"Strange" Signal in Forestville Cennter

Status
Not open for further replies.

uzi9mmauto

Perhaps someone could tell me what is/was going on in Forestville,Ct in the center. There is a signal on 27.145mhz coming from a small brick shed. This 'shed' is a few feet from the river there.
(Who Knows what the Floods did to it since) This is how I learned about this transmitter and it was by total accident. I was checking out a Crystal MOD Board for the extra channels in a President base. For some reason I had a wire in mind hand from it- and it fell hitting ground. (The radio
was tuned to 27.135) This is when the sounds from the speaker went from white noise to a quiet sound and a slow pulsing beacon type sound. Like a quiet car horn without the high and loud pitch. Each time I heard the 'beep' the signal went up. I also noticed when it would rain heavy
the signal would change and bounce around. Sending a data sounding audio from my usual 2-3 pounds to 7.

To a teen new to the Radio I was at awe! My instincts aimed at watershed or Alarm box. Well weeks or what later I turned off of pine st in Bristol. It passed a commuter lot-coming to a stop sign just 2-300 ft away from the river and watershed buildings. I saw my CB Radio's meter had fallen back-so i turned up the radio's audio. This is when I heard the swinging horn sound..! SO- we all know I found what I am looking for. PLEASE tell me more people!

TY I'd like to know whos receiving it and what are they receiving?

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Maybe a wireless water level meter thing? Or maybe it is something to wirelessly control the water levels?

uzi9mmauto

Hmm
So far I found a 1935 Popular Mechanics Article in which a RADIO GAUGE transmits water levels. I will keep on looking- thank You for your inputs. We will hit the nail on the head soon.
Popular Mechanics - Google Books
Yes- that frequency is one of 5 'A" Channels used for R/C devices. Even Radio Shack used it for a 'Remote' Car Alarm and a Old 27mhz Beeper Paging System.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Stream Gauge is just the term they use locally around me. My county uses VHF for theirs. 27MHz might work well if they are in simplex range. I've seen stream gauges out in the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California that had huge low band beam antennas aimed at a far off site for such things. The 27.145MHz frequency is pretty low power though, at least according to the rules, so not sure how much range they'd get. It certainly would be interesting to see exactly what they are using.

uzi9mmauto

Who and how are these stations monitored? and with the right equipment, is it legal to monitor?

Legally, any Documented US Citizen may Monitor ANY frequency. (Since Radio Signals 'Trespass' onto your private property and space and the Entity Refuses/Can't Stop That From Happening- You Have Full Rights to Monitor ANY Signal) Nextly the Local Dept. of Environmental Protection and possible the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Uses This Information to Communicate Warnings & Levels of Water etc. Also Allows the Remote Operation via Other Dwellings or Remote Controlled.

wesct

Legally, any Documented US Citizen may Monitor ANY frequency. (Since Radio Signals 'Trespass' onto your private property and space and the Entity Refuses/Can't Stop That From Happening- You Have Full Rights to Monitor ANY Signal) Nextly the Local Dept. of Environmental Protection and possible the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Uses This Information to Communicate Warnings & Levels of Water etc. Also Allows the Remote Operation via Other Dwellings or Remote Controlled.

Not True

The interception of Cellular transmissions is illegal, unless you are in the business of providing such communications.

It is also illegal to give that information to a second party.

uzi9mmauto

Not True

The interception of Cellular transmissions is illegal, unless you are in the business of providing such communications.

It is also illegal to give that information to a second party.

You had to state the obvious and that only applies to SCANNERS. Doesn't apply to Cordless phones etc. So what I said is 100% true. You may monitor ANY frequency. You can monitor cellphones on non-scanner devices etc. trust me I know as I have relatives and friends in the Federal government.
Plus I work for a communications store since 1990.
Remember what i said- that applies to SCANNERS mainly. So ANY frequency can be legally monitored. Now DE-encrypting them is a different story but not on topic here.

Last edited:

treydawgmt

Premium Subscriber
Water level monitors are used by the water department in many cities too. The town I work for has a water tower with a sensing device. This device transmits a radio signal to a computer to show changes in water level, pressure, etc.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

wesct

You had to state the obvious and that only applies to SCANNERS. Doesn't apply to Cordless phones etc. So what I said is 100% true. You may monitor ANY frequency. You can monitor cellphones on non-scanner devices etc. trust me I know as I have relatives and friends in the Federal government.
Plus I work for a communications store since 1990.
Remember what i said- that applies to SCANNERS mainly. So ANY frequency can be legally monitored. Now DE-encrypting them is a different story but not on topic here.

I'm not an attorney, but you need to read the laws regarding this.

A good explanation is here:

ELECTRONIC MONITORING PART I

I'm done here.

Trinity-Explorations

Duplicate account of Tom Sherman
Banned
So can this legally be monitored? and with what program? because i live about 1/4 mile from a station that monitors the local rivers that lead into the long island sound and i am wondering if i can monitor this because my neighborhood floods constantly because of the river overflow. I want to say they are monitored by the local Regional Water Authority or the City?
I am just wondering what type of equipment it takes to decode this type of information?

uzi9mmauto

So can this legally be monitored? and with what program?

Well the issue is with the case in Connecticut is we are merely semizing which function the frequency is on. Now in almost every area in the country- they are using directional microwave
transmitters. This as you know makes monitoring virtually impossible and in case you don't know will explain why. Once your up on microwave bands- throw out what you know about Radio. You no longer use Antennas and Coax. Its all copper tubing inside instead of wire for the RF. Then you do not use an antenna. You use a HORN or 'waveguide' which is frequency specific and very very directional like a thread of yarn.

The extents you'd have to take would be like putting your hand in front of a flashlight, killing the
microwave system. I wouldn't doubt its a Duplex system.

Aside from the NOAA frequencies and your Local and State Water Department and possibly FEMA, forget monitoring unless its on a lower frequency. Its possible you could find its down link frequency however. In my case a standard CB or receiver with decoder attached. (We haven't fully determined all the needed info to share the info you need to do so yourself)

Sorry- We are still working on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.