My introduction thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PA_Curmudgeon

Premium Subscriber
So, just opened my GRE-800, batteries installed and charging, software installed, and I just finished downloading and transferring... *something* ...to the scanner! I'm not sure what, but I turned it on and was receiving something. Sounded like local PD.

This is my first venture back into scanning since my Bearcat 101 and Bearcat Handheld back in the 70's, and I'm looking forward to toying with the fucntions of the 800.

Anyway, the awesome part is that I don't have any questions yet! The software interface looks really complex, yet intuitive. I really like the layout at first glance.

I'm currently using some "Titanium PowPower 2300mAh Ni-MH" batteries. Is there a battery and recharger set that most agree is preferred, or is does it not really matter? (OK, there it is, my one question) Right now I'm recharging in the 800, and I've read where many folks advise against it.

It's crazy here in the household on Christmas Eve, this year it's our turn to celebrate Christmas on the Eve and all the family is here. I'll play around with this new toy a lot more in the next few days, and I'm sure I'll come up with a couple idiotic questions.

Apparently it's an ancient tribal initiation and we all have to go through it. :p

troymail

Silent Key
So, just opened my GRE-800, batteries installed and charging, software installed, and I just finished downloading and transferring... *something* ...to the scanner! I'm not sure what, but I turned it on and was receiving something. Sounded like local PD.

This is my first venture back into scanning since my Bearcat 101 and Bearcat Handheld back in the 70's, and I'm looking forward to toying with the fucntions of the 800.

Anyway, the awesome part is that I don't have any questions yet! The software interface looks really complex, yet intuitive. I really like the layout at first glance.

I'm currently using some "Titanium PowPower 2300mAh Ni-MH" batteries. Is there a battery and recharger set that most agree is preferred, or is does it not really matter? (OK, there it is, my one question) Right now I'm recharging in the 800, and I've read where many folks advise against it.

It's crazy here in the household on Christmas Eve, this year it's our turn to celebrate Christmas on the Eve and all the family is here. I'll play around with this new toy a lot more in the next few days, and I'm sure I'll come up with a couple idiotic questions.

Apparently it's an ancient tribal initiation and we all have to go through it. :p

Welcome (back)!

I'm sure various folks have recommendations on batteries and chargers. I use Sanyo Eneloops and a Sanyo Quick Charge charger (although I have several chargers). The one thing folks will agree on is do not charge in the radio unless you really, really need to (last resort). I really haven't heard of any problems doing this yet but most agree it's better to damage batteries and/or an external charger than it is to damage a $400-500 radio.

You may want to have a 2nd SD card loaded and ready to go although if you make sure you power down the radio and "release" the SD card/USB connection each time, you won't have too many problems there. My cards took a slight hit earlier this week when the house power kept dropping out during a storm.

There's alot to play with -- pace yourself.

PA_Curmudgeon

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the tips troymail, looks like I'll be doing a little shopping after Christmas!

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Welcome (back)!

I'm sure various folks have recommendations on batteries and chargers. I use Sanyo Eneloops and a Sanyo Quick Charge charger (although I have several chargers). The one thing folks will agree on is do not charge in the radio unless you really, really need to (last resort). I really haven't heard of any problems doing this yet but most agree it's better to damage batteries and/or an external charger than it is to damage a $400-500 radio.

You may want to have a 2nd SD card loaded and ready to go although if you make sure you power down the radio and "release" the SD card/USB connection each time, you won't have too many problems there. My cards took a slight hit earlier this week when the house power kept dropping out during a storm.

There's alot to play with -- pace yourself.

I would suggest a good (not a fast) charger and a second (or third) set of batteries. The Maha C9000 is a good choice and can recondition the batteries (which will tie it up for a few hours). I've used mine a few times to get some "bad" batteries back working again. You could get the eneloop charger/battery set like Costco sells in addition so you have a charger for travel and if you're using the C9000 to recondition. Thomas Distributing has it on sale right now with some good batteries too (exact ones I use with almost everything). https://www.thomasdistributing.com/...-AA-2400mAh-Batteries_p_3151.html?frontpage=1

troymail is correct about turning the scanner off before connecting and disconnecting power. I found you can keep a second microSD card in the battery compartment between the middle batteries; just don't forget it's there when you swap out batteries.

As for a power outages, get a small $40-50 UPS if you tend to leave it on in one spot in the house.

For a dedicated power adapters, the BlackBerry USB-mini charges on Amazon for about $5 are good. Just make sure you get the RIM OEM ones. This goes for mobile and home chargers.

The UPS and chargers are exactly what I did for the in-laws new PSR-800 we bought them for Christmas. If you would like to know the exact items I bought, PM me and I'll get you a list.

One more thing I would suggest if you tend to handle it a lot is to get a screen protector. The screen is supposedly scratched easily. I never scratched mine since I had a protector on since day one. I bought a Zagg screen protector for a Game Boy Advanced to go on my second PSR-800; not sure how well it fits yet since it came Saturday and I haven't had time to install it.

It's a great scanner with a few quirks.

Almost forgot about the "beta2" firmware that adds full support for TDMA trunked systems. You could install it now so when/if any TDMA trunked systems come online around you (or when traveling), you're all set.

Last edited:

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
I don't like to be just a redundant "me too" guy, but that never stops me from doing it, so...
Welcome (back)!

I second (or third) that suggestion. Been monitoring/scanning for 45 years and always heard about, but never experienced any in-radio battery problems while charging them. Until about a year ago when my well used, but still $500-value Pro-96 suffered a battery meltdown and became a brick. Just one of the four batteries in the thing went south, but that was all it took.

Lots of options and opinions about battery and charger options, but I happen to live near a Costco and like Troymail, I've gone with the Eneloop NiMH batteries and charger and am completely satisfied. Since I use three portable scanners for about 90% of my listening and scanner-streaming time, I grew my collection to a dozen batteries and two (4-cell) chargers. Why, I couldn't be happier if it were Christmas.

I just noticed that Amazon.com at this URL carries them in several configurations, and their customers rate them as highly as I do. No, I don't work for any of those folks. Heck, I don't work for anybody anymore.

Welcome back to the sea-changed world of scanning, PA-Curmudgeon. Enjoy the fun and hang on as you go through the inevitable learning curves.

PA_Curmudgeon

Premium Subscriber
Thanks KMA367. Yeah I do the same with all my photographic equipment as well, charge apart and away from the spendy stuff. I actually have a 10-slot charger, IIRC it's a Maha, I just have to find it...

And the learning curve is part of the fun. I get bored if I'm not busy trying to figure something out. The more folks said the 800 was complicated, the more I wanted it.

Between the scanner and this forum I suspect I'll be well-entertained for quite a while!

Status
Not open for further replies.