Idot sc21

Status
Not open for further replies.

VASCAR2

I heard Effingham DOT on Starcom 21 this morning checking on road conditions in DOT dist 7 counties. They were on TG 7779. I haven't heard any traffic during this storm on VHF low band. I was curious if all the trucks have gotten Starcom radios or just the Supervisors. I read on here where some DOT trucks in the Bloomington area had 800 Starcom radios installed. I know the Supervisors pickup trucks had Starcom radios installed a few years ago.

When plans were being made to implement Starcom DOT didn't want to kick in any money. This is one of the reasons Illinois is leasing the system instead of buying out right.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I heard Effingham DOT on Starcom 21 this morning checking on road conditions in DOT dist 7 counties. They were on TG 7779. I haven't heard any traffic during this storm on VHF low band. I was curious if all the trucks have gotten Starcom radios or just the Supervisors. I read on here where some DOT trucks in the Bloomington area had 800 Starcom radios installed. I know the Supervisors pickup trucks had Starcom radios installed a few years ago.

When plans were being made to implement Starcom DOT didn't want to kick in any money. This is one of the reasons Illinois is leasing the system instead of buying out right.

True. Tg 4480 is the IDOT district 5 tg for this area. The RR database shows the low band channels here no longer used.
They sound good on the system too, much better than on low band. ;)

n9zas

VASCAR2

I did hear a couple of IDOT trucks on low band this morning talking truck to truck around 4 AM. We really got dumped on here. I really don't know how much snow we got but on the corner of the house by my satellite dish was waiste deep. The dish was covered with about a foot of snow.

cifn2

Feed Provider
I haven't heard them on Starcom before, but I know Low band has been unreliable if the supervisor is out in the truck in an area they are unreachable, and miss the call for their road reports. Did you happen to catch whether or not radio traffic was being handled through Effingham or was it some where else?

I do know the supervisors have IREACH, because I have heard conversations on IREACH with the local supervisors normally a single digit number such as 1, advising a law enforcement agency of accidents, or IDOT taking care of something.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I did hear dispatch talking to bloomington and clinton trucks, but was not able to tell where the dispatch was at.

n9zas

VASCAR2

I haven't heard them on Starcom before, but I know Low band has been unreliable if the supervisor is out in the truck in an area they are unreachable, and miss the call for their road reports. Did you happen to catch whether or not radio traffic was being handled through Effingham or was it some where else?

I do know the supervisors have IREACH, because I have heard conversations on IREACH with the local supervisors normally a single digit number such as 1, advising a law enforcement agency of accidents, or IDOT taking care of something.

There has been traffic between several units (snow plows & Supervisors) plus with Effingham DOT taking condition reports. The traffic is similar to what you used to hear on low band. Other than poor coverage areas the SC 21 really works better in inclement weather. Lightening in thunderstorms and skip used to really hamper operations on VHF hi and low band.

The thing that bothers me the most about SC 21 is that there are well known coverage problems throughout the state. Some of the problems could be remedied by properly aiming directional antennas. If the State owned the system the ISP Tech's would've ironed out the problems. Since Motorola owns the system and is getting paid its a non issue. They probably are meeting the 95% coverage but that 5% loss of coverage areas maybe some where you spend a lot of time and need service. Just like everything else there are pros and cons to any system. I just don't like spending that much money and having so little say.

cifn2

Feed Provider
Ah, so are you hearing anything on the old DOT low band HF channels? Or do you believe they switched that equipment out now?

Speaking of the state of Illinois, I noticed some recent grants in Clay/Richland Co, for IDNR on VHF analog frequencies. I guess the state stands behind the stability and reliability of the VHF system with towers which have a wide area coverage.

VASCAR2

IDOT still have trucks/plows with VHF low Band in my area. I heard two plows talking back and forth about conditions the night we got 12" of snow. These two trucks were in Lawrence Co. I've since heard Effingham DOT (base/yard) talking to another truck on low band. I think this truck was in Clay Co but I can't remember the unit number.

cifn2

Feed Provider
I was just wondering, since I havent monitored much lately. Didn't know if I was going to have to toss the analog for the digital. I guess the digital will monitor both either way.

cifn2

Feed Provider
7779 and 7780. 7779 - Detail A is used by all the trucks and trucks to Effingham. Detail B 7780 seems to be the alternate or non dispatch type channel used secondary. The supervisors and trucks talk back and forth on it. When Effingham is getting ready to ask for a condition report they will announce it on 7780 - and ask them to switch to Detail A to answer and give it.

cifn2

Feed Provider
As an update it appears 7787 is what Effingham District Base is using to talk to or broadcast weather messages. I believe this might be the main base channel. He asked for 10-13's in 10 minutes but didn't mention on which channel.

Last edited:

cifn2

Feed Provider
Marion County I believe is Dist 8 they are using Talkgroup 8614 between trucks. I believe the TG's which show as for example 8614 showing Salem Yard, would be the channel for that county where the yard is located. I am hearing the Marion County units off the Clay County tower.

cifn2

Feed Provider
7779 - Detail A is where Effingham Base the District Office calls up all the lead workers for road reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.