what scanner, Crawford

Status
Not open for further replies.

seagullplayer

I am in Crawford county, what type scanner do I now need?

I have a Pro 2051, but doesn't seem to do the job now, but I may not have it
programmed right.

spooney

You will need a scanner that can receive and decode APCO-25 digital for the Safe-T system. Uniden has many models available from the first BC296d to the Home Patrol-1 model. Stay away from the BC250d and the BC785d as they require expensive digital cards installed and the firmware is not upgradeable for rebanding. GRE and Radio Shack also have several models. Go to the WIKI and look at the Radio Models page and you can get info on all the available scanners. If your on a budget I would say the older Unidens sell for about $200.00 - $300.00 on ebay or check Craigs List for good deals.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Spooney is correct - you'll need a scanner capable of digital APCO-25 and capable of handling rebanding.

Crawford County has switched a majority of their communications to Project Hoosier SAFE-T, but the PRO-2051 will still be useful for the analog frequencies still used by the fire department and highway department. Also, several surrounding counties still use analog as well.

Start here for Crawford County:
Crawford County, Indiana (IN) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

seagullplayer

Spooney is correct - you'll need a scanner capable of digital APCO-25 and capable of handling rebanding.

Crawford County has switched a majority of their communications to Project Hoosier SAFE-T, but the PRO-2051 will still be useful for the analog frequencies still used by the fire department and highway department. Also, several surrounding counties still use analog as well.

Start here for Crawford County:
Crawford County, Indiana (IN) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

All of those Freq. are in my scanner now, they no longer respond.
I guess the PRO 2015 is not capable of receiving the new SAFE-T transmissions?
I thought if it was digital and had truck I was good. Is it not "APCO-25" capable?

All I have been pickuping for months has been air plane traffic...

seagullplayer

Will a radio shack pro 197 do the job?

Also, I saw something that walmart carries that says it has GPS capability, so that it programs itself?

I will be glad when I get past four posts, this waiting a day for an answer get old fast.

Thanks for the help BTW

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Here's what you have to choose from:

Radio Shack: PRO-96, PRO-2096, PRO-106, PRO-197, PRO-18

GRE: PSR-500, PSR-600, PSR-800

Uniden: BC296, BC396xx (all variants), BC796, BC996xx (all variants), or the Home Patrol HP-1

The one you noted from Wal-Mart will NOT get you what you want...

Whatever you get, suggest that you also invest in programming software for the model you choose.
If you get the PRO-197, I can send you a file for the WIN500 software.

seagullplayer

Thanks for the info men. I have a local contact that will help me with the programming and has repeated just what you have said.
Looks like I need to save my pennies and "talk" to my wife. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.