• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Speaker activation from tone out help

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfordfire

Feed Provider
Hello,

So I work for a rural fire department that has a very basic tone out system set up at the station, basically its a base station that monitors our dispatch frequency which is also our radio traffic frequency. My question is or project is, I am trying to set it up so that the speakers in our station only come on when the tones for dispatch go off so we only get the dispatches throughout the station and not regular traffic. It becomes a problem at night when people are trying to sleep and keep getting woken up by radio traffic. Does anyone know of a device that can be put in line between the radio and the speaker system?
Thanks for your help

Kevin

cabletech

There are several differant ways to configure station alerting. I work with them all the time.

First off, what type of radio are you using as the base? Am I also seeing that you DO NOT wish to have the speaker on full time? only on tone out?

What do you do for in house bells/alarms? do you just use the tone from the radio or do you also set off other bells/whisles/etc?

Need to know what type of radio you currently are using and type of system (VHF/UHF/TRUNCKING)

You can also e-mail me and I can help with ideas--cabletech03@hotmail.com

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What flavor radio do you have for the base?

We use Motorola CDM-1250's. We program it with two channels:
Ch. 1 is a "day" channel, it monitors the dispatch frequency full time
Ch. 2 is the "alert" channel, it monitors the dispatch frequency, but only activates the external speaker when the correct 2 tone is heard.

The CDM 1250 and 1550 will do two tone. You can set up a channel to only open when it receives the correct two tone signal. It will stay open for however long you program and return to normal mode, or you can program it to require a button press to close it back down.

waterfordfire

Feed Provider
Hey guys,

Thanks for the repply, so we use Motorola's CDM-1250, it is basically linked to the speakers throughout the station and is 'on' all the time so we hear all radio traffic throughout the station everytime someone keys the mic. Ive attached a picture of our setup. We just have one tone that is used to page us out. It would be nice to be able to set it up so that it was in the on position during the day and then only on at night for dispatch tones. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Kevin

Attachments

• 2012-08-29_17-26-23_164.jpg
    2012-08-29_17-26-23_164.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 504

andrewtv08

We use a minitor pager on an amplified charger base. It is normally set to open, and will alert with our tones, but has the option to set it to closed, and it will alert with our tones or the tornado siren tones. Just make sure there isn't a speaker around the base radio, or it will squeal when you key up. The reply above is also a good idea, and fairly simple. Just create a "pager" channel on the radio that only opens up with PL & two-tone together.

waterfordfire

Feed Provider
Another question while we are on the topic of speaker activation, is there any easy and inexpensive way to set it up so that the lights come on with the tones? Thanks for all your help guys

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'd have to look at that. We didn't do it with the current set up, however there is likely a way to do it with one of the output pins on the back of the CDM. My programming laptop is at work, so I won't be able to look until some time tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.