whats going on with scdnr

Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone know whats up with dnr i live within the range of the peedee tower and sumter and gtown but i havent heard hardly any radio traffic on them in quite awhile except on the peedee tower i keep hearing some garbled digital transmissons like its not all the way in range it almost sounds like a really weak digital signal if anyone knows why this is let me know

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
I recently talked to a DNR officer this summer and he said that they use their cell phones mostly, then their VHF radios when there is no cell signal, Some do have the 800 radios but that's mostly sergeants and higher. He said that budget cuts have really hit the SCDNR badly.

CCSPRINGS

Premium Subscriber
What happened to dnr

i found that on the Aynor, Georgetown, and peedee towers thay have removed the DCS codes and are back to CSQ. i made those changes in my xts 5000 and now i am hearing there little chatter here and there.

Hardrock40

They call Columbia from a Cesar's Head tower here in the upstate. Not much traffic. Some hunting related and in the summer you hear more while they are on the lakes.
One of those are active, can I post them here?

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I can confirm that DPL tones have changed on SC DNR repeaters in the upstate, and I assume they have changed state-wide. I updated the tones for Caesars Head, Spartanburg, Oconee and Rock Hill with confirmed tones. Not sure why all of the Piedmont repeaters show they have changed (showing green in the database) - I only changed those 4 listings.

I suspect there is a pattern to the tone assignments. If anyone can post confirmed tones from a few repeaters in other parts of the state, I can confirm the pattern and change all repeater listings.

CCSPRINGS

Premium Subscriber
Scdnr

I have found that the new DCS codes for Georgetown, and Aynor towers. (For SCDNR)

Aynor Tower DCS 612
Georgetown Tower DCS 662

Just a little new FYI I thought I would pass along.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I went ahead and changed DPL tones for SC DNR's repeaters in the database. If anyone finds these to be in error, please let me know. Thanks to Calvin for confirming a couple more tones- I feel confident most if not all of the changes are correct.

cobra

Premium Subscriber
Has dnr gone encrypted on some sites ?

On the Santee DNR repeater, 151.325, I hear analog traffic and some encrypted voice. I have had no luck trying to hear anything on standard P-25 radios, so I assume that they are using a different baud rate maybe. Has anyone had any luck with this ? Also, Little Mountain site, 151.16 has started doing the same. Does anyone know what the buzz saw sounds are on these channels?

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
SCDNR has almost completely gone to motrtrbo (I believe thats how its spelled).

cobra

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Barry008, you might be correct, but after some signal analysis I believe that they are using a single channel P25, phase 1 system with IMBE vocoding, and C4FM modulation. Their NAC's are 218, 208, and 258, This kind of system allows both analog and digital voice usage. I would love to know if anyone can copy the digital voice signals with computer software running in conjunction with an ordinary scanner. I think that a Motorola Astro II radio is required to monitor the traffic, but perhaps there is another way.

KE4SZT

Is it possible their using Phase 2? I notice they only use analog when talking to Columbia and occasionally unit to unit. I recently heard a unit say go to a channel in the 40 range, which was the exact same frequency only digital instead of analog. Saw an officer the other day from a distance and it looked like he had an XTS5000, so its prob not mototrobo.

trumpetman

Database Admin
P25 Phase II is for trunking only, the standard for conventional Phase II (to my knowledge) isn't a thing yet. Not sure why as TDMA conventional works just as fine in MOTOTRBO.

Last time I saw SCDNR equipment was about a year ago; they were carrying XTS5000s, APX7500s, and had Quantars in use as repeaters.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I was in the Orangeburg area over the weekend, near Santee/Lake Marion. Nothing but digital transmissions on the SCDNR Santee repeater. But my PSR-800 couldn't receive any of it in the clear. I don't think it's encrypted - it showed a NAC (218, I think) and the radio didn't mute like an encrypted talkgroup on a trunked system. Maybe that's normal for an encrypted P25 conventional channel.

But on the way back to the upstate I heard plenty of analog voice on Little Mountain, Caesars Head and Spartanburg repeaters. I agree that it is very unlikely to be MotoTRBO.

cobra

Premium Subscriber
BRIAN, You have been hearing what I have been hearing for the last year on Santee and Georgetown repeaters. Some analog voice, but more lately P25-phase 1, which is NOT trunking, but needs some sort of decoding (not decrypting) that no scanner by itself can render. That is why I ask whether anyone has any info as to what can be done to monitor the voice conversations.

Status
Not open for further replies.