Kenwood tmv71a frequency mod 480 MHz tx

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Even if you can get it to transmit up to 480MHz will it be happy doing it, as power will drop very fast once you leave the ham band. I suggest getting a properly designed commercial radio to operate in commercial spectrum, NOT ham gear.

Last edited:

RBMTS

Based on information from the other various sites, the 71a will not transmit above 470Mhz. The VCO is just not capable of doing that even with the MARS/CAP modification. Hope this helps you.

LtDoc

Two replies are not always 'gospel', but sometimes they are. Don't know what to believe? Research it for your self then you decide. In this case those two posts were 'gospel', just can't do it, sorry.
- 'Doc

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I'll make it three...

These are great radios. I'm happy they work on GMRS with the MARS mod. Even on 460MHz power is down to 40 watts or so with a good swr reading. I haven't put one on a service monitor to see what it does receive wise on 460MHz but I'll bet there is some compromise using it out of band. 480MHz is a major stretch. You're talking 30MHz outside the designed original operating band. Most modified commercial radios will only go 10 MHz before performance starts to fall off. Even if you were to do some hardware modifications to make it to 480MHz or above you would likely loose the 440 Ham band as a result and the radio would probably need a full alighnment with a modified procedure to account for the upward shift in range. I'd be happy with what you got and get a comercial radio for 480MHz, they're easy enough to find. Make some room for it.

cabletech

I have a TMV 71A on the bench and after a lot of testing and confermation with a senior tech at Kenwood, this radio will not transmit above 470mz even with the MARS/CAP mod as it is designed as an Amateur radio for use in the USA.

Also, if you really need a radio that will do what you want, then you are going to have to look at the newer very expenceive commical radios from Motorola or Harris to do this.

Here in the USA, 480mz is used by TV broadcasters and is off limits for private use.

K4APR

The only reason I even opened up this thread to read it was because I just recently purchased a V71A for my new Jeep and I would like to open it up for extended transmit. Having said that, in general, the VCO's on these amateur transceivers will really only stretch about 8-10 MHz in either direction. Even at that, the power goes way down and you might even get some nasty harmonics as a result of it being way out of it's intended pass bandwidth.

cabletech

You say you are in Australia, if you try to pick up ANY dual band radio that is normally marketed in the USA as a dual band Ameture radio, then you will never be able to do what you are looking to do.

As stated above, the 480mz band is used by TV broadcast in the USA.

All dual band Ameture radios that I have seen have been a real wrok to get then to transmit up to 468.000mz and then they go total dumm above that.

You need to look at the radios that are made for your area.

Good Luck

wayne43pw186

Thanks everyone , we have found what we are looking for, the radio is from china and it does 40 watts on 480 MHz and a dual bander.
The radio is a anytone at588 v/u, good on ya china.

Cheers
Wayne

Buttabean

Dual Band?

Thanks everyone , we have found what we are looking for, the radio is from china and it does 40 watts on 480 MHz and a dual bander.
The radio is a anytone at588 v/u, good on ya china.

Cheers
Wayne

Have u purchased this radio yet cause it isnt a dual band? It is listed as a: "Anytone AT 588 mobile radio, and it is not a dual band radio. if you like the dual band radio, you can choose BAOJIE BJ-UV55 OR Anytone AT-588UV OR WOUXUN UV920R." I was looking to buy a cheap Dual Band mobile to use as a base & tha only one i found to do it was the TC-VU55 from china but after reading the review on eham about it im not gonna waste my money on it. I thought the anytone at588 was a dual band also but its not. U gotta specify which band u want it for when u order it. But have u bought this yet by chance?

W2NJS

More than thirty years ago Kenwood's ham radios in VHF and UHF were well known for their designed-in lack of operation outside the ham bands. I had a matched set consisting of a 201 and a 401 in my car at the time and I guarantee you that all they did was 144-148 and 420-450, period. It was much later that the more flexible tuning radios began to appear.

N4KVE

The nice thing about these older radios was they didn't receive intermod. In 91 I was staying in NYC, & had a Kenwood 731. Not one chirp the whole summer I was there.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Just because most people speed doesn't mean it is legal or should be done. Same as illegally transmitting on a modified radio. Might come back to bite you in the rear as it has with a number of truckers illegally using modified amateur radio equipment in Canada. And in Canada, these truckers continually are on frequencies they are not licensed for and are interfering with EMS comms..

Last edited:

MrQ

You say you are in Australia, if you try to pick up ANY dual band radio that is normally marketed in the USA as a dual band Ameture radio, then you will never be able to do what you are looking to do.

As stated above, the 480mz band is used by TV broadcast in the USA.

All dual band Ameture radios that I have seen have been a real wrok to get then to transmit up to 468.000mz and then they go total dumm above that.

You need to look at the radios that are made for your area.

Good Luck

Many years ago the FCC allowed several major city areas to use the first few "channel" slots ( chs.14-16) for public safety ops. For example, Boston uses this freq band as well as surrounding communities on a network that allows all surrounding cities to Boston to be linked for intercity ops (PD only). I believe this was allowed because years ago the UHF TV band was not growing in use as expected so the first few channel allocations were allowed public safety use in several large cities across the US. Example: Brockton, MA uses 483 MHz and I believe this is the highest "TV Band" freq used in this area for public safety use.

Status
Not open for further replies.