One Firefighter Dead, Several Injured In Bryan Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
The last transmission the firefighter sent was that he was low on air. I heard this. He said he had gotten "separated from his partner" and was low on air. When command told him to exit the building, he said he couldn't find his way out and that "the [hose] was covered with debris".

The incident got very serious very fast. Merely two minutes into the incident, command requested an additional ladder from College Station, and that fire admin be notified of the incident and should respond, something that I only recall happening a few times in my nearly 10 years of listening to scanners. Then, things went chaotic. Command ordered all units to evacuate the structure. After the firefighter said he was trapped, command requested that a crew go back in to find him. When that happened, there was a series of muffled, confused transmissions that I couldn't quite make out, and then someone saying they had a "firefighter down". After that, command requested an additional four ambulances, as well as a second alarm. More units responded. Again, command ordered all units to evacuate the structure. A little while later, command requested the two helos and a third alarm, and then ordered all units to "back off" and go into "defensive mode". At the time, I didn't know who was being transported and why. I originally thought that maybe there was an event going on and that the people who were being transported were attendees. Injured firefighters were the last thing I would have thought, let alone a fatality. So I was shocked this morning when I checked the news and heard that there were injuries and a fatality, and even more so when I realized I had heard Lt. Eric Wallace's last transmissions. I can't remember a firefighter ever getting killed in an incident before around here.

Last edited:

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Apparently, according to someone who was working at the ER when the firefighters were brought in said that one of the ones who was awaiting transfer to UTMB-Galveston had burns to over 70% of his body and was suffering from multiple organ failure. I suspect that this was the second firefighter who died.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Scrotumola, I am surprised that you are the only other person who has commented on this post. Where is everybody? TWO FIREFIGHTERS ARE DEAD HERE, COME ON YOU GUYS!!

Last edited:

simplec6

Got the second email this morning about these two LODD's.

Can't believe it, may these two heroes Rest In Peace.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Here are some new articles that came up:

Details for Public Memorial Service Honoring Bryan Fire Lieutenants

Bryan Fire Chief Reveals Cause of Deadly Fire

Rapid Intervention Team Injured in Deadly Fire

New Bryan Fire Department Shirts Benefit Fire Victims and Families

Just FYI, operations for the event can be found on Bryan EVENT-1, GCI LAW 1 and GCI LAW 4 on TxWARN.

Also, I heard that 150-200 fire trucks from all sorts of different departments (Austin and Houston among others) will be in the procession.

Last edited:

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Just in: Houston Fire Department firefighters are currently staffing the Bryan Fire stations.

fasteddy64

I have been a firefighter for 23 years, these stories are hard to read, I really am at a loss for words.
Lord Have Mercy.

Scrotumola, I am surprised that you are the only other person who has commented on this post. Where is everybody? TWO FIREFIGHTERS ARE DEAD HERE, COME ON YOU GUYS!!

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
When I read the news the next morning, I was TOTALLY stunned. I thought, "My God, I heard a firefighter die last night."

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I listened to it as well, may God be with the families........

-R

Wallace was designated as "TL-1" during the fire. I do remember them getting panic alarms from him right before he died. Pickard was designated "L-5".

Last edited:

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
LT Wallace was riding as L-1 (Engine 1 Lieutenant), TL1 is Truck 1 Lieutentant

Oh, right. It was a big mess radio-wise during the incident, and it was hard to tell who was injured. The only thing I was able to tell was that there were firefighters in trouble. Also, I didn't hear any of the FFs say over the radio that they were injured until one said they had a "firefighter down".

Status
Not open for further replies.