SDSO Rural Dispatch Gone Quiet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rekd

I've got a Radio Shack Pro-106 and as of about a week ago I'm not hearing ANYTHING from SDSO Rural Dispatch. I'm picking up Poway and Santee no problem. When I manually go to 850 there is nothing. Even when I turn the squelch all the way down. I don't think I've accidentally changed anything and as you can see I've got over a thousand hits on that channel.

Here are the settings.

win500-1.jpg

win500-2.jpg

Has the frequency been changed or am I fubar'd?

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Where are you located? "Rural San Diego" is a very larger area, covered by many RCS sites.

The way SmartZone operates, if there is no unit active in the area you are in, the talkgroup will not be broadcast. It may well be that the units in your immediate area are not logged onto the system.

JoeyC

Rural is often patched with Poway. Most scanners don't display patches properly. You'll get Rural by listening to the Poway TG.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Joey beat me to it. When Poway and Rural are patched, you will either hear them both on the Poway talkgroup or both on the Rural talkgroup. Keep an eye out for "Ptch" in the top left corner of your screen... This is to alert you that the talkgroup is patched.

Rekd

Thanks. That would explain why Poway is suddenly more active. Odd that I don't hear anything going on in the rural areas like I did.

Rekd

I think San Diego Sheriffs Office Rural Dispatch has changed. In the last week I have not heard one broadcast that references East Poway, Ramona, Julian or anywhere out there. It's like they dropped off the map. The traffic I'm hearing from Poway and Santee Sheriff is not encompassing the rural areas.

Anyone else in San Diego that listened to SDSO Rural Dispatch (ID 850 on my Pro 106) notice they have gone quiet or are you still hearing them?

JoeyC

ID 850? Rural is 34560 and Poway is 34544. Last week when I last visited this thread there was an operation to locate a missing hiker in Pine Valley? which was heard. Right now I am hearing some conversation with an 80 (Ramona) unit about a residence the deputy cannot find off a dirt road. Poway and Rural are still patched.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
I think San Diego Sheriffs Office Rural Dispatch has changed. In the last week I have not heard one broadcast that references East Poway, Ramona, Julian or anywhere out there. It's like they dropped off the map. The traffic I'm hearing from Poway and Santee Sheriff is not encompassing the rural areas.

Anyone else in San Diego that listened to SDSO Rural Dispatch (ID 850 on my Pro 106) notice they have gone quiet or are you still hearing them?

East Poway and Ramona are not in Rural's area of operation. They are part of the Poway Command. As I am sitting here typing this, both Poway Dispatch and Rural Dispatch are patched and carrying the same radio traffic (a medical aid in Ramona).

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
ID 850? Rural is 34560 and Poway is 34544. Last week when I last visited this thread there was an operation to locate a missing hiker in Pine Valley? which was heard. Right now I am hearing some conversation with an 80 (Ramona) unit about a residence the deputy cannot find off a dirt road. Poway and Rural are still patched.

Ramona units are 44.

Rekd

Sorry, my bad. In Win500 the ID number is 850. The ID number for SDSO Rural Dispatch is 34560, but as I said it has been quiet for over a week. I am currently listening to them trying to find the guy in the white chevy stuck in the sand with a dead cell phone for the last couple hours but it's not on Rural Dispatch and not in the areas I'm used to hearing about in from Rural.

I have been listening to Rural Dispatch for a couple years now and am very familiar with their beat and have not heard a peep from them in over a week. I posted screen shots of my scanner on that channel. I don't think I've changed any setting without realizing it. I even reloaded a nearly year old scanner file that I know has Rural Dispatch on it and it is quite.

Thanks for the help. I'll keep listening to Poway Dispatch and see if there are any events in the areas I'm used to hearing from Rural Dispatch.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
One factor that may be at play here is the areas that Rural Dispatch is allowed to transmit in.

Rural does not transmit on the RCS sites serving the Poway area (North Simulcast). Rural is allowed to transmit from two sites (cells) north of Escondido that may reach into Poway where you are, as well as the Northeast and East Simulcast cells. But for the talkgroup to actually transmit on a cell, there must be a user radio turned on and listening to that talkgroup in the service area of that cell.

If the (resident) Rural deputies in a given area are not listening to the radio, the talkgroup will not transmit in that area of the County.

Rekd

Today when we got home from playing in the snow at Julian I turned the scanner on and heard a fondly familiar voice on channel 850, SDSO Rural Dispatch is broadcasting again. Or I'm picking up their broadcasts again. No idea what was going on but the problem is solved.

Thanks all for the suggestions and tips everyone.

Rekd

SDSO Rural Dispatch has gone quiet again. Been at least 3 days since I've heard them, WTF!?

Does anyone else who listens specifically to this still hear them?

JoeyC

Coming in loud and clear on the Poway talkgroup as usual. Just dispatched a welfare check at a Julian address.

Status
Not open for further replies.