• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

2006 Ford Escape

Status
Not open for further replies.

AB3MT-702

Feed Provider
I need to mount a Motorola CM200 in a 2006 Ford Escape. Would like to mount it with a custom mount. Anybody know of any?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If you can do a remote head, it's pretty simple. I installed a CDM-1550 in my wife's 2009 Escape. The radio sits down under the bucket in the center console. The control head is mounted to the center console over the little long/narrow hole next to the gear shift lever. If we ever sell it, I'll remove the radio and just put some plugs in the holes I used to mount the remote head.
IMG_1403_zps44424d10.jpg

IMG_1406_zpsa066f208.jpg

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Ooops, Just looked up the CM200, and I see it isn't remote mountable. I know a company that has a couple Escapes and they mounted the radios to the right side of the center console. Not ideal for the passenger, but an option. Another choice may be to pull the center "bucket" out of the center console and mount the radio on the inside.

AB3MT-702

Feed Provider
Here is what I have to work with.

Any tips on the center NMO roof mount? That is where I plan to put the antenna.

This is my 06 escape. Will a double DIN radio mount work? How about that storage cubby?

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 3,012
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 4,743

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The NMO mount was fairly easy. Since I had not installed in one of those before, I had to do some detective work since my wife's Escape had the sun roof. I had to pull the overhead liner down to see where things were.
My antenna is mounted 25 inches from the rear edge of the roof. I had to route the coaxial cable over the top of the side curtain air bags, then down the "C" pillar (behind the rear door). From there it was under the door sill to a point next to the drivers seat. I had to fish the coaxial cable from there to up under the center console.

The harder part was getting the DC power cable from the battery to the center console. It was pretty tight in around the fire wall on the engine side, but I was able to get to an existing grommet and utilize that.

The vehicles are quiet enough that the stock speaker was sufficient. Back when I had a Yaesu FT-7800 in there, I had to run the external speaker.

It's been a good install. We've got a bit over 50,000 miles on it and we've had the radio in there since it was new. No complaints. The install was one of the harder one's I've had mainly since it was a smaller vehicle that what I was used to installing in.

There is a more detailed write up on BatLabs that I did back when I did the install:
Batboard • View topic - 2008 Ford Escape

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Oh, and the permanent mount NMO with the 1/4 wave antenna has worked very well. Being on the roof and smack in the center gives it an excellent ground plane with nothing blocking the antenna's view. With the 50 watt radio it's been a dream on road trips. The 1/4 wave VHF antenna does touch the garage door when we pull in, but the antennas are flexible enough that it isn't an issue at all.
This was one of the first personal installs that I didn't cut any corners and did everything by the book, including getting the antenna right in the middle of the roof. I have had zero issues with it and it works well.
There is some interference with the AM/FM radio when I key up the VHF, but not a problem, I usually turn it off when I'm on the radio anyway.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Not sure about the double DIN install. That would mean having to get a new AM/FM radio.
I'd shoot for the cubby hole in the bottom. See if it comes out easily. You might need to make a new plate to go over the hole that would hold the radio and the lighter socket (if you want to keep it). I think the big question is if the underside is deep enough to hold the radio. Could be a nice install if that works.

AB3MT-702

Feed Provider
I did some exploring

Yes the cubby pulls out. Did it today. I don't have the CM200, but according to the dimensions is should work there fine and have lots of room to breathe. I plan on mounting the NMO at the exact same place you did and I have a sunroof as well. No side air bags though. I already have a Yaesu FT90 mounted above the rearview so I know exactly where to grab my power from going through the firewall. I need to find somebody to bend some metal for me for a faceplate and mounting arms on the back side and I should be good.

AB3MT-702

Feed Provider
Installed

I installed the radio today.

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 12,426
  • Roof.jpg
    Roof.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,521
  • yaesu.jpg
    yaesu.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 4,354

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Nice job. I like the overhead mount, good use of that space.

Taking your time to research the install really pays off. Your's looks good. I like that you went the extra step to do the DIN install. Permanent mount NMO antennas are always a good choice. Really pains me to see some of the sloppy installs that are out there, but I know it's an individual choice. Some just want the radio in "quick and dirty", while others want it to look good, and more importantly work well. You're set up should give you many years of service.

The time spent on proper wiring makes a huge difference too. I've known guys that take short cuts on the wiring and they are constantly having to fix it. Putting the extra effort into soldering all the joints, not relying on crimped connections alone, and heat shrinking all the connections really helps too. I've done a lot of installs in my life, and I've never had one fail since I started taking the extra time on them. It's easy for me to say that since I love doing it. I probably take more time than needed, especially on my own vehicles. Doesn't always pay off on the large, multiple vehicle installs, but the peace of mind is always there.

Status
Not open for further replies.