• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR-6550 vs. XPR-7550

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonzalu

Can someone please help me decide between these two radios?

What are the differences and what are the pro's and cons? I would like to use on standard amateur UHF bands on simplex and repeater offset as well as get started with DMR nets.

Thanks for your input..

rapidcharger

I think the biggest and most obvious differences is the 7 has a bigger display and full color, has more channels ( a lot more but probably way more than you'll ever need on the ham band) , higher capacity batteries, it meets more military specifications, the radio itself is bigger and looks more like a real radio in my opinion and it has some other features you probably wont ever use like enhanced privacy.

gonzalu

Thank you... yes the screen of course was an obvious one :) So I was really interested in the other points you made. From what I see on-line, I always thought the 6550 was larger and more rugged... go figure. I am surprised Motorola, with all it's 1,000,000,000,000 web pages does not have a decent comparison grid!! ugh...

The two radios seem to be similarly priced...

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
One thing to keep in mind about the new series TRBO radios (7550, 3500, etc.) is that they use a new proprietary antenna connector that isn't compatible with anything else, and the antenna selection for the new radios is so far quite limited.

N4KVE

One thing to keep in mind about the new series TRBO radios (7550, 3500, etc.) is that they use a new proprietary antenna connector that isn't compatible with anything else, and the antenna selection for the new radios is so far quite limited.
This is a big problem in my case, & the reason I'll never own the 7550. If you will never need to connect a 7550 to an external mobile antenna, then get it. But the 6550 uses the common SMA connecter, & there is a common $1 adapter to connect the 6550 to a mobile antenna. I wonder if is possible to swap a 6550 antenna jack into the 7550 radio. Years ago the Icom 04AT used the bnc antenna, but the more desirable U-16 used a TNC connecter. It was a 10 minute job to install a bnc connecter into the U-16 there by having my cake & eating it too. So to the OP, the decision revolves around the antenna situation.

gonzalu

Yeah, thanks for clearing up the antenna situation. I heard about that but wasn't sure what it meant exactly...

com501

It is NOT possible to switch jacks between a 7550 and a 6550. If you need an external antenna, buy a mobile.

gonzalu

It is NOT possible to switch jacks between a 7550 and a 6550. If you need an external antenna, buy a mobile.

I plan to use it as a Walkie Talkie with built in antenna, so it may not matter as much to me :)

Motorola has alternative antenna models to chose from and I bet at some point someone may develop an adapter

N4KVE

I do have a 4550 mobile in my car. However my good friend just leased a Mercedes, & the leasing company will not allow him to drill any holes to install a mobile radio in the car. However, they will allow him to use a roof top magnetic antenna on the vehicle. So he needs to be able to connect his 7550 to the roof top antenna when he's far from the repeater. Had he known about the antenna situation, he would not have sold his 6550 to get the 7550. And his 5550 mobile sits in the garage because he can't install it in the new vehicle.

gonzalu

Does anyone have closeup pictures of the actual connector? I have searched high and low and can;t find one. I just asked our sales rep for our mobile radios here at work to see if he can get me a demo unit to play with :)

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
I do have a 4550 mobile in my car. However my good friend just leased a Mercedes, & the leasing company will not allow him to drill any holes to install a mobile radio in the car. However, they will allow him to use a roof top magnetic antenna on the vehicle. So he needs to be able to connect his 7550 to the roof top antenna when he's far from the repeater. Had he known about the antenna situation, he would not have sold his 6550 to get the 7550. And his 5550 mobile sits in the garage because he can't install it in the new vehicle.

A quick google search seems to show that Motorola does have a BNC adapter available for the new connector. It is the "SMA TO BNC ADAPTER-REWORKED" (part # 5880348B33), and is available from MOL for $40.

k3td

Gary, I have leased several vehicles and always used NMO 3/4" hole mounts with mine. The leasing companies never said a word, they consider any dent, scratch or other damage - including a hole - smaller than a credit card to be 'normal wear and tear'.

N4KVE

They actually did allow him to mount an antenna, but they were dead against drilling any holes in the interior to mount the mobile radio. Since he's usually in HT range of the repeater, & would rarely need an external antenna, he decided a mag mount would be good for the few times he'd need it. But I will forward the antenna adapter # to him. Actually, I won't as that's just a normal SMA/BNC adapter that is sold for $42. I get them for $1 at most hamfests.

Last edited:

k3td

Yeah, they have cables, sensors, etc hidden all over the interior of new vehicles. Too bad, I wonder if the local Motorola MSS or GE/Ericsson/Harris shop could help him out?

com501

The 7550 DOES NOT use an SMA connector. The THREADS are the same, and you can screw one in, if you prefer the outside shield of the SMA to be the radiating source.

The only Moto adapter I can find in a sales book for the 7550 is two pieces for service work, and its a few hundred bucks. I won't buy one.

W2NJS

A friend of mine has a 7550. As I recall, the antenna connector on the radio most closely resembles the old Saber single-pole antenna connector.. Not the same thing, obviously, but would remind you of the Saber setup.

But even on the old Sabers you could still get a two-pole external antenna connection on the radio via the connection plate on the back which was used by the 5487 SVA to run an external antenna, but I don't know if such an aux antenna connection is available on the 7550.

I guess Motorola just wanted the 7550 to have an antenna connection that would stand up to rough use, and the SMAs are noted, at least to some extent, to have a low MTBF.

N4KVE

I actually have a Saber antenna adapter that screws into the ant jack. It looks just like the SMA adapter, but it's solid metal, & there is no center pin. I got it years ago, & have never seen another one. I tried it in the 7550, but the threads were different. Bummer.

rc50won

Premium Subscriber
The stock antenna covers 380-512mhz and is quite long. A better antenna is the 440-490mhz model which is just shy of 4" long and has better gain. This is the one I use.

There currently is no way to connect an external antenna to this radio. The RF port, located at top rear under a plastic cover, was designed for test purposes only and will not tolerate the stresses of an external cable. The /\/\ adapter for the RF test port cost around $300 and is made up of two parts.

I have owned both radios and their are pluses and minuses.

+Better battery life - almost 2X
+Works with SMA-whatever adapter for external antenna
+Cheaper
-Will not be able to take advantage of the new functionality found in the 7000 model firmware with release 2.2
-Small display

+Full size color display
+Works with the new functionality in upcoming 2.2 firmware
+Better ergonomics
+Better receiver performance
+One model covers both Low and High UHF bands
-Ships narrow banded only so you have to purchase CPS $265 and get the Entitlement ID for wide band
-No external antenna capability
-Lower battery life

Marshall

gonzalu

Thanks Marshall.

Question, will I be able to program my Ham 70cm repeater/offsets and also the DMR ham nets in digital mode at the same time and go between them?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.