Montclair pd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
Montclair PD is operating on Montclair fire channel 2. A friend told me that the police have moved off the trunked system, due to multiple grivences submitted by the Montclair PBA. I don't know if this move is temporary or what. If I find out, I"ll let you know.
Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

SCPD

QRT
What does a union issue have to do what radios they use?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mondaro

Feed Provider
One agency who finally wised up, Kearny Police will be following down the road lots of problems with there system and there brass not very happy these days. The problem comes down to money, the up keep is not cheap.

edisonfire

It's not a union issue per se but the union acts on behalf of its members. If the cops on the street are complaining they cannot understand radio messages, they aren't receiving messages, they have no coverage in certain parts of town etc, they ***** to the union leadership because generally management isn't responding to their concerns. Do you think a cop cares what frequency, whether its conventional or trunked or any other mundane issue? He/she simply cares that when they push to transmit it works and they can contact/be contacted by other officers and dispatch.

I don't know Montclair specifically but I would presume their prior radio system of dedicated repeaters for Police & Fire worked fine. Ergo, that's why the PD is using the former Montclair FD channel 2.

Essexscan

I worked in Montclair for 20 years a cpl steps from MPD/FD HQ. Montclair has and still has alot of dead spots especially in Cell freqs. AT&T/Verizon put cell towers all over on buildings/ Montclair state College/ upper montclair-Valley road trying to cover the dead air.

Montclair is a funny town it's on the side of a hill for parts of it and these spots drop out of line-of-sight to the towers esp for UHF and above freqs.

Between West Orange and Montclair there's a ton of Radio towers/repeaters running just because of the locations and clear sight lines especially in West orange at the top of Eagle Rock Ave

ansky

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BlackBerry; Opera Mini/7.0.30024/28.2504; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

I think this is another case of taxpayers getting hosed by an expensive, fancy digital radio system. It's all sales and marketing that "digital is better" which we all know isn't true. Funny that they are reverting back to the old system as a better alternative. At least I can listen now since I only have an analog scanner.

pjtnascar

Is Kearny coming off of their encrypted system? I bought my mom a scanner last summer so she could hear Kearny PD. She was disappointed to hear they went encrypted.

SCPD

QRT
Change made to DB

9-12-12 Due to reported coverage issues, Police Dispatch and Operations are using (Temporarily?) Montclair Fire 2 Frequency 500.3625 PL 192.8.(Analog and in the Clear)

Yes, i can confirm hearing Montclair PD using their Fire 2 Ch. So I updated the DB to reflect this change. How long it lasts, just have to wait and see. I'll keep and eye on it too.

ansky

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BlackBerry; Opera Mini/7.0.30024/28.2504; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

Fire 2 is 500.4625

SCPD

QRT
Montclair Trunked System / Old VHF freqs

Since Police and Fire Dept are currently using analog on conventional repeater frequencies. 500.3625 & 500.4625 PL 192.8. for the aforementioned communications issues/problems. Is there or has there been any activity on their trunked system? I am currently out of the area to monitor myself that's why I am asking here.

Also as a side note, Montclair re licensed their (old) VHF frequencies (2022 & 2021 new exp dates) that were used for police before switching to the P25 Trunk-ed System. Now all narrow band 11K2F3E VHF (Currently not in RR DB)

KEB238 158.7900 R (input 156.090) Former PL 179.9 PD Disp
KTG734 159.1650 BM PL 179.9 PD Ch 2

If they still have their old equipment, perhaps they will switch back. Coverage was decent on VHF. Also monitoring the VHF Freqs again might help.

Any help here is appreciated:D!

Ken

Alarmguy

Former Alarm Guy, turned Radio guy
Premium Subscriber
They used to blow Wyckoff and Midland Park off the air since they were adjacent to 158.7825. Also Wyckoff PD used to use of all things 158.7900 123.0 as their car to car freq back in the day. Someone mentioned a while back they were hearing a morse ID on 158.7900, most likely that is Wyckoff's repeater IDing KEB440 on the hour in CSQ bleeding over from 158.7825, and not Montclair as someone thought. I could be wrong though since you say Montclair Renewed their license on 158.7900.

SCPD

QRT
What about Montclair?

They used to blow Wyckoff and Midland Park off the air since they were adjacent to 158.7825. Also Wyckoff PD used to use of all things 158.7900 123.0 as their car to car freq back in the day. Someone mentioned a while back they were hearing a morse ID on 158.7900, most likely that is Wyckoff's repeater IDing KEB440 on the hour in CSQ bleeding over from 158.7825, and not Montclair as someone thought. I could be wrong though since you say Montclair Renewed their license on 158.7900.

Alarmguy,

Yes back in the day there was bleed-over also on the old Passaic County Crime alert frequency on 158.805. This frequency is now a seldom used car to car frequency for the county freeholders.

Interestingly enough they did renew and modified to VHF narrow-band all their VHF licenses total of 3 frequencies including 154.0400 WPES849. All for what? Back up to the trunked system? Ha! Go Figure?

On their P25 TRUNK-ED SYSTEM Talkgroups were allocated to all their emergency services. Police and EMS went first but the FD seemed reluctant and remained on their 2 500 Mhz standard analog repeater channels. Did they know something? Now they have to share one frequency with the PD.

I am pretty sure sales persons and the radio shop are scrambling to save the Montclair account by trying to fix the coverage issues and have the town remain on the p25 system. At the same time perhaps make a few extra $ by improving the system they should have had done in the first place.

As a lay person, I have a good general idea on how these systems work, However, there are more techies here in the forums who could run circles around me. A possible solution, nor do I know easy it would be, why dont they convert their remaining 5 500MHz P25 Trunk Repeaters to conventional repeaters as the 2 current ones are and there buy give all departments a little more room to operate radio spectrum wise at lest in the interim. But what do I know, its just a suggestion and it may be to expensive to do the conversion. Or more likely to embarrassing for some politician or radio sales person if not both.

That's my 5 cents on Montclair. I hope things work out for them radio wise:roll:.

Essexscan

Montclair should spend less money on radios or get a good UHF system like Newark and spend the rest on UP-Armored Hummvs because at night there it's time to Drink up-Ruck up-Mount up and put your helmet on-cause it's about to get retarded

BIODTL1997

Premium Subscriber
"because at night there it's time to Drink up-Ruck up-Mount up and put your helmet on-cause it's about to get retarded"

awesome! :eek:)

I listen to Montclair every day for the most part. From what is sounds like, the issue is with their portable "Pack Set" radios used with their VRSs. Coverage is fine with the Mobiles; EMS and DPW are still on the trunked system. Regarding the renewal of the VHF freqs, these are most likely the frequencies used for the portable <=> mobile VRS systems -- just an educated guess(I do know that the are cross-band, for a fact). Unfortunately, since they are off the TRS right now, I can't test that one out.

They're having issues with the analog channel now as well, probably because they threw the configs together in a flash and didn't have the time to properly adjust tuning/audio settings.

There is plenty of crazy ***** that goes on around here that I can completely understand the frustration that our officers are having when out of the car on a search or in a basement and cant get in touch with dispatch. I wouldn't want to be that guy! They are one damn good police force though.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like their using the trunked system again. Stay tuned.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.