MOBILE, Ala. Mobile Police Radio Black Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Probably one of the better reports I've seen.
It's clear that in law enforcement, there are two schools of thought- those who have no problem with citizens listening in, and those who do NOT want citizens to listen into their communications.

Once again, we see how scanner apps are cited as being a reason for encryption by those on the side of encrypting everything, though they were "unable to quantify specific cases" of such apps being used to aid offenders in specific cases. These are also the same who use the 9/11 Security Theater card like clockwork to justify their use of encryption, procurement of expensive trunked radio systems, et al.

abbadabbado

mobile enc.

cable channel last night CRIME AN INVESTAGATION had a program about corrupt law enforcement officers there final thought was if no one is listening an watching law enforcement then there is a large properbality of corruption in that department. to me that says it all so what does MOBILE PD HAVE TO HIDE we will never know. i do know in florida corruption is rampant. latest NEW PORT RICHEY POLICE OFFICER DEALING DRUGS OUT OF HIS PATROL CAR . a decorated officer currently in jail

szron

As MTS2000des said

Two kinds of police.

Ones that see public as an ally and those that see public as a threat.

I hope the public will consider that on next mayor/sheriff elections.

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
I was talking to a buddy of mine the other day about this encryption BS. He said in 26 years of being in Law Enforcement, he only ever encountered 1 person who had a scanner during the course of a crime, and that was really pushing to say it was used during a crime. ( being it wasn't even programmed to the proper jurisdiction , and it was in the kitchen where his grandmother probably left it)

But he HAD said on numerous occasions prior to their system being encrypted, they would get phone calls after a BOLO went out , giving them information about possible suspects and or vehicles being spotted because people HEARD IT.

szron

they would get phone calls after a BOLO went out , giving them information about possible suspects and or vehicles being spotted because people HEARD IT.

I probably almost caught/spotted (of course I wouldn't approach him but report to the pd) a thief from a mall because I was driving right pass it and a BOLO went out. Stupid me turned to the wrong mall entry.

But before this turns into your yet another RR encryption busting thread I want to make a positive point about the report itself. First time I've seen journalists taking this so seriously and in more or less technically accurate manner. Even though sometimes we cringe when they butcher technicalities of radio communications I think that they are our most powerful allies if we want to keep things in the open.

KE5TLF

Already posted where it belongs:
http://forums.radioreference.com/al...rum/193366-mobile-city-cnty-radio-system.html

Such a great story that they completely omit that what they are doing is switching to ProVoice, which is a pretty effective move in and of itself for shutting out scanners. Encryption on top of that is more of a waste of money than anything else. A point they should have brought up but didn't. Now when they switch again to P25IP then encryption will be the main issue.

Last edited:

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
As for the scanner apps on the phones... If the perp can out run a cop who has a 20-30 lead (due to internet delay) then the perp deserves to win..
The scanner apps are delayed by nature..

So where will encryption add any advantage to the cops?.

rapidcharger

That was the best media coverage of encryption I've ever seen. Very thorough and for a change they talk about it before the fact rather than after. They spent a lot of time explaining it. The interviews probably could have been a little more balanced but the fire chief said it best... "We just don't have anything to hide."
I'm a little surprised that there aren't more comments on the web site from non scanner owners. I guess they probably should have talked about how much going incognito has cost and will cost the taxpayers. Personally, bad cops are going to hide no matter what. Before DTRS, they'd just switch to their nextel for the stuff they didn't want over the air. It's the cost of going digital "due to 9/11" that bothers me the most. Especially when the agencies that repsonded to 9/11 on 9/11 didn't even go digital.

I love that shot where they cut to one of the facebook pages for the police department that will be telling the public everything they need to know on facebook and twitter and it showed a big "LOL cat" picture.
rofl.gif
. That just says it all right there.
I can haz encryption.

med2365

Hey Y'all,
This is very bad thing.
I thought the public was the eyes and ears of the police department.
How many time has PD said over the radio looking for someone or something.
And the public called in to say hey. The car or person your looking for is over here.
I understand why sometime certain information should be encrypted.
I like to listen what is going on in town.
I work for the EMS / Sheriff department side.
I do believe one day this will come back and bite the departments who use encryption full time.

sc800

What's easier to do:

Encrypt police radio transmissions

or

Teach officers not to act like pubescent 13 year olds on the radio (ie. no pointing out women, or how ugly kids involved in traffic stops look, etc)

KE5TLF

The interviews probably could have been a little more balanced but the fire chief said it best... "We just don't have anything to hide."

Again, it's irrelavent since they too have already made the switch to the MC EDACS and are also using ProVoice. THIS is the REAL fact that will shut out all but the most saavy monitoring enthusiast. The very, very few with the skills, dedication and resources to run a DSD setup.

bnndesk

Premium Subscriber
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Take a look at the interesting article published last year in the Spec.com... All we can say is "Who will watch the watchers?" Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Interesting... | Facebook

balibago

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
What type of encryption will they be using? Where is the hacker this country desperately needs who will post on an overseas website how to break this crap. Hey how about using some drones to give the public real time info. on where the marked units are.

ProducerGuy

A detective friend of mine (and MTS2000des as well) pointed out that, and I quote, "we don't say anything over the radio that we care if it's overheard or not". That's what a "signal 59" (meet me/meet with) is for.

ProducerGuy

Probably one of the better reports I've seen.
It's clear that in law enforcement, there are two schools of thought- those who have no problem with citizens listening in, and those who do NOT want citizens to listen into their communications.

Once again, we see how scanner apps are cited as being a reason for encryption by those on the side of encrypting everything, though they were "unable to quantify specific cases" of such apps being used to aid offenders in specific cases. These are also the same who use the 9/11 Security Theater card like clockwork to justify their use of encryption, procurement of expensive trunked radio systems, et al.

Hey MTS2000des, are you referring to anyone we both know who might have used that 9-11 Security Theater card in certain "kickoffs" of certain brand-new trunking systems ????? They all love to play "terrorist under every rock" to the naive public, but for those, like us, who THINK about this thing, we know it's all.....well, as you said.....theater.

fdscan

Personally, I think that taxpayers should be able to listen to their government agencies. Them encrypting a system makes you wonder if there is something they don't want the taxpayers hearing.

rapidcharger

Personally, I think that taxpayers should be able to listen to their government agencies. Them encrypting a system makes you wonder if there is something they don't want the taxpayers hearing.

I'm reminded of the customary phrase heard in every episode of every cop show ever created when the suspect flees on foot and the K9 unit comes out and a perimeter is set up and the air unit is flying overhead with the Nightsun and they finally track down the suspect hiding in a storage shed in someone's backyard. The suspect always proclaims they didn't do anything and the cops always say when they drag the suspect out "If you haven't done anything wrong, why are you hiding?"
It looks just as suspicious when the cops run and hide as it does when a suspect runs and hides especially when an increasing number of amateur video surfaces of cops abusing their power and violating laws themselves.

A little bit of good faith goes a long ways in most communities and encryption just leaves the mind to imagine all sorts of abuses. Unfortunately not enough people stand up and speak out against it. This TV news report hopefully raised some awareness.

gtaman

I hate encryption but its out there. What I wish is they only encrypt the records channels. Or any hazardous channel. That's what the military does.

Status
Not open for further replies.