The state of Tennessee Advanced Communications Network (TACN)

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
All discussions related to the State of Tennessee's TROOPNET, especially UNID talkgroups, and tower sites should use this thread. The TVRTS will be a subsystem of this expanding Project 25 TRS, and should be discussed here as well.

Last edited:

Thunderbolt

The Tennessee Dept. of Safety has petitioned the FCC to being testing of their new TROOPNET sites in the Nashville area. Sadly, these new sites will Project 25 Phase II TDMA capable. More details are available on the FCC Web site:

License application

73's

Ron

Last edited:

jimg

Premium Subscriber
The Tennessee Dept. of Safety has petitioned the FCC to being testing of their new TROOPNET sites in the Nashville area. Sadly, these new sites will Project 25 Phase II TDMA capable. More details are available on the FCC Web site:

License application

73's

Ron
Even though these sites are Phase II TDMA "capable" does that mean that is what they will use, or could they use Phase I. Is there any way of finding out?

jimg

Premium Subscriber
How are you getting the information on the P25 phase II? I dont see any info for that on the application.

I sure hope that THP will NOT be using Phase II TDMA, as there are no scanners that will receive this. However, I was concerned before the administrator started this thread,as I noticed in the RadioReference database for the Tennessee Valley Regional Telecommunications System, which I think TROOPNET will be a part of, that two of the talk groups, #3 and #16231, under the Radio Technicians, at the bottom, show a "T" under the mode column which means "TDMA Capable".

jimg

Premium Subscriber

License application

73's

Ron

I am going to try and program this system into my GRE 500, using the frequencies shown on the license, to find out if I can receive any traffic. Should I program it as P25 Auto?

Thunderbolt

How are you getting the information on the P25 phase II? I dont see any info for that on the application.

Under the emission designators area of each frequency:

Action Performed Add Emission Designator 9K80D7W Action Performed Add Emission Designator 8K10F7W

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php?title=Emission_Designator&diff=84114&oldid=84113

This tells you what type of modulation will be used. From what I gather, this system will support Project 25 Phase 1 and Phase 2 modulation.

73's

Ron

Last edited:

vans113

Premium Subscriber
alot of systems in the tenneessee area will be changing soon district 7 is going digital my local pd here in clarksville are going to new systems i heard nashville is getting one also,if they use p25 phase 1 i hope they don't encrypt it. i hear alot of agencies are going to be doing that.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Here is an existing license modification for TEMA 800 MHz sites. They are modifying the emission designator to: 9K80D7W. This is "P25 Phase II fixed-end 2-slot TDMA."

73's

Ron

Thus far I have not heard anything on the Troopnet frequencies I programed into my Uniden 396XT or GRE-500. However, I still receive TEMA traffic on the TVTRS system on both radios, and THP on low-band. So, it appears they have not yet switched over. I hope that GRE and/or Uniden will come out with a new scanner SOON that will receive Phase II TDMA!

CORN

Premium Subscriber
So I guess we're supposed to put our Unid's for the TVRTS here huh? Well here it goes, anyone have any idea which prison uses space capsul names for different wings? Unid TGID 15105 is active and mentions Gemeni and Apollo gates and areas. I am wondering which prison this would be. It's not listed in the database. Thanks.

Thunderbolt

So I guess we're supposed to put our Unid's for the TVRTS here huh?

Yes. Since the TVRTS is being absorbed into Troopnet, it will make things much easier to identify talkgroups, since they will roam freely from each zone. It will be interesting to see if the future Memphis/Shelby County P-25 simulcast system will be a part of this system or not.

73's

Ron

Thunderbolt

The state of Tennessee, has applied for their first VHF-High band Troopnet trunking site. Located in Dover County, near the town of Stewart, this should be the first of many more VHF Phase II TDMA sites to come. More information is available on the FCC Web site:

License Application

73's

Ron

Last edited:

CORN

Premium Subscriber
The state of Tennessee, has applied for their first VHF-High band Troopnet trunking site. Located in Dover County, near the town of Stewart, this should be the first of many more VHF Phase II TDMA sites to come. More information is available on the FCC Web site:

License Application

73's

Ron

I can't quite understand why we're discussing an unmoitorable system here? It seems to me all this is depressing news. The scanner hobby is being snuffed out, at least when it comes to public safety, so I for one wouldn't want to be talking about such depressing news. I mean as far as I know I doñt think any scanner maker out there is even attempting to make a unit that would crack MotoTRBO or this Phase II TDMA garbage. Then you have NEEDLESS encryption, geesh. Such sad times. P25 and digital technology is the worst thing that's happened for the scanner hobbyist.

trumpetman

Database Admin
I can't quite understand why we're discussing an unmoitorable system here? It seems to me all this is depressing news. The scanner hobby is being snuffed out, at least when it comes to public safety, so I for one wouldn't want to be talking about such depressing news. I mean as far as I know I doñt think any scanner maker out there is even attempting to make a unit that would crack MotoTRBO or this Phase II TDMA garbage. Then you have NEEDLESS encryption, geesh. Such sad times. P25 and digital technology is the worst thing that's happened for the scanner hobbyist.

Easy now, the sky isn't falling, take a deep breath. TDMA IS monitorable with software, GRE also just released some beta firmware that supposedly does track true Phase II P25. Just because there's a chance of using encryption on this system doesn't mean everything is going to be locked down. As far as I know, I can count on both hands what systems are P25 and completely encrypted across the country.

Clearly there's enough to discuss here if we're already ~17 posts into this discussion. If all you have to contribute to the discussion is gloom and doom, then that's what it'll become. Let's keep it positive and minimize speculation until we actually see where this system is going, it's still early in it's infancy.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Easy now, the sky isn't falling, take a deep breath. TDMA IS monitorable with software, GRE also just released some beta firmware that supposedly does track true Phase II P25. Just because there's a chance of using encryption on this system doesn't mean everything is going to be locked down. As far as I know, I can count on both hands what systems are P25 and completely encrypted across the country.

Clearly there's enough to discuss here if we're already ~17 posts into this discussion. If all you have to contribute to the discussion is gloom and doom, then that's what it'll become. Let's keep it positive and minimize speculation until we actually see where this system is going, it's still early in it's infancy.

Does this mean that the GRE-800 can now be upgraded to receive TDMA Phase II?