• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

BaoFeng BF-888 S+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
Actually it is funny you ask. I was just playing with this radio trying to figure out how to program the factory frequency on channel one 462.12500 (any Help with this is welcome please) to the new narrowband requirements so I can reprogram the 15 other units we have.

I used this radio for the first time yesterday from 11AM Saturday 9/28/12 until 2AM this morning while doing a gig and I must say it worked and handled very well.

Very clear with audio receiving and transmitting while using a 3-wire surveillance ear piece, even with really loud sounds (music) playing directly in front of me. Very light unit, 16 channels, and battery life was really good as it is still working now as I type this playing with it all without any further charging. Has two side programmable buttons, an LED "Flashlight", and is a nice small radio to hold in you hand if you so please without much discomfort.

I do not own this unit as of yet, but my buddy let me take it home to play with and program the frequencies into this and my personal radios. Finding the software was easy, I could post the Facebook link to where I found the Manual, drivers and the software if it is allowed here? As for the programing cable, I used my cable from my Wouxun radio, and it worked just fine.

My friend said he purchased 15 of these total for $300.00 so that would make it like $20.00 each radio. Which to me for that price is VERY good and worth the money. I did just look on Fleabay, and see it selling for $23.00 shipped in from Hong Kong So really good deal for a little radio.

Hope this was good info for you.

Dafe.

W2NJS

That unit price for a 16-channel commercial UHF HT makes sense. There is, or recently was, another auction on eBay for a new UHF HT with those specs for something like $24.00. I don't recall if it was Part 90 certificated or not.

Last edited:

shmget

I got one recently. Programmed it for some amateur radio channels. I asked for a radio report, and got a pretty good one. Seems to work pretty well. My son tried to open the side cover for the speaker/mic and got confused and ended up prying out the PTT rubber button instead! I doubt he would have been able to do that on the more expensive handhelds. I don't know what kind of screws hold the plastic and the radio boards in, but I get the feeling it isn't meant to be opened easily. They look like some variation of Torx screws.

In short, I think the quality of construction is not that great, but the radio does work as advertised. It has a LED that works like a flashlight.

I got the radio for $25, a speaker/mic for $10 and a programming cable for $10. It is USB, and it was a pain to install the drivers. In fact, I couldn't on a 64 bit system, and had to put the drivers on another 32-bit computer. That worked fine.

So in short, if I needed a 70cm rig that I didn't care about, this one does work and can certainly get me on the air. But I wouldn't take it anywhere that it could get beat up, as the plastic just isn't the same as the amateur/commercial gear I'm used to.

I hope this helps some.

Bob
KD1ZD/WQIJ767

gkjunk757

Premium Subscriber
Hoping for some help guys. I have a couple of BF-888s. I cant get the radio to upload or download programming. I have ruled out the drivers and cable because I use the same computer and cable to program my Baofeng UV-5RA with no problems. I continue to get the message "please check all communication and port settings". I doubt the chance that both radios i have are malfunctioning when it comes to programming. I am using windows 8. But I know its not the cable or drivers because I can program my uv-5r with no problems. Any ideas???? Thanks

Drachen_Fire

I've programmed them with both Windows 7 and Windows XP. They both worked fine. Try going online and downloading the actual Prolific PL2303 drivers. There was an issue with the drivers for the programming cables. Also, if problems read/writing are occurring, remember to hold down the option button when turning on the radio to enter programming mode.

RollingJ

Baofeng bf888s programming for XP, or How to get the damn thing to connect.

Start with the USB-to-serial cable unplugged.

If you have tried to install this stuff before and couldn't get it to work, please uninstall the drivers first. Insert your usb to serial cable into the usb port, right click My Computer in the start menu, click properties, click the hardware tab, click device manager, expand the 'ports (com & lpt)', right click the Prolific USB-to-serial, click uninstall and follow the prompts to uninstall. Remove the programing cable. Leave it unplugged.

Create an 888s folder in your documents folder. It makes it so much easier to have everything in one place. Copy all the files below into this folder after you download them so you know where everything is.

I found the usb driver for the programming cable here: Fujian Nan'an Baofeng Electronics Co., Ltd.China Two-way Radio Manufacturer
Download the Usb Driver and copy it to your 888s folder.

Double click on the USB driver file to start to un-rar it. Go to the USB driver folder it creates and run the usb_XP2K09.exe file. You might be asked to restart your computer.

Download this zip file, put it in your 888s folder and extract it.
http://sysfiles-download.com/data/JK82mxJBHsrAsdHqQvsK/s/ser2pl.zip

Now it's time to connect the USB-to-serial cable to the usb port of your choise and let Windows install the drivers. Always use the same usb port or Windows will re-install the drivers and assign a new com port.

You will need to browse for the ser2pl.sys file twice during the driver install. If you followed directions you should have already extracted it to your 888s folder.

Once it is installed, go into the device profile in the device manager. Right click My Computer in the start menu, click properties, click the hardware tab, click device manager, expand the 'ports (com & lpt)', right click the Prolific USB-to-serial, click properties, Port Setting tab, Advanced, click the COM port number dropdown and chose an un-used port between 1-4. Back out by clicking ok to save the settings you just changed.

Download the programming software here http://www.yaesu.hk/pic/download/BF-480_490_3U_888.rar Copy it to your 888s folder and double click it to extract it. Open the BF-480 folder. Open pLanguage.exe, select English, and click Finish.

You are almost there.

Open the BF480.exe file. Every time you open this file you will need to check these two settings:
Click Setup, click model, choose 400-470mhz, click OK.
Click Setup again, click Communication Port and verify that the port you selected above is checked.

Make sure your radio is off and connect it to the programming cable. Turn the radio on. Click the Program tab, click Read from Radio, and then click OK in the box that opens. You should pull the existiog programming from the radio and be able to start editing.

You should be golden.

I'm not about to tell you what you should do once you have access to programming, but since I had such a tough time getting this far I thought I should share what worked for me. The Help Topic tab explains a little as well.

Edit your radio to use the the legal frequencies you are licenced to use. If you are in the US, find out more at ARRL.org and get your Technicans licence!

Enjoy!

(Moderator Note: please be patient with the new member moderation period. It can often take more than four hours to get approved.)

Last edited by a moderator:

DuBOB

Gents, Got something for the BF-888s with Gen purpose Cable

Ok, I troubleshot all day - found that the directions here are spot on - if your getting a Check cable or connection error. Note - the radio will make sounds and light up before it is programed so don't think that is what it needs to show activity.

If your radio does not make sounds prior - remove the battery pack and look in where the pins make contact.
--- I found a small sticker blocking one side of the pins - also, there is a barely visible plastic shield used for shipping that needs pulled off.
{This had to be covered!!}

Next, I did not need any new software and drivers other than what is already listed here - just make sure when you power on, insure you hold the top orange button until you hear a beep.
{THEN plug in the double prong end into the radio}.

Also - as stated during one of the lower procedures, "While in the BF-480 Program" you need to choose and verify both frequency range and com port "EACH TIME" for some people.
{400 - 470 with the active com-port 1 - 4}.

After that, start with a read from the radio. see what happens... yes, you must click the ok to start the activity.
{The display box will flash across with a blue loader bar}.

LAST - This is Windows 7 64 bit running the setup. Installed the BF-840 software, and Driver

I tried to upload each of the last -

Good Luck.....

DuBOB

I tried to attach the files needed. Sorry, no luck.

Ok, I troubleshot all day - found that the directions here are spot on - if your getting a Check cable or connection error. Note - the radio will make sounds and light up before it is programed so don't think that is what it needs to show activity.

If your radio does not make sounds prior - remove the battery pack and look in where the pins make contact.
--- I found a small sticker blocking one side of the pins - also, there is a barely visible plastic shield used for shipping that needs pulled off.
{This had to be covered!!}

Next, I did not need any new software and drivers other than what is already listed here - just make sure when you power on, insure you hold the top orange button until you hear a beep.
{THEN plug in the double prong end into the radio}.

Also - as stated during one of the lower procedures, "While in the BF-480 Program" you need to choose and verify both frequency range and com port "EACH TIME" for some people.
{400 - 470 with the active com-port 1 - 4}.

After that, start with a read from the radio. see what happens... yes, you must click the ok to start the activity.
{The display box will flash across with a blue loader bar}.

LAST - This is Windows 7 64 bit running the setup. Installed the BF-840 software, and Driver

I tried to upload each of the last -

Good Luck.....

I got my second radio in today, plugged in and programmed in 5 - 6 seconds.

fdscan

I'm looking into purchasing a few of these - how long do they usually last? Anyone think they can stand up in snowy conditions? Not like sitting in a pile of snow but clipped on a belt or jacket, maybe some wind and definitely the cold weather.

Last edited by a moderator:

Logan005

I have an 888 that is about a half year old. This in South Florida heat and humidity. Never snows or get's cold here. but it rains a lot. This radios has been submerged for several min's as well as water running through a window and down the feedline, multiable 3 and 4 foot drops onto concrete and gravel. Some users have mentioned that Baofeng radios are not as accurate as a real part 95 radio. The BF888 is an awesome radio for the price, However wile I was shopping for radios lastnight, I found the UV3r on sale. A pair for 49.99 shipped. for the extra 12 bucks, I get TWO dual banders with display in an even smaller package. so I passed on getting any new 888's until I try these UV3r's. I must also mention none of these radios are Part95 certified for use on GMRS. "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK" Best Regards, Jim...

fdscan

I have an 888 that is about a half year old. This in South Florida heat and humidity. Never snows or get's cold here. but it rains a lot. This radios has been submerged for several min's as well as water running through a window and down the feedline, multiable 3 and 4 foot drops onto concrete and gravel. Some users have mentioned that Baofeng radios are not as accurate as a real part 95 radio. The BF888 is an awesome radio for the price, However wile I was shopping for radios lastnight, I found the UV3r on sale. A pair for 49.99 shipped. for the extra 12 bucks, I get TWO dual banders with display in an even smaller package. so I passed on getting any new 888's until I try these UV3r's. I must also mention none of these radios are Part95 certified for use on GMRS. "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK" Best Regards, Jim...

Hm... Didn't expect that from them to be honest. I'm not sure how much effect the cold would have on them, if any.

kd7ckq

They actually work pretty good. I bought one just to see what all the fuss was. Here is a screen shot of mine that I hooked up to my Service Monitor to check out.

DSCF3114_zps5ba9eefd.jpg

K3NXU

Here's some info that might assist.

The 480 software is no longer the most recent for the BF-888S.
The latest software is BF888S v1.05. This is available at http://www.miklor.com/BF888
Check under software. (CHIRP is also now compatible)

The proper drivers are available at http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php

as well as a re-Formatted Manual for the radio http://www.miklor.com/BF888/888-Manual.php

I've had mine for several months. The receiver is excellent and audio is clear.

Hope this helps...
John K3NXU

http://www.miklor.com

Last edited:

firedog359

BF-888s

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here.I work in our local hospital in communications and we are using a Motorola GM300 as a base in the comm room and our PD officers carry CP200 handhelds.We operate on the mid 400 mhz band and use a repeater on the roof.The hospital just replaced the old wideband radios and repeater late last year with this new set up and it's all pieces of crap.We're lucky to hear every other word.So I got to looking around and found the BF-888s.I figured,What the heck,it's less than $20 and it can't be any worse than what we have now.I bought two of them and let my officers carry them on a shift and they worked absolutly wonderful.We got clean TX and RX on all 7 floors and on all of the outlying properties over 5 miles away. It's hard to believe that a $14.95 radio beats a $300 Motorola but it does.

K3NXU

I have 8 handhelds (different models) on use my 888S more than any of the others.
I don't like switching batteries so I bought 2.
When the 'voice' comes on and says to Change Batteries, I place it in the charger and use the other one.
A replacement battery cost almost as much as the entire radio.

For programming, I use the 888S v1.05 software found at BF-888S BF888S BF888S BF-888 Baofeng" />

Status
Not open for further replies.