Unitrunker and Bell Fleetnet Zone 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tilt404

Premium Subscriber
This might belong in the trunking software forum but I thought someone here would be more familiar with getting it running with the local Bell Fleetnet system. I've been trying for an hour or more but it won't work. Won't download what I need from RR. I put in most of it by hand like the frequencies for Essex under the channels, but I don't know the LCNs. It has a wrong control channel in the sites part and won't let me edit it. Has 142.500. I put in the system ID of 782D and SID from RR of 861 for the Essex site but still won't download properly and could use some guidance?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
My advice would be to check out TRUNK88. I think most of the guys on here prefer it to Unitrunker and the support is awesome.

tilt404

Premium Subscriber
Ok, will do. Got frustrated so gave up. Kept importing the wrong stuff. Works well with my local P25 system though.

tilt404

Premium Subscriber
I have a GRE PSR800 which is new. Looked at Pro96com the other day but didn't follow through with it yet. Will try soon. Info overload today and my eyes are killing me with this tiny laptop. Need a larger display, soon...

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
It just sucks that you have to tie up your new scanner to run PRO96COM, otherwise I agree... very nice program.

Tilt: If you decide you want to give Trunk88 a try I can send you my configuration file..T88 is very descriptive of all the system events that are happening, and will run on an antique of a pc. The one think I do like about UT is the ability to visually see all your groups and IDs at once, and the point and click ability.

tilt404

Premium Subscriber
that would be great if you could forts, maybe message me on here and will give you my email. I just ran it but couldn't get it to do anything. Need to read the txt files i guess. if you have the config for fleetnet that would be great. many thanks

mciupa

Trunk88 is great. I like the alert tones that notify you of exceptional activity on the site.

You may have to tweak the the talkgroup settings from the default if you prefer decimal display. Nevertheless, you'll learn a lot about what ever you are monitoring with all of the status messages.

Slicerwizard is a rockstar :D

tilt404

Premium Subscriber
still having trouble with just getting it going. don't see anything on the screen. just keeps flashing framing and stuff on the side of the window. really confusing since menus are not really that visible. ugh. its reading the scanner ok. kind of, shows activity. has some avg acc thing at the top that says 4.8%, nl 99 dl 0. read the read me but still even more lost than i was on unitrunker.

tilt404

Premium Subscriber
I'm just suffering from trying to learn too much too fast lately. So I will try to slow down. Unitrunker works great for me on the local P25 system and RCMP. So will leave it for that. For Kelcom and Fleetnet I will try to get Trunk88 or Pro96com working in the future for those two systems.

After so many years of just clicking a button on software and having RR trunk info sent to the scanner, its a bit hard to remember how these trunk systems work and finding the LCN's and stuff. Along with all the new technology in use now as well when it comes to these systems. Patience, I have to keep telling myself.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Let me see if I can help you out....

How is your hardware currently setup? Tapped scanner feeding into the onboard audio in your PC?

For Trunk88 try this.... Unzip the program into a folder and run Trunk88.exe. If you have more than one audio device, it should start up and list the available audio devices in your machine and ask you to chose which one you want to chose. If there is only one audio device the program should just launch. Once it's running, look at the right side of the screen... you should see a bunch of numbers scrolling from top to bottom, or it might just say -Framing- and -Bad-. If you are seeing that, then the program isn't seeing the audio stream from the radio.

When it's running properly you should see something like this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Make sure you check out the readme that comes in the trunk88 archive as well... there is lots of good info there on how to get up and running. Once you have it configured and seeing the data you should be able to just drag my 782d.ctl file into your folder and be off to the races.

tilt404

Premium Subscriber
That would be great if you could for fleetnet. Setting up trunker88 seems a bit hard for me for some reason. Still haven't spent enough time on it though. I just tried PRO96COM and that was a breeze. Just told it what scanner I was using, my com port and I was up and scanning the local P25 system. Shows more info than unitrunker like a log of patches, where on unitrunker they disappear once they are patched. Also affiliations like trunker. Easier to read too. I'll have to try and see if it will work with fleetnet later tonight.

I did drag your files to the folder, but still didn't work. I'm using the GRE PSR800 with its usb cable on com port 7 and the audio cable from the headphone jack to the line in on my laptop. I did read the read me files and other files, but was getting tired last night so will look at it again today. Glad pro96com is working well now though and easy. Less windows, like unitrunker. So works better on my small display too.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I rather like PRO96COM as well, I just don't like that I have to tie up my digital scanner to feed it. If it worked with a regular discriminator input it would be great.

tilt404

Premium Subscriber
I think pro96com is what I will stay with. Very easy to use. Not sure what you mean about tie up though since I have to do that with any software I use. I guess its just how the PSR800 works though. Has to be locked on the system and can't do anything else while the software is running.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
With UniTrunker or Trunk88 you can feed them discriminator audio from any old scanner you might have laying around. I'm currently using a Motorola Maxtrac that I got from eBay for $20 feeding UT, and an old Uniden 16 channel handheld that I got at a yard sale ($5) to feed Trunk88. No need to tie up my $400 digital scanner. But, the best part is... since the digital scanner is free to use, you can actually listen to what you are seeing on the screen at the same time :)

tilt404

Premium Subscriber
Ah ok, I understand, but I would need another digital to follow what I'm listening here. I hope to get the uniden bcd996xt by the end of the year. Will still use the PSR800 with software but use the Uniden to listen, or the other way around.

Just tried pro96com with fleetnet and doesn't seem to work. Won't decode. Not sure why other systems work so well.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
You don't need a digital scanner to drive UniTrunker or Trunk88... any old analog radio will do. You only need a newer digital radio to drive PRO96COM. And, as you have found out... PRO96COM does not work with 3600 baud systems like Fleetnet. Only true, 9600 baud P25 systems like RCMP, Windsor and MPSCS over in Michigan.

tilt404

Premium Subscriber
I just mean if I want to use the software to monitor the P25 system, it will need to be a digital scanner. But I know what you mean about using a non-digital one if I want to monitor another non digital system. Thanks for telling me about why it doesn't work. Just tried with kelcom too and no luck. Oh well. Not as interested in fleetnet, but would be nice if it worked. I will try to get that one going with trunk88 one day soon.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I've never tried UniTrunker with an LTR system... really not sure how that works. Not much left LTR wise in the London area anymore, everything switched to MotoTRBO or NXDN digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.