MPSCS Rebanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Don't change anything yet in your scanner. This is just setting up the radios for when they "throw the switch."

whacker

Yeah, okay. I guess I hadn't thought of that. And I know they'll run both sets for a little while (or so it's been said), so I'll just wait 'til around the 11th through the end of the month before I put 'em in, run 'em and see, check for posts here and keep my eye on the database. Thanks for the caution.

mikey60

My guess would be that you've got probably another 2-3 months before the trunking sites start being rebanded. They have to finish reprogramming all of the radios before they can start changing over the sites. This is just a guess though.

Mike

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
The way I understand it, the sites that needed to be rebanded are running both the old & new frequencies now. Once all the radios in the field are reprogrammed, the techs will go back to the sites & delete the old frequencies. And once they've done your county, you'll want the new 8CALL90 & 8TACxx frequencies programmed in if you don't already (That is if your county uses them at all).

drdispatch

Premium Subscriber
I didn't say they did.

They are *capable* of using both.

But I will defer to someone who has a broader knowledge of the system than I, since I am *just* a dispatcher.....

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, I must have been confused when you said they are running both sets now. They are capable of using the new freqs, but they are not running them now.

mikey60

The way I understand it, the sites that needed to be rebanded are running both the old & new frequencies now. Once all the radios in the field are reprogrammed, the techs will go back to the sites & delete the old frequencies. And once they've done your county, you'll want the new 8CALL90 & 8TACxx frequencies programmed in if you don't already (That is if your county uses them at all).

The 8Call and 8TAC channels are running back to back. The actual trunked frequencies are only running on the old frequencies at this point. Those won't change (at least the control channels) until all of the radios are reprogrammed to be able to use them. Voice channels could be rebanded prior to that but the control channels still need to be in the 866-869 range since that's the only place the radios that have not been reprogrammed for rebanding know to look.

Mike

drdispatch

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for providing a more complete explanation, Mike. That filled in the holes.

And according to the schedule feta92 posted, my county is supposed to be done the 18th, 22nd, & 23rd of this month. One of the Assistant Chiefs told me that they don't have scheduled times; they were told to "just show up". With as many radios as we have in the metro BC area alone, I hope they don't all show up at once....

Posted wirelessly on a teeny tiny keyboard, so please excuse any typos.

Last edited:

tbrownell

When we did the re-banding on all of the radios in Barry county we didn't have set times. We were just told to show up in Hastings on December 10th. Almost everyone showed up in the morning and had most of the radios done by noon or mid afternoon. Wasn't that bad at all.

JJ48170

Premium Subscriber
https://rccprc.com/rccpm/MI800MHZ/SitePages/Home.aspx

That link has a lot more information than the original. (Found while searching for Washtenaw County information)

I just recently got my IC-R3 working with DSD and can't seem to get a decode on the Washtenaw simulcast, although the Wayne county system is working fine (I can decode from Northville, and Romulus towers)

drdispatch

Premium Subscriber
The January MPSCS newsletter says that rebanding is generally completed for about 34 counties, including most counties south of M-20, including the Midland/Bay City/Saginaw area. The major concentration from now through March will be the Detroit Metro area - the counties of Monroe, Macomb, Wayne, & Washtenaw. So far more than 19,000 radios have been rebanded (whew!)

eng1sfd

Premium Subscriber
City of Detroit fire

going out for a visit in a few weeks, some friends that just came back from there said they had major problems monitoring due to re-banding, does anyone have info on this?

rdale

Premium Subscriber
No rebanding there that we know of, you might want to get more details?

drdispatch

Premium Subscriber
The problem they had was probably due to the simulcast system more than anything else; depending on what model scanner they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.