• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Monitoring Trunked System

Status
Not open for further replies.

motoguy

There is a bit of confusion when I read "monitoring a trunked system". If I program a conventional personality to a frequency the control channel may chose, is this monitoring a trunked system.

Can you simply scan receive only personality's, each programmed with the system's frequencies (less the control channel) to eliminate any affiliation. I suppose then you lose talkgroups? Or, at worst can the radio still be instructed to affiliate upon remote command.

Thanks

RBMTS

Hello Motoguy
Welcome to Radio Reference.

You can listen to a trunked radio system in conventional mode but it will be very difficult. It the system were very small (say a 5 to 10 channel system for town or county), then you can program in the frequencies in conventional personalities and then scan the channels (locking out the data control channel). However depending on the traffic activity of the talk groups, you will not be able to reliably track a talk group conversation during peak radio traffic times due to all the other activity on the system. IF the system is large encompassing a large area with multi-jurisdictional users (multiple towns, counties, or statewide), it will be next to impossible to listen to the system. First reason being that you'd need to program in too many frequencies to track and your XTS will only scan 12 channels at a time (I believe is the maximum allowed in a scan list). Second reason being that there would be literally dozens of conversations going on at any given time. So you will quickly find that trying to listen to a trunk system in a conventional mode will be frustrating and not effective.

To answer your other question, programming in the frequencies of a trunk system into conventional modes to attempt listening will not perform an affiliation. The affiliation only occurs when the radio is programmed specifically for a trunking system utilizing all of the parameters required to access that system.

As stated in many other topic threads, get yourself a trunking scanner. It will be much easier to listen to system and you will enjoy it much more.

Hope this helps you.

motoguy

Randy, That answers my question inside and out, thank you very much.

The only reason I asked is I got my hands on a free "written off" XTS 3000 to play with at work. We have 5000s with a service contract that I would never use off our system.

I soon discovered that entering a correct network ID enabled me to listen on other systems. I was monitoring a trunked system for a couple days like I asked about. I then became curious if a "generic" ID would allow more access to the talkgroups I was hearing. Before I even bothered with that I decided to plug that "generic" ID in on one of our channels and simply key up a radio too see if we were "vulernable". Long story short, as I was programing the radio a dozen times I got sloppy/impatient and either bumped the cable or closed CPS when it was "locked up". I corrupted the codeplug. In my weak attempts to fix this issue using MTSX Lab, I made things wrose, overwrote everything to the point the radio barley does much except hold papers on the desk. I somehow managed to dump an entirely wrong codeplug in for a UHF 3000, moreso it changed the Flashcode and system package (the only values I can read from the radio). I cant even read it without unpacking without a "No ACK/NAK" error. That's my story, I think its toast.

In terms of scanners there doesn't seem to be much choice between 2 portables. Seems like I have one option the Bearcat BCD396XT. Hard to justify when I had something for free that did a wonderful job even with its limited capability. The area isn't too overloaded with conversations, I got almost everything.

Thanks again

cabletech

Everyone one of us learned the hard way some where about programing and working on radios. It is to bad you got your shot on that expenseive of a radio.

Good luck

motoguy

Reflecting back I think what has happened now is I wrote a MTS2000 code plug to the radio, internal and external. What im guessing is it thinks its another radio, and that loud error tone is the fingerprint mismatch. Is there a way of erasing the code plug from the radio? I'm not sure that the radio would even accept a good code plug due to the Request not ACKed/NAKed error.

Status
Not open for further replies.