Hartsfield Mystery Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkiBob

Premium Subscriber
As an aviation enthusiast I monitor as much as I can from Hartsfield. I recently ran across 464.1625. From listening for the past week, I can confirm it's Delta. The conversations range from fuel loads to disciplining employees. The only thing I can think is that it is part of a trunked system of some sort.

There is nothing logged on RR regarding this frequency in Georgia. I have done brief searches on the FCC database, but Delta has several pages worth. Maybe somebody knows a better way to search that.

I am 18 miles from Hartsfield and can monitor it. If you are in the area and can listen, or have knowledge of this, please let me know.

Gotta love figuring out who is on the other end :)

rapidcharger

I took the liberty of searching the ULS for that specific frequency and Delta doesn't come up.
UPS comes up but the license was canceled more than 10 years ago.

The rest of it looks like fast food restaurants. I didn't see any SMRs either.

Edit: are you sure it wasn't 462.1625? Airtran is in there.

Last edited:

SkiBob

Premium Subscriber
I am positive it is 464.1625 - C71.9. I am looking at it now. It's a very active frequency.

I said I have confirmed it's Delta, but I guess there is a possibility it's a contractor for Delta. Periodically they will mention the gate and plane they are working on. When I look it up it's a Delta plane. Following a conversation is difficult. Much like listening to 1 freq. of a trunked system.

ecps92

SkiBob

Premium Subscriber

Thanks for the search.

Groome is a van shuttle service that takes passengers from Hartsfield to the outskirts of Atlanta. Places like Columbus, Athens, etc. While listening, they talk about aircraft. I don't believe Groome works on aircraft, fuels them up, hooks up tugs, etc.

The "temporary" verbiage of this license made me curious though.

Thanks for the effort.

ecps92

Some agencies might only be found, by looking up the FRN

Thanks for the search.

Groome is a van shuttle service that takes passengers from Hartsfield to the outskirts of Atlanta. Places like Columbus, Athens, etc. While listening, they talk about aircraft. I don't believe Groome works on aircraft, fuels them up, hooks up tugs, etc.

The "temporary" verbiage of this license made me curious though.

Thanks for the effort.

CapStar362

i find it interesting they were "Disciplining" over airwaves?!?!?!? usually thats done in a office. my mother worked for DAL for 26 years..... all sorts of various jobs and positions, including some Administrative "High Up" positions, and never have i seen someone or much less while listening heard someone get "Employment Disciplining".

i dont doubt you heard it, ive just never heard or witnessed it myself

SkiBob

Premium Subscriber
It caught me off guard too. I'm sorry if I mislead, but it sounded like 2 supervisors talking about writing up an employee. This isn't something that is usually discussed in the open which is why it leads me to believe this is part of a trunked system. There are so many random things discussed.

This whole thing is puzzling, which is what makes it fun I suppose.

Buttabean

LOL, Hes right!

If they're running a PL tone, you can probably rule out trunking.

It might just be an unlicensed system. We've got lots of those in GA.

As unlawful as it sounds & is rapidcharger is right! Barrow is a good example. The HAMS that monitor with scanners can even vouche for it. Im in Lake City & will listen to see what i hear but with CSU new Mototrbo system they got im probably not gonna hear anything. I have family in forest park & when i visit with them i can pick up what sounds like the Hartsfield Jackson Airport parking lot shuttle buses on (Get This Now!) 467.7125MHz DCS:023 Which is a FRS Channel. Monitor that & let me know what u think cause ive heard the signals all the way into downtown atlanta over my Motorolas on scan & they is no way they can be running the legal 1/2 watt & be heard that far away unless they inside the ATC tower talking which i seriously doubt. They way i figured it out was they told an employee that a passenger from Intl terminal left something on their van & was waiting at domestic to retrieve it. I thought running a business on FRS was illegal anyways? But then again so is using a frequency without a license so im sure uncle charlie wont mind it one bit!

rapidcharger

I thought running a business on FRS was illegal anyways?
FRS is perfectly legal for business use. The old language of *GM*RS appeared to exclude businesses but the FCC has come back and made it clear they are not concerned with the content of your messages as long as everyone is licensed or they're all in the same family. (GMRS).

Airlines operating on GMRS is nothing new. Of course they used to be grandfathered licensees. In the past it always seemed like 460-463 with emphasis on the 462 was where a lot of airlines got coordinated which is why I asked if it was 462 instead of 464. Not to suggest that's what's going on with those shuttle buses you're hearing. A lot of people, including many hams are under the impression that FRS, MURS, etc are just open and free to use it how you'd like with as much power as you'd like on any type of radio you'd like.

Bean, your avatar says you're monitoring 5-2, does that mean you got your ticket?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I find this interesting, as Delta has a MotoTRBO 900MHz DTRS @Hartsfield. Just came back from the Dominican Republic last week, and noticed all the Delta staff toting XPR6380 radios. And the traffic coming out of them was in TRBO mode, could tell by the audio. So why they would be on UHF analog IDK.

Gotta be some contractor.

wtp

two

i see you mentioned you don't hear everything could be..

LTR and you have one channel or
its a mix of signals (try two radios at once to search)
remember for them to mix they must both be transmitting

rapidcharger

I find this interesting, as Delta has a MotoTRBO 900MHz DTRS @Hartsfield. Just came back from the Dominican Republic last week, and noticed all the Delta staff toting XPR6380 radios. And the traffic coming out of them was in TRBO mode, could tell by the audio. So why they would be on UHF analog IDK.

Gotta be some contractor.

I think the only logical solution then is the OP is hearing signals that originated on Earth in 1989 that have circumnavigated the solar system, bounced off Uranus and have traveled back to earth 24 years later. What else could explain the ancient analog technology? :confused:

Buttabean

Bean, your avatar says you're monitoring 5-2, does that mean you got your ticket?

Not yet, but im taking the test on feb 7 (Anxiously Waiting & Monitoring All The Local HAM Machines EVERYDAY) & it takes about a week to get in the ULS database so i will be Transmitting in February on 146.52 but thats for local 5-10mile connections. Ive been monitoring 5.2 since i bought my scanner a yr ago. I havent transmitted to see how far i can talk but the ears have picked up from moreland ave to lake city which isnt far. Im coming though! Am i gonna get to "Rag Chew" with u on one of the local machines when i get on & Not too much longer hopefully. FRS is legal for business. Hmmm, explains why the local schools are using FRS radios then.

Last edited:

Buttabean

I think the only logical solution then is the OP is hearing signals that originated on Earth in 1989 that have circumnavigated the solar system, bounced off Uranus and have traveled back to earth 24 years later. What else could explain the ancient analog technology? :confused:

Like in the movie Contact with Matthew McConaughey & Jodie Foster? "CQ, CQ, This is W9GFO" :-D See link for more info---> Contact Intro - YouTube ROTFLMAO!

Last edited:

rapidcharger

isnt FRS part of the old BRS ( now to be MURS ) band?

I guess technically FRS 1-7 was part of the gmrs as low power splinter channels and the frequencies starting in 467 were probably part of the business pool prior to establishing FRS but I doubt those frequencies were every assigned/coordinated to any business. (see edit)
MURS on the other hand is in VHF. It consists of 2 frequencies that used to be part of the business pool that used to be hopping with activity (the ones that start in 154) and 3 more (the ones that start in 151) that were part of the business pool that I don't remember ever hearing any activity on prior to murs but apparently there were some licenses on those freqs.

Edit: Upon doing a search in the ULS, apparently the FRS frequencies were assigned not only prior to FRS but I came upon one active license that is currently licensed for one of the FRS frequencies. (WPLD687)

Last edited:

rapidcharger

Not yet, but im taking the test on feb 7 (Anxiously Waiting & Monitoring All The Local HAM Machines EVERYDAY) & it takes about a week to get in the ULS database so i will be Transmitting in February on 146.52 but thats for local 5-10mile connections. Ive been monitoring 5.2 since i bought my scanner a yr ago. I havent transmitted to see how far i can talk but the ears have picked up from moreland ave to lake city which isnt far. Im coming though! Am i gonna get to "Rag Chew" with u on one of the local machines when i get on & Not too much longer hopefully. FRS is legal for business. Hmmm, explains why the local schools are using FRS radios then.

Kenwood and Icom both make some more business oriented FRS radios. It's part of Kenwood's Pro-talk line and I forget the model number for icom. As usual, their model numbers are extremely forgettable. Motorola used to make some more rugged FRS radios for business that looked like the old sprit and radius p10/p50 radios. I'm not sure what they currently offer for FRS.

Don't forget to monitor some of atlanta's more active and entertaining ham repeaters. both uhf and vhf :wink:

Buttabean

Which One Is The Most Active To u?

Don't forget to monitor some of atlanta's more active and entertaining ham repeaters. both uhf and vhf :wink:

Which one (Machine) will i find u on by chance? U dont gotta reveal your callsign, just the main monitoring channel/ callsign of the repeater u listen/transmit on. I know W4AQL is turning popular now which will be the easiest one for me to hit with my Ed Fong & 4 watts. Test on 7th & skywarn the following week at Henry County EMA so it shouldnt be too much longer. On Feb 7th upon completion of the test i will be transmitting from the class using the callsign of a Licensed HAM with him being the "Control Operator" im gonna see what i can hit with the rubber ducky & if u on that repeater that nite u might hear me. Im that anxious!

Status
Not open for further replies.