Belmont county residents SAVE YOUR MONEY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

durango5550

Booger D.
just a heads up for you belmont county listeners and residents , Belmont county is going encripted all the time , this info was recieved from the belmont county 911 page

http://users.1st.net/bce911/minutes05.htm#NOV05

can't believe they are gonna waste 500 to 600 dollars a radio to go encripted all the time not only is it a waste of money but they think the audio quality is crap now wait till they go encripted.

anyhow just wanted to spread the word.

Dan

ps belmont county will also be rebanded when Wheeling Wva get rebanded to keep the two compatible with each other.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Well, people accuse me of too optomistic sometimes, but this is what I saw in the mintues:

Updating of Radio System:

The update has been completed. We are now adding encryption, which should be completed by the end of the year. It will cost $500.00 to $600.00 per radio to encode for encryption

There are a lot of agencies that add encrytion to thier radios, but only use it on select TG's for special operations. I could be totally wrong, but I don't know that this is the end of scanning for you on this system.

durango5550

Booger D.
Well when i spoke with Mr. Sligar about becoming a Volunteer for the EOC I also asked him about the issue of encrypting the system and according to him, " all the law enforcement talkgroups will be encrypted", for some odd reason it seems as though belmont county has alot to hide. any how i guess we wont know for sure until the system is done and someone in the area with a digital capable scanner hears traffic on the system , but i wont waste 400 dollars for a scanner that is useless I know i could listen to the marcs system but heck the Highway Patrol is just as useless :)

mancow

Database Admin
If it's a digital system they won't notice an audio difference at all when encrypted.

mancow

durango5550

Booger D.
Really? I thought that encryption took away from the audio quality , so im guessing the encryption is not on the audio side but on the signal side?

Dan

durango5550

Booger D.
well I was wrong I guess they are going encryiption but as stated before only on certain private talk groups ( ie Bridgeport Private , Martins ferry private etc. etc.)

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
dawson75 said:
well I was wrong I guess they are going encryiption but as stated before only on certain private talk groups ( ie Bridgeport Private , Martins ferry private etc. etc.)

ROFL. I wonder what kind of private comms you would be missing from podunk - not that Jefferson is any better :) I'm gonna start going down to Belmont and start sniffing and documenting. Hopefully there is something left to listen to.

Mike

durango5550

Booger D.
There is pleanty to listen to ... im just waiting for the day my purchase will be useless, They havent updated the 911 website with the meeting minutes in a while so i havent heard or seen whats going on.

Dan

16b

Premium Subscriber
dawson75 said:
Really? I thought that encryption took away from the audio quality , so im guessing the encryption is not on the audio side but on the signal side?

Dan
In the most simplistic sense, here is what happens:

On transmit:
1) The user talks into the radio.
2) The user's voice is converted into data (ones and zeroes).
3) The data is encrypted.
4) The data is sent over the air.

On receive:
4) The data is received over the air.
5) The data is decrypted.
6) The the ones and zeroes are converted into analog sound.
7) The analog sound is sent to the speaker.

If encryption is not being used, take out steps 3 and 5. The voice is converted to ones and zeroes in either case, so there is little difference to be heard between the two.

If you consider an analog radio with an encryption module in it, in the enabled state the audio is digitized so it can be encrypted and in the disabled state it is not digitized at all (analog). In this situation, a *significant* different was heard between encrypted and clear mode. Motorola even admitted that the encrypted audio was "not as crisp" or something like that in their literature (quite the understatement, whatever it was).

If main dispatch channels indeed go encrypted, you can bet on the local news media making quite a fuss because they can't hear the police anymore. So the compromise becomes leaving the dispatch channels in the clear and simply taking all of the traffic that they don't want anybody to hear to the tactical or "private" channels. I don't particularly care for this arrangement, but it's the best there is sometimes.

Mylan

Feed Provider
16b said:
If main dispatch channels indeed go encrypted, you can bet on the local news media making quite a fuss because they can't hear the police anymore.

HA Youv'e got to be kidding me.... the two tv news stations around here are so pathetic that they don't even have radio scanners (or know what they are)..... If they did they would:
1. get their facts straight on the first or second newscast.
2. get to the fire scene before overhall begins
3. report major incidents as "breaking news" (last sunday at like 19:00 a tractor trailer collides head on with a car and then crashes into a house; two wounded and major state route intersection is closed. this happens less than 5 minutes from one tv stations studios and on the 11:00 news they talk about the warm weather- geez (neither station ever anything about that mva- even the next day)

maybe I should call the breaking news into them since it seems like they can only show news about people in court hearings or christmas shopping/returns.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Mylan said:
HA Youv'e got to be kidding me.... the two tv news stations around here are so pathetic that they don't even have radio scanners (or know what they are)..... If they did they would:
1. get their facts straight on the first or second newscast.
2. get to the fire scene before overhall begins
3. report major incidents as "breaking news" (last sunday at like 19:00 a tractor trailer collides head on with a car and then crashes into a house; two wounded and major state route intersection is closed. this happens less than 5 minutes from one tv stations studios and on the 11:00 news they talk about the warm weather- geez (neither station ever anything about that mva- even the next day)

maybe I should call the breaking news into them since it seems like they can only show news about people in court hearings or christmas shopping/returns.

What? No camcorder commandos down that way? :) News 9 isn't much better, if it is at all.

Mike

Mylan

Feed Provider
NEWS 9 2 weeks ago:

"a fire in belmont county destroyed a vacant house just a few miles south of powhatan point"

they said that on multiple newscasts over 3 days when in fact the fire was in monroe county.
they must have assumed that that the incident was in belmont co EVEN THOUGH the county line is at the powhatan corp limit. ( at least the wheeling news register got it correct.)

and just wednsday: "the man was airlifted to a pittsburgh hospital" when in fact he was taken to OVMC (oddly enough by helicopter)....

these are just a couple that I remember

durango5550

Booger D.
Funny you should mention our wonderful on the spot news stations Mylan ... My niece worked at dennys and about a week ago they all walked out due to a A$*hOlE manager making a waitress take a plate of food out with a hair on it and when the patrons wanted to speak to a manager he ran and hid. ( not the first time he has done this ) anyway i think it was wtrf 7 that just happen to be there when all the employee walked out on the manager... Here is the kicker ... every employee got fired for walking out and the manager still works there... BREAKING NEWS AT 11

but they cant show up or get the right info for something major!!

:)

Mylan

Feed Provider
... im just waiting for the day my purchase will be useless, .

Dan

Well Dan... (if you're still around 9 yrs later) That day would be today- October 20, 2014... your scanner is now officially completely useless for listening to any Belmont County law enforcement agencies....

... and now we find out if the news media will make a fuss or not.....

n8jsw

Premium Subscriber
That just sucks for all in Belmont County who listen to the Pd in belmont county. I guess i need to upgrade for now to even listen to the fird.

durango5550

Booger D.
Still here Mylan,

Not driving the bus anymore but still here. And yes I am upset, guess its time to reprogram the ol moto.

bailly2

since they started adding encryption in 2005, i think they are encrypting to hide incompetence. if your mad about them doing this you can listen to the input frequencies (mobile side) and know if something is going on nearbys.....or you can encrypt all your own emails, phone call, web traffic. ...although you'll need someone to care enough to buy an ip phone or configure zfone with google talk or another voip application

Status
Not open for further replies.