mobile radio, that set on the radio table, and he transmit then turn down the volume on the mobile radio, giving a Ping sound, leading you to believe it was a Browning Radio, when in reality it was a General Radiotelephone Super MC-11A. A great radio, but not a Browning.

Yeah the Movie Convoy was a way over done Hollywood style. The lyrics some of the guys use over our VHF 2 meter simplex chit chat channel for effect. Lets see.... "So we crashed the gate doing 98 let those truckers roll, Ten-4".... the channel goes quiet, I am laughing, what next? We will have a good laugh at the next radio round up of distinguished radio enthusiasts at the coffee break.

Jay in the Mojave

Techy

I did a poor mans ping on my old D-104 mic once with a "G" guitar string. You bent the string in a L sort of shape, and under the screw on the rear. Bent the string so it would hit the bar when you keyed up lmao. Heck it worked lol.

989gle.jpg

JayMojave

Hello Techy: Perfect! These forums are great for learning.

Hello SpaceMan: I did it when I was a kid, most people though I was in a tunnel, funny.

Some echo mic's are over done.

Jay in the Mojave

peterwo2e

If the ping was so great why did so many pay me to de-ping them? (;->) Now we have the backwards ping you know as a roger beep, just as annoying. <groan> Hey, when I was a kid we communicated by banging on hollow logs with sticks!

the truth is people that were receiving these birds without the ping were calling browning complaining that their bird did not have the ping, they wanted the ping back! folks wanted everybody to know they owned the best and the ping identified just that! when you hear a set of browning on the air just sit back and enjoy that ping, cause you are listening to a part of cb history.

gewecke

Banned
the truth is people that were receiving these birds without the ping were calling browning complaining that their bird did not have the ping, they wanted the ping back! folks wanted everybody to know they owned the best and the ping identified just that! when you hear a set of browning on the air just sit back and enjoy that ping, cause you are listening to a part of cb history.

All those kids with the browning toys should have been given fisher price tape recorders to play with so the responsible operators didn't have to endure the racket those things made!
All the feedback wasn't necessary unless they really didn't want to talk to each other to begin with. :mad:

n9zas

k3cfc

Silent Key

It won't do any good to quote ( kb2vxa ) as he is no longer with us.

K3CFC

Status
Not open for further replies.