Help a newb fine tune?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon11482

Hello,

I just got a RadioShack pro-106... I've tuned in a bank for Detroit, and Livonia. My question is how do I lockout certain talkgroups that I do not want to hear? And 2, what's the best way to hear Livonia PD? I'm about 20 miles from Livonia but I have family there so I'd like to hear Livonia traffic if possible, currently for Livonia PD dispatch I only get static.

Thanks for the help. Sorry for the newb questions I've been reading all I can on here and the manual(s) but I'm still unclear.

kf4sek

Hello,

I just got a RadioShack pro-106... I've tuned in a bank for Detroit, and Livonia. My question is how do I lockout certain talkgroups that I do not want to hear?

When the scanner stops on the talkgroup you don't want to hear while scanning, hit the F1 key. It locks out the talkgroup.

And 2, what's the best way to hear Livonia PD? I'm about 20 miles from Livonia but I have family there so I'd like to hear Livonia traffic if possible, currently for Livonia PD dispatch I only get static.
My suggestion is to get an 800MHz antenna, possibly from RadioShack, and use that. If that doesn't help, maybe an external antenna... Try the 800MHz duck from RadioShack first, though. It may be all you need.

I hope that helps!

brandon11482

When the scanner stops on the talkgroup you don't want to hear while scanning, hit the F1 key. It locks out the talkgroup.

My suggestion is to get an 800MHz antenna, possibly from RadioShack, and use that. If that doesn't help, maybe an external antenna... Try the 800MHz duck from RadioShack first, though. It may be all you need.

I hope that helps!

Thanks! What am I doing wrong though because now when I hit F1 I don't see the TGL/o option.... I know I saw it before??

KD8FSJ

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I just got a RadioShack pro-106... I've tuned in a bank for Detroit, and Livonia. My question is how do I lockout certain talkgroups that I do not want to hear? And 2, what's the best way to hear Livonia PD? I'm about 20 miles from Livonia but I have family there so I'd like to hear Livonia traffic if possible, currently for Livonia PD dispatch I only get static.

Thanks for the help. Sorry for the newb questions I've been reading all I can on here and the manual(s) but I'm still unclear.

If you are only looking to listen to certain talkgroups then just program those talkgroups and set the scanner to closed scan. This works well if you already know what you want to hear.

Livonia Police is all encrypted.

Paul

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Lock out unwanted groups.

If I am not mistaken, the F1 key is used to lock out unwanted frequencies or groups in Search mode. Use the L/OUT key during regular scanning.

brandon11482

If I am not mistaken, the F1 key is used to lock out unwanted frequencies or groups in Search mode. Use the L/OUT key during regular scanning.

Thanks.

Can someone shed some light possibly on why even when I'm listening to a talkgroup (P25Auto.., trunked Detroit PD..) with very good signal I get "dropouts" Like someone will be transmitting giving person/car details and every other say... 4th word cuts out so I miss important details like the car make or model... or details on the perp etc.

Thanks in advance.

KD8FSJ

Premium Subscriber
Thanks.

Can someone shed some light possibly on why even when I'm listening to a talkgroup (P25Auto.., trunked Detroit PD..) with very good signal I get "dropouts" Like someone will be transmitting giving person/car details and every other say... 4th word cuts out so I miss important details like the car make or model... or details on the perp etc.

Thanks in advance.

All scanners have difficulty with the simulcast systems. Some do better than others. You could try moving the scanner, different antenna setups and even the ATT. At my location the simple stock antenna does a much better job on the simulcast systems than the expensive yagi antennas.

Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.