Multilateration in California

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Was this instigated by that email that was sent out? I received it but I already had the options turned on.

kma371

QRT
Was this instigated by that email that was sent out? I received it but I already had the options turned on.

what options need to be changed out here? I'm getting ADSB equipment back (had loaned it out and its' being returned) and want to set it up correctly.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Per their email (that didn't apply to me yet I got it anyway):

Please would you consider enabling "Allow Remote Mlats" in PlanePlotter->Options->I/O settings and also "Enable Hypersharing" in PlanePlotter->Options->Sharing->Setup. These two will improve the update rate of your shared data and will also increase the total number of successful Mlats, which will benefit all Master Users.

kma371

QRT
Per their email (that didn't apply to me yet I got it anyway):

didn't apply? I think because your a ground station sending raw data it would have. I didn't get anything, but I don't have raw data...will tomorrow though.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Didn't apply as in I have the options turned on. Unless they blanket sent it to all raw data suppliers.

Solar Impluse and Virgin Galactic

I have increased coverage of Ca by adding a further SMU in the hope that we can get a few hits from Solar impulse this week

Its test flight last week did appear.

The a/c is full Mode S ADS-B but understand that only Mode S will be used , so Mlat will be needed to locate it

Hex is HB-SIA 4B3058

Ca sharers also caught data from the Virgin Galactic flight a couple of days ago
Both Carrier and SS2 are Mode S

N348MS A3DC2A VIrgin Galactic carrier

N339SS A3B8DF SS2

After release SS2 climbed to 53,800 feet.
When the next test takes place it will be interesting to see if the Mode S data registers above 60,000 feet!

mibzzer15

Hmm hopefully I can get some of the data from Solar Impulse. I just got my station setup last weekend and have been running pretty good here for a while. Any idea what the flight path is? I may move my station (a laptop that sits inside my house) to get better data either from the North or the South. Right now I mainly have it setup running 24/7 from the south, but I can maybe move it for a couple hours to get better coverage from the North. I am sharer +ao on the map if you have the sharerlocations.gpx file and can see me there.

Hmm hopefully I can get some of the data from Solar Impulse. I just got my station setup last weekend and have been running pretty good here for a while. Any idea what the flight path is? I may move my station (a laptop that sits inside my house) to get better data either from the North or the South. Right now I mainly have it setup running 24/7 from the south, but I can maybe move it for a couple hours to get better coverage from the North. I am sharer +ao on the map if you have the sharerlocations.gpx file and can see me there.

Mlats caught it over the Golden Gate Bridge last week....I think your station is fine where it is as it is nicely between yz and Co

I suspect the plan is to fly due east although the main web page doesnt seem to be giving details yet.

Max alt is 30,000 feet but suspect he'll settle for about 10,000...all depends on weather conditions I suppose ..... and where the best wind layer is.

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Well looks like he is showing up on PP. I see only one GS has it at the moment. The website for the project is showing some excellent information about the flight live. Hope to catch it when it nears Phoenix from down here in Tucson :)

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I increased my antenna height yesterday. I may be able to increase it a little more. I have a significant tree line that is unfriendly to aircraft WNW of the Fresno area, unless they have some altitude. Fortunately, there are a bunch of stations around San Francisco. It would be great if a Ground Station was in Bakersfield to complement the coverage of the Central Valley. Another station in Tahoe, or Sacramento would really get it done. East of me, station Qz does a fine job at the edge of my reception.

kma371

QRT
I increased my antenna height yesterday. I may be able to increase it a little more. I have a significant tree line that is unfriendly to aircraft WNW of the Fresno area, unless they have some altitude. Fortunately, there are a bunch of stations around San Francisco. It would be great if a Ground Station was in Bakersfield to complement the coverage of the Central Valley. Another station in Tahoe, or Sacramento would really get it done. East of me, station Qz does a fine job at the edge of my reception.

What receiver are you using I forget?

FYI, i'm working on a remote for Lodi, 30 minutes south of sac. Its installed just need to get it running.

I'm also trying to get a Fresno & Chico station with contacts I know in those locations.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I am using the Kinetic SBS-1eR with a DPD antenna. I am in Clovis, adjacent to Fresno. My coverage is pretty good from Tahoe, to Los Angeles and just East of the Sierra's to the coast. When aircraft get below 25k-15k feet I lose them at the far end of my receive.

PlanePlotter is usually up to date and BaseStation is 1.2.3.168 on the software and 517 on the firmware. Both seem to work fine and an update to Windows7 on that machine has kept it steady for some time now. My setup appears to always be a Sector Master User; presumably for it's uptime, coverage and location.

Do you know if there's a device that will work with PlanePlotter and Planefinder that doesn't need to use the computer? Just configure it and then let it do it's job? A device like that would be easy to deploy and I could put up a few at other locations. I've been busy over the last year and only had time to update PP, so I'm not sure what's new. I may be going off topic here. PM me if there are other solutions unless others could benefit from the information.

Lodi would be great! rL is to the East and a Lodi station would overlap nicely with existing stations and cover areas to the North.

kma371

QRT
I am using the Kinetic SBS-1eR with a DPD antenna. I am in Clovis, adjacent to Fresno. My coverage is pretty good from Tahoe, to Los Angeles and just East of the Sierra's to the coast. When aircraft get below 25k-15k feet I lose them at the far end of my receive.

PlanePlotter is usually up to date and BaseStation is 1.2.3.168 on the software and 517 on the firmware. Both seem to work fine and an update to Windows7 on that machine has kept it steady for some time now. My setup appears to always be a Sector Master User; presumably for it's uptime, coverage and location.

Do you know if there's a device that will work with PlanePlotter and Planefinder that doesn't need to use the computer? Just configure it and then let it do it's job? A device like that would be easy to deploy and I could put up a few at other locations. I've been busy over the last year and only had time to update PP, so I'm not sure what's new. I may be going off topic here. PM me if there are other solutions unless others could benefit from the information.

Lodi would be great! rL is to the East and a Lodi station would overlap nicely with existing stations and cover areas to the North.

I think the radarcape being developed is a standalone receiver.

we really could use the raw data from that sac station vD but he's not using a compatible receiver

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Who's the other SMU now that your zj is off the list until he fixes your coverage area? I cannot read the characters, as there's too many stations clumped together to identify the SMU.

Anyways, it's nice to see the automlat's. My coverage is about 180nm.

Status
Not open for further replies.