• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Best Recieve Qualities Of Any Reciever New Or Old

Status
Not open for further replies.

microo1234

Looking to buy and get back into CB (why?) I was very involved in the hobby back in late 60's and early 70's. I enjoyed the heck out of it. Had a CB shop back then at a young age. Had many different radios and repaired most of that time. Want your opinions before I purchase. I want the best sensitivity, best signal to noise, and best adjacent channel rejection. I'm also looking for best expandability, both channels and clarifer (if the unit is SSB). Any ideas??? Microo

jaythescanman

it really depends on the radio. Both new and old can be of equal quality, I use a cobra 29 23 channel and a new galaxy dx94hp and the new out does the old as far as sensitivity, but cobra has better clarity with some stations IMHO. Honestly though, no matter what who or where the magic is all in the antenna system.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Looking to buy and get back into CB (why?) I was very involved in the hobby back in late 60's and early 70's. I enjoyed the heck out of it. Had a CB shop back then at a young age. Had many different radios and repaired most of that time. Want your opinions before I purchase. I want the best sensitivity, best signal to noise, and best adjacent channel rejection. I'm also looking for best expandability, both channels and clarifer (if the unit is SSB). Any ideas??? Microo

I'm a little biased against cb in general, but if I ever run across another one of these I'll buy it. This is one of the best performing 11 meter radios out there ( not caring about extra channels) ;)

images

n9zas

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
The best radio in the world won't receive scratch with bad coax and a junk antenna. Start at the top and then work your way down.

There's plenty of discussions on here about coax (LMR, RG-8).. A quick search will yield plenty of info there..

As for antenna, that will depend on what kind of space you have. I'm a big fan of 5/8 wave verticals for local work, and beams for playing DX.

prcguy

In the late 1970s I managed a repair dept of a two way radio store that sold everything from Brownings, to Tram D201, Motorola, etc. The best performing radio I ever encountered was the CPI series, CP-400 and CP-2000. I never got to play with a Stoner Pro but I suspect it would rank near the top of the list.
prcguy

jimbr1

Between my current radios- Uniden 520, Realistic TRC-453, Galaxy DX979 and Magnum 257hp, I like the receive on the Galaxy radio the best- just my opinion.

reedeb

Best receiving was Realistic or even small rigs with 102" steel whip antenna and good coax. May not have been and the "big radio folks" called a REAL radio, BUT I got out OK and could listen better then most.

I preferred listening then yackin anyways. laughed at the retards.

gewecke

Banned
Thanks, I may have to give you a PM since I don't even see them on fleabay. :wink:
( I'd to have hide it from the woman though.)

n9zas

w4wxp

Uniden Grant XL, Cobra 2000/142 GTL.

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
Thanks, I may have to give you a PM since I don't even see them on fleabay. :wink:
( I'd to have hide it from the woman though.)

n9zas

Everything about this post just made me laugh. Im guessing shes not so fond of your ever-growing collection?

JayMojave

Hello Microo1234:

The recivers that have a good IF Filter like a crystal filter, or Collins Mech filter, usually have great selectivity, and sensitivy. The Cats Meow is a good ham rig, I use a Icom 746 that has great IF Filters, and
(DSP) in the IF for more filtering. It allows stations on USB to be significantly attenuated when using LSB.

Bit on a more pratical way, I look for a radio with with a good noise blanker, RF Gain, and (ANL) Automatic Noise Limiter, and hopefully again a Real Crystal Filter in the reciver IF circuit. Being able to turn down the RF gain of the reciver is also a big help in some noisey conditions, and attenuating adjecent channel stations that are loud. Some but now all radios have gone to a FET front end that has a cleaner output that has less noise and such.

Mobiling down the raod while listening without engine, fuel pump, heater motor, ignition module, and alternator noise is a real treat. Again a NB is agood call.

There are DSP Filters out there that go between the radio and speaker, that the advertising says it helps reduce noises.

Hope this helps

Jay in the Mojave

gewecke

Banned
Everything about this post just made me laugh. Im guessing shes not so fond of your ever-growing collection?

Not so ever growing you mean. She wasn't around when the basement was full... :roll:

n9zas

Boombox

I'd always heard that the Cobra 148 had the best 'ears' of any commonly available CB radio, and after I bought one in the late 1980's, I immediately had to agree that it's got an excellent receiver. It was much better than my Uniden or my Realistic models.

How the Cobra 148 would compare to the myriads of other brands out there now, I just don't know.

peterwo2e

here is my story on recivers i had ham equipment on ham and cb since the early 80s, would not touch a cb radio cause most if not all had lousy rejection and i was near the cronx bronx i-95 so rejection was a must for me. but not too long ago i had a chance to bench test a browning 3. had that unique ping etc etc. what drew my attention was the receiver it was clear not bleed over. mmm i switch to my icom 7000 and listen on the same channel,mmm i switch back to the browning and that is all it took to buy this radio, i own it and i love it. i read that the browning receiver stage was the breain child of Mr. drake from drake ham radios! this explains it. the most horrible radio receiver i had ever owned was a 23 channel pace ssb and a horrible bleed box rci ranger 2950. but this is just my opinion.

TheSpaceMan

If you can get your hands on a Uniden HR-2510, you will have an outstanding radio that goes from 26 Mhz to 29 Mhz on AM, FM, and SSB. If you get your ham Tech ticket, you are all set for 10 Meters.

k3cfc

Silent Key
here is my story on recivers i had ham equipment on ham and cb since the early 80s, would not touch a cb radio cause most if not all had lousy rejection and i was near the cronx bronx i-95 so rejection was a must for me. but not too long ago i had a chance to bench test a browning 3. had that unique ping etc etc. what drew my attention was the receiver it was clear not bleed over. mmm i switch to my icom 7000 and listen on the same channel,mmm i switch back to the browning and that is all it took to buy this radio, i own it and i love it. i read that the browning receiver stage was the breain child of Mr. drake from drake ham radios! this explains it. the most horrible radio receiver i had ever owned was a 23 channel pace ssb and a horrible bleed box rci ranger 2950. but this is just my opinion.

There are two parts to change in a RCI 2950 that will take it from a bleed box to a quality radio. i have two of them and wouldn't part with them for the world.

K3CFC

LZ56

Premium Subscriber
There was a radio called the Courier 1M made back in the '60s. It had a triple conversion receiver, that supposedly was spectacular. Also, a radio called the PolyCom Pro had rave reviews.

A friend of mine had a PolyCom (don't remember the exact model). It had the best receiver I ever heard.

TheSpaceMan

A friend of mine had a PolyCom (don't remember the exact model). It had the best receiver I ever heard.
I believe that the the PolyCom 11 Meter radios were built to military specs. They were tube rigs and they came out in the mid through late 1960s. The PolyCom Pro actually had a built in Q-Multiplier in its receive circuitry.

Status
Not open for further replies.