Lane County Sheriff going encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcluster

Received info that Lane County Sheriff is planning to go 100% encrypted on the trunk system soon. Source didn't have an exact date but said that they have been briefed about the change.

VHF SAR channels will remain in the clear.

Springfield PD has been all encrypted since they moved onto the trunked system. My source didn't have info about Eugene PD but it wouldn't surprise me if they switch over also.

Disappointing......

Baker845

I think all of this encrypted stuff is over Kill. I did read that there is new state law stated that Info/data channels needed to be encrypted. If Lane So and Springfield PD and others want Keep people that follow the law from hearing there radio traffic, they should look to other ways of funding there depts, and shouldn't be asking tax payers to pay for police service we all ready pay for anyways.

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
That's dumb. The way they are now is just fine. If there is sensitive info, the dispatcher will say switch to channel 2 (since its secure).

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
Just heard clear P25 traffic on LCSO Roman Nose 453.4500 NAC 160. I wonder if the others have switched as well.

rcluster

Maybe I'm not understanding this but.....since this is a trunked system with some talkgroups encrypted and some talkgroups in the clear, doesn't the entire system have to be in mixed mode all the time? And would have been since day 1 ?

jeremym70

I believe what Oregon Scanner was saying was that Lane County has a conventional repeater on Roman Nose Mt that he is hearing both analog and digital conversations on. It may or may not be patched into a Lane County digital trunked talkgroup.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
I believe what Oregon Scanner was saying was that Lane County has a conventional repeater on Roman Nose Mt that he is hearing both analog and digital conversations on. It may or may not be patched into a Lane County digital trunked talkgroup.

Could be a fallback setup, just in case..

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
Lane County Sheriff has several UHF conventional repeaters that are used as fill in for where the trunked system has poor coverage. LCSO in Western Lane County does not use the trunk system even though there is a trunked site there. Normally these repeaters operate in analog mode but they are licensed for digital. This is the first time I have heard digital on any of them though.

Here are the UHF conventional repeaters:
460.2750 [167.9 PL] LCSO 1 West - Florence Area
453.4500 [173.8 PL] LCSO Roman Nose - Linked with 1 West
453.4500 [160 NAC] LCSO Roman Nose Digital - Linked with 1 West
460.2250 [173.8 PL] LCSO Coburg Ridge - Linked with 1 West
453.6875 [162.2 PL] LCSO Harness Mtn - Linked with 1 West

460.1750 [151.4 PL] LCSO 3 Baker - Second Repeater on Roman Nose
460.6000 [167.9 PL] LCSO 3 North - Cape Perpetua
460.4250 [162.2 PL] LCSO 2 Charlie - Prairie Peak

LCSO units will switch to the VHF SAR freq where the UHF conventional fill-in repeaters don't get out either. There are also some conventional freqs licensed for the east part of the county but I've never confirmed them.

Last edited:

rcluster

Looks like all mobile units on LCSO Ch 1 (on the UHF trunked system) are now encrypted. Dispatch is still in the clear but I doubt that will last long.

Crap

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
I went through Eugene today and the LCSO Dispatch talkgroup was fully encrypted. However I did hear clear P25 both mobiles and portables on the Roman Nose, Coburg Ridge, and Harness Mtn linked repeaters rebroadcasting traffic from 1 West in Florence.

Status
Not open for further replies.