What scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my situation. I am as rookie as rookie could be in the world of scanners. I am currently broadcasting on a BC92XLT. I monitor freqs from 154.000mhz to 460.00mhz. I want to add another public safety agency but they are using a Motorola Type II Smartnet analog system. I would like to upgrade but my pockets are not that deep...lol. What type of scanner would I need? Does not need to be portable. Thanks in advance and please excuse any misuse of terms....

Scott

AC9BX

Portable or table-top is a matter of preference.
I'd recommend a scanner as "future proof" as you can get. That is, get one that can tune as much as is presently available. The reason is as soon as you get a scanner for that particular analog system someone else you like to monitor will switch to P25 digital or something. The Radio Shack Pro197 and 106 are about as modern as can be had and are competitively priced, especially when on sale, compared to anything else in the market.
You can certainly save some money and get an analog only trunking scanner for that agency in particular. There's nothing wrong with that. But be warned you would be buying a radio that is already obsolete.

morrisr3nd

Just kind of taking it all in
Premium Subscriber
Unless I am looking at this wrong, you appear to be in Russel county. From what I can tell, there aren't any Trunked systems in that area and I don't see any Motorola Type II Smartnet.

Depending if your area is planning on going digital or trunking system in the future, the Radio Shack Pro-163 or 164 will do a really good job. I have both of these scanners and they handle regular analog and trunked systems very well. They just want receive digital. If you go digital, the PRO-106, 197 do excellent. The 106 is the one that I use to travel with along with my PSR-800. Here is the link for your area and what frequencies are there.

Russell County, Alabama (AL) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Status
Not open for further replies.