WTK: Shortwave Recommendations Antenna for IC-706MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultravista

I recently acquired an Icom IC-706MKII radio. My plan, before I get my license and begin transmitting, is to use the radio for a general coverage and shortwave receiving.

The IC-706 has two coaxial antenna ports and I am looking for antenna suggestions for monitoring shortwave. I live in a house and have the ability to string just about anything up.

Looking for recommendations for a great all-around shortwave antenna that will connect to the coaxial port.

k9rzz

Great radio. I used to run one in the car. Start off simple by sticking a long wire into the HF antenna socket (the other one is for VHF/UHF). 10 feet or longer. Then, while you're listening, poke through the Wiki linked above to see what you can build next.

Welcome aboard!

gfoxtrot

For a start take an electric wire(longest the better,i believe around 10m to 20m long will be fine)and conect it to the rear of the transceiver(antenna port), Do not forget to connect a ground as well(not from the socket of your wall!!!).Your ground could be a copper tube in the ground i.e.

Wish you to get your license fast and talk over the air!

ps: this kind of antenna is very simple for listening, of course is not the best. But remember if you can install an antenna(tuned)for the HF ham bands from this time, do it! just do not transmit!

Welcome to RR,
George

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
My thoughts exactly, you just beat me to it. I've had some pretty good luck with fan dipoles, they don't need a tuner and like many designs from DC to light all the info you need is on the internet. Why put up something you can't transmit on and take it down all for nothing when you get your license?

Oh I almost forgot how much I love my Mk2-G!

Status
Not open for further replies.