West Island Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekcap

Hello,

I'm new to the whole scanner scene so please bear with me.
As my first scanner, I decided to buy the uniden bc346xt.
Everything is coming along slowly but surely.

I programmed the SPVM police frequencies in and everything seems to be working. What I did notice was that all of the action is taking place in and around the downtown area of Montreal. Why is it that I can't hear anything going on in the West Island? I have the "West" section programmed into my scanner, but there seems to be nothing in my area. Do the police use another method of transmission around here? I assumed that I would be able to pick up everything going on here.

This doesn't change the fact that I'm very happy with my purchase, but I just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Feel free to reply in French :)

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Why is it that I can't hear anything going on in the West Island? I have the "West" section programmed into my scanner, but there seems to be nothing in my area. Do the police use another method of transmission around here? I assumed that I would be able to pick up everything going on here.

I hate to break it to you but you are hearing everything going on on the West Island. It's just that nothing much goes on. Even when I was a kid, 11 and 12 were quiet. If you wanted action, you listened to 25 and 33.

I assume you "Know Your PDQs" so you know who's talking:

SPVM - Bottin des PDQ

tekcap

I mistakenly thought that police would also be communicating on the radio for trivial things, such as stop sign infractions, speeding, etc, but I guess it's all done by computer.

I'm curious about something else actually, if I sign sign up for a premium account, will I have access to member only frequencies for Montreal? Random ones that may not be listed on the site?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
II'm curious about something else actually, if I sign sign up for a premium account, will I have access to member only frequencies for Montreal? Random ones that may not be listed on the site?

There are no member only frequencies. Everybody gets the same frequencies whether they're a premium member or not.

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada
I mistakenly thought that police would also be communicating on the radio for trivial things, such as stop sign infractions, speeding, etc, but I guess it's all done by computer.

I'm curious about something else actually, if I sign sign up for a premium account, will I have access to member only frequencies for Montreal? Random ones that may not be listed on the site?

Welcome/ Bienvenue to the group..
Those old "Routine" calls aren't usually given VOCAL on the radio..they are on the TERMINAL (MDT) all emergency calls Priority 1 & 2 are always given on the radio. I am in Pierrefonds and i hear alot of action from PDQ 1-3-5 & 8. DDO PDQ 4 i find quiet.
If you need any help..just send me a private message on here

VORTAC

Database Admin
Sometimes, they having problems with the repeater. At that point, they change the channel temporarily. Currently, the frequency 410.1125 MHz works very well.

tekcap

Those old "Routine" calls aren't usually given VOCAL on the radio..they are on the TERMINAL (MDT) all emergency calls Priority 1 & 2 are always given on the radio. I am in Pierrefonds and i hear alot of action from PDQ 1-3-5 & 8. DDO PDQ 4 i find quiet.
If you need any help..just send me a private message on here

I'm starting to slowly memorise the PDQ's in the west island, and I think I will set 410.1125 to priority.

Random questions for anyone who is willing to answer.

1) My close call feature is finding me a lot of really noisy motor channels... what are these?

I think I'm going to sign up for premium out of sheer laziness. Programming all those MTL channels one by one will be too long.

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada
I'm starting to slowly memorise the PDQ's in the west island, and I think I will set 410.1125 to priority.

Random questions for anyone who is willing to answer.

1) My close call feature is finding me a lot of really noisy motor channels... what are these?

I think I'm going to sign up for premium out of sheer laziness. Programming all those MTL channels one by one will be too long.

By motor sounds i am assuming you are control channel / repeater sounds.
For me i would recommend turning off the close call feature.. that is only good for locating new freqs/transmissions at a specfic time. Otherwise everytime it picks up any signal in the area.. could be baby mobitor..passing taxi..FRS radios..wireless transmitters. Etc.
Just a waste of time to let it run all the time.
Where in west island are you in?
And for downloading from the radioreference site.. what scanner software are you using to program the BC346?

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Those old "Routine" calls aren't usually given VOCAL on the radio..they are on the TERMINAL (MDT)

Oh, right. MDTs. Forgot about that.

Why, I remember, back in the day, when the radios were steam powered ...

(but I really do remember when most stuff on the WI was on 154.800 but not all - "WT" traffic was 412.6875 ...)

Status
Not open for further replies.