OARS System Up in Baldwin County

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
The correct frequency should be 770.60625 MHz. Baldwin County Sheriff's Office has microwave licenses currently pending for this system. Radio tower locations are at:

• GCSU
  • Meriwether Road
  • Hwy. 16 (960 Parta Highway in Eatonton, GA.)
73's

Ron

Napsterbater

Yeah my BCD396T drops that last digit.

The "GCSU" Tower is not the campus from what I understand its out on Hwy 49.

The microwave links will link this to the OARS system in Greene County.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
Since the Eatonton tower is located in Putnam County, does this mean they will be joining the OARS TRS in the future?

73's

Ron

Napsterbater

That was the initial plan awhile ago but has since dissolved.

The Putnam tower at this point to my knowledge is simply a relay to connect Baldwin with the OARS system in Greene County.

Napsterbater

BCSO and MPD is now on the system full time and 100% encrypted.

2 Frequencies found with scanner.
771.50625 (scanner shows 771.5062)
774.38125 (scanner shows 774.3812)

Last edited:

jwskinner

Stupid Question

I am kind of new to this. I am a retired Vietnam Vet and my main "entertainment" was listening to my HomePatrol police scanner here in Baldwin County. So are you telling me that with the new digital system being encrypted, I'm not going to hear anything anymore? Is there some way around it? I hate that I put $500 into a scanner that picks up nothing.

rapidcharger

I am kind of new to this. I am a retired Vietnam Vet and my main "entertainment" was listening to my HomePatrol police scanner here in Baldwin County. So are you telling me that with the new digital system being encrypted, I'm not going to hear anything anymore? Is there some way around it? I hate that I put $500 into a scanner that picks up nothing.

That's right, your $500 scanner is now as useful to your hobby as a sack of potatoes. There's no way around it and there's no new scanner that will be able to hear it and there's no descrambler gadget you can hook up to it. It's the end of the line.
The good news is they are still selling for outrageously high prices on ebay if you wanted to sell it. A lot of the time the fire and ems channels won't be encrypted so you might try listening for that and see if it's as much fun to listen to. When it comes to small towns where the PD pretty much runs license plates all day, the fire and EMS is far more interesting anyway in my opinion. And if you're REAL lucky, they'll be simulcasting that so you can use some old $10 scanner and trade the homepatrol for cash.

codeplug

Disabled Veteran, US Army, RIP #Hobo Shoestring#
Last edited:

Renetti

Premium Subscriber
Codeplug, Thanks for the updated info, but I am not sure I understand what I am looking at? These are the new freq's under temp license or proof that it's gone encrypted and I am screwed, lol?

troymail

Silent Key
Codeplug, Thanks for the updated info, but I am not sure I understand what I am looking at? These are the new freq's under temp license or proof that it's gone encrypted and I am screwed, lol?

I believe that STA (temporary license) was just to allow them to turn the system on while awaiting the permanent license.

The five frequencies are the same as the permanent license.

I do not believe there is anything on the license(s) that speaks to encryption (but I could be wrong).

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/...tachmentKey=19074409&attachmentInd=applAttach

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/...tachmentKey=19074410&attachmentInd=applAttach

Renetti

Premium Subscriber
Okay, so I added the freqs (769-805) and since I did not know the logical channel numbers for the trunked system I let the radio do a discovery across the range. Still nothing to find. I even reached out to the local AmRadio club in town to see if anyone was successful in monitoring the area, but none of them are operating scanners, only HAM radios. :-(

LOL anyone want to buy a BCD436HP with upgrades just out of box?

Damn the new systems. Wish it was like the old days when I could just buy a crystal or two and slap them in.

Renetti

Premium Subscriber
Okay, so I added the freqs (769-805) and since I did not know the logical channel numbers for the trunked system I let the radio do a discovery across the range. Still nothing to find. I even reached out to the local AmRadio club in town to see if anyone was successful in monitoring the area, but none of them are operating scanners, only HAM radios. :-(

LOL anyone want to buy a BCD436HP with upgrades just out of box?

Damn the new systems. Wish it was like the old days when I could just buy a crystal or two and slap them in.

So just spoke with the head radio tech that handles all the programming for the local services and they are definitely encrypted. No traffic visibility at all for area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troymail

Silent Key
So just spoke with the head radio tech that handles all the programming for the local services and they are definitely encrypted. No traffic visibility at all for area.

It's too bad folks have to find that out after they purchase a radio - and bad that the Uniden doesn't allow you to even figure that out once you have it (since they mute [most] encrypted channels).

Any chance you can return it to the seller?

Napsterbater

The only thing not encrypted is the Fire Department dispatch channels that covers the city and the county. They're also in the process of or trying to leave the OARS system so things are likely to change soon.

troymail

Silent Key
The only thing not encrypted is the Fire Department dispatch channels that covers the city and the county. They're also in the process of or trying to leave the OARS system so things are likely to change soon.

I just submitted a note to update the system in the database in some way...

However, given I am not there it would be better if someone locally submitted an update to confirm heavy use of encryption for the admins so some future users (and those of us who do what we can to help) don't fall into this same trap.

Reading this again -- wow.... First they had DMR, then went onto this system, and they want to move again? Am I reading that right?

Renetti

Premium Subscriber
I just submitted a note to update the system in the database in some way...

However, given I am not there it would be better if someone locally submitted an update to confirm heavy use of encryption for the admins so some future users (and those of us who do what we can to help) don't fall into this same trap.

Reading this again -- wow.... First they had DMR, then went onto this system, and they want to move again? Am I reading that right?

I will be more than happy to submit the info for you if you like. Just need to know the correct process for doing so

Napsterbater

Considering I was the Baldwin County Fire rescue's radio Tech I can assure you with a high degree of confidence that to this day currently at least until they jump off the OARS system the only thing not encrypted is the Fire Department dispatch channel.

Likely that won't change with the new system but of course it's possible.

if the Meriwether site is even on the air today be able to confirm it with my scanner but it's been off the air for a few days so I don't have reception at my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.